Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Wisler Signs with Giants

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,651 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 10:15 AM

It didn't take long for Matt Wisler to find a new home. The right-hander who was non-tendered by the Twins less than a week ago has signed a one-year, $1.15 million contract with the San Francisco Giants. 

For that price, it's clear that the Twins simply did not believe that his 2020 season was repeatable, probably based on the BB/9 and HR/9 rates. 

• Dman, Vanimal46, nclahammer and 2 others like this

#2 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,900 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 10:31 AM

Wow, they wouldn't even give him $1.15M? I'm going to be upset if Wisler has another good year, especially if the Twins' bullpen regresses in 2021.

#3 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 757 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 08 December 2020 - 10:40 AM

Going to another league w/ a whole new group of hitters would be advantageous for him.I`m surprised how quick this went down & that Wisler agreedtothis amount.Wish him well

• Dman, wabene and chinmusic like this

#4 Dman

Dman

• 1,965 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:42 AM

I think that is a good investment for the Giants.I don't think he will be as good as last years numbers but I think he will hold his own.Seems hard to believe the Twins let him go for such a small amount of money.They really must not be believers and I guess they should know.

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,651 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 10:18 PM

I'm sure it had much more with believing in his xFIP than buying into his ERA. They clearly were as concerned by his walk rate as they were by his K/9. 

I'm still surprised. I think we all thought he was a given to tender a contract at like $1.5 million, but they're analytics and coaches must not believe his 2020 is likely to be sustained. 

• Dman likes this

#6 chinmusic

chinmusic

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 51 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 09 December 2020 - 07:32 AM

I think the 60 game season skewed every players stats.

For example, on the good side, Maeda (hope I'm wrong) and on the not so good, Kepler.

#7 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,142 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:22 AM

Something didn't register with me until now: In a previous discussion, a mark against Wisler being able to succeed was an unsustainable 99.3% left-on-base percentage in 2020. That's a really high percentage of anything in a short season (he pitched 25.1 innings, or 107 plate appearances). The smallest ratio I can come up with that rounds to 99.3% is 133/134. How is LOB% computed, so that there were 134 (or more) runners to keep track of in such few innings?

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.