Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins interested in Enrique Hernandez & Joakim Soria

enrique hernandez joakim so
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 757 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 06 December 2020 - 01:56 PM

https://www.cbssport...ade-sonny-gray/

Twins are interested in Hernandez (utility) & Soria (RP). Happy to hear that because Hernandez is the best solution in the FA to address our need for super utility like never before. LAD might be interested to resign him , if so I`d be interested in a trade for Chris Taylor (LAD, utility)

Soria is also a viable FA selection at BP. I believe FO is on the right track

• nclahammer likes this

#2 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• 303 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 06:27 PM

Agree Doc Gast Either Taylor or Hernandez would be a good fit Taylor can actually play some SS in a pinchZeke has more power Taylor makes more consistent contactBOTH have LOTS of Post season experience.

Soria would be O.KBut I would like to see an impact arm like Hendricks or Hand with all the league minimum guys we will have on our roster.

• LA VIkes Fan and Doctor Gast like this

#3 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,142 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 December 2020 - 09:05 AM

I went back to look at what was on MLB Trade Rumors two years ago regarding Marwin, and the wording about "interest" on the part of the Twins was almost identical to what we're seeing now for Kee-Kay. Book it?

• Doctor Gast likes this

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#4 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,762 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 09:39 AM

As long as they're part of something bigger, it's fine, but neither on their own does much for me.

Kike's defensive flexibility would be nice as it might eliminate the Turtle problem and he doesn't appear to be a big liability anywhere, but his OPS+ is less than inspiring.

And if Soria is a complimentary to someone like Hand, Hendriks or Rosenthal, then I'm all for it. If he's the "big get" for the pen, then they failed mightily.

• DocBauer and puckstopper1 like this

#5 darin617

darin617

• 1,575 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:38 PM

Best solution to the utility position would be to move Polanco to it. Find a solid defensive shortstop and you would be amazed how much better the team would be by making such a simple move.

#6 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,259 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 05:49 PM

I was like "who the hell is Enrique Hernandez?"

But I know Kike.

• Doctor Gast likes this

#7 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,416 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 07:27 PM

As long as they're part of something bigger, it's fine, but neither on their own does much for me.

Kike's defensive flexibility would be nice as it might eliminate the Turtle problem and he doesn't appear to be a big liability anywhere, but his OPS+ is less than inspiring.

And if Soria is a complimentary to someone like Hand, Hendriks or Rosenthal, then I'm all for it. If he's the "big get" for the pen, then they failed mightily.

This sounds like a repeat of the winters before the 2018 and 2019 seasons only there was a whole slew of guys who got paid $8M or more.Those players have collectively produced 1 WAR per $40M spent and I have posted the details here in the past. So, I have a hard time concluding the front office will have "failed mightily" if they decide to invest elsewhere. 

• jud6312 and Doctor Gast like this

#8 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,416 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 07:34 PM

Best solution to the utility position would be to move Polanco to it. Find a solid defensive shortstop and you would be amazed how much better the team would be by making such a simple move.

I am coming around to this viewpoint. Partially because I think there could be some relative bargains this year. The big market teams are going to wait on the bumper crop next year. We also have an intriguing international posting. If nothing else a slick fielding SS is a lot of fun to watch.

• DocBauer and wabene like this

#9 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Ft Myers Miracle

• 351 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 08:24 PM

Just get Liam Hendriks, our new Joe Nathan. Control and power are a fine combo.

• jud6312 likes this

#10 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,762 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 12:13 AM

This sounds like a repeat of the winters before the 2018 and 2019 seasons only there was a whole slew of guys who got paid $8M or more.Those players have collectively produced 1 WAR per $40M spent and I have posted the details here in the past. So, I have a hard time concluding the front office will have "failed mightily" if they decide to invest elsewhere.

And the Twins won how many playoff games following those two off-seasons and an alternative free agency plan?
  • USAFChief likes this

#11 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 757 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 08 December 2020 - 08:53 AM

I`m not saying that these FA options are my 1st choice but they're a step in the right direction. If we do end up signing these 2, it`d be an improvement

• DocBauer likes this

#12 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,416 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 09:04 AM

And the Twins won how many playoff games following those two off-seasons and an alternative free agency plan?

That statement is so misguided I don't know where to start. They didn't go far in the playoffs so the solution is to follow a practice that has been horribly ineffective? I would be inclined to evaluate performance/production of their investment. Players acquired as FAs produced quite nicely for us in 2019. 

The top 8 free Agent RPs in 2019 produced a total of 1.7 WAR. The cost per 1 WAR was $129M. Teams could have thrown darts at FAs for any other position and been much more effective. So, I am going to go ahead conclude that their failure in the playoffs had nothing to do with their failure to land one of the premium RPs in free agency. Actually, had they spent $25M on RPs as many here insisted was a no brainer, they might not have even made the playoffs.

• Doctor Gast likes this

#13 cmoss84

cmoss84

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 574 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 08 December 2020 - 12:23 PM

Just so happens the best defensive shortstop in the game is a FA, and could be had for a reasonable amount!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#14 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,623 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 01:09 PM

I am coming around to this viewpoint. Partially because I think there could be some relative bargains this year. The big market teams are going to wait on the bumper crop next year. We also have an intriguing international posting. If nothing else a slick fielding SS is a lot of fun to watch.

I don't see it. Marwin is likely to be replaced by a super utility player or a 5th OF. And I don't see Polanco's arm in the OF. 

• Doctor Gast likes this

#15 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,416 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 03:24 PM

I don't see it. Marwin is likely to be replaced by a super utility player or a 5th OF. And I don't see Polanco's arm in the OF. 

They might be inclined to move Polanco to 2B. I know they played Arreaz in OF but I don't really remember how well he faired there. I also am not so sure they need their utility player to play the OF given Rooker is ready and Kirilloff/Larnach are close behind. Our back-ups for anything more than 1 game might be in St. Paul instead of 4/5th OFers on the big club. Arraez might even be a trade asset if the return was right. He would be quite attractive this year to some teams given he is still on a rookie contract.

• DocBauer likes this

#16 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,762 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 03:59 PM

But if the other utility guy was someone like Blankenhorn, then Polanco wouldn't need to play in the outfield.

• wabene likes this

#17 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,085 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 08:06 PM

I'm OK with both of these guys as quality additions even if they aren't my first choices. I would prefer Profar as my "super utility" even though he can't play CF like Hernandez. But I'm OK with that. There is a lot to like about Kike, but Profar is younger, still has some upside, and might be the better bat.

I've been assuming Adrianza would be back for $1M as a 2nd utility player who is the primary backup SS. But if Hernandez were signed, he could potentially be that backup and you could sign someone like a Frazier as another solid bat off the bench in a utility role. Your bench is looking pretty good at that point.

I'm also fine with Soria as a pen addition as long as he isn't the primary signing. I don't know that Henricks or Hand will be brought on board...though it would be nice...but Yates or Bradley for $5M ish with Soria and Clippard back for $3M each could help build a really strong pen with what is on hand.
  • alphanumeric likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#18 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,085 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 08:17 PM

I am also coming around to the idea of Polanco as a super utility option and signing one of the FA SS. I don't believe Polanco was signed to be a utility player. But said proposed situation is similar to the idea of signing Profar as a utility role. The sales pitch is, you get good money to play virtually ever day on a good team but you just don't play ONE spot. The Twins seem to be attempting to copy the Dogers format of roster versatility which I applaud 100%! I'm sure some guys just want to play one spot, and feel comfortable there. But the game has been slowly changing more towards versatility.

There is a bit of a sales job involved, but again, that sales job is good money and playing daily.
  • wabene likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#19 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,623 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 08:48 PM

They might be inclined to move Polanco to 2B. I know they played Arreaz in OF but I don't really remember how well he faired there. I also am not so sure they need their utility player to play the OF given Rooker is ready and Kirilloff/Larnach are close behind. Our back-ups for anything more than 1 game might be in St. Paul instead of 4/5th OFers on the big club. Arraez might even be a trade asset if the return was right. He would be quite attractive this year to some teams given he is still on a rookie contract.

I do think they're flexible on how they achieve it, but I think in the two openings created by Marwin+Adrianza they need a backup SS and a capable OF fill-in. I'd also personally argue that Cave could do that as the 4th OF, but Marwin got a lot of OF time the last two years.

I'm also curious who the backup 3B would be. Blankenhorn has the most time there, I think. Polanco/Arraez/Gordon...or Sano on occasion? Lots of ways to do it. I'm making my predictions on how much playing time Marwin got, which might be unique to him and not his replacement.

#20 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,142 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:58 AM

or Sano on occasion?

I'd be surprised if Sano plays again at 3B, unless/until under a different manager (or analytics crew). Even with Donaldson missing significant time, Sano didn't play an inning at 3B in 2020. Marwin, Ehire, and a little smidgen of Ildemaro subbed there instead.

• stringer bell and wabene like this

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.