Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Sherman: Thad Levine a "Player" in Phillies Baseball Ops Search

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,651 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 09:57 AM

According to Joel Sherman of the NY Post, Twins GM Thad Levine may be a candidate in the Phillies search for a Director of Baseball Operations.

• dbminn likes this

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,930 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 December 2020 - 10:03 AM

I was just coming to post this. Levine is talented enough and has the experience to run a team on his own. If not this year, one of these years we're going to lose him. 

• dbminn likes this

#3 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,227 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 10:51 AM

With all the changes/unknowns all teams are dealing with this winter and next (CBA), I really hope this doesn't happen and they can keep the group together for another 22 months.  

#4 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 436 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:07 PM

Rant alert: Why do WE have to lose all our good off-field people?????

• Nine of twelve likes this

#5 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,142 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:14 PM

Rant alert: Why do WE have to lose all our good off-field people?????

Because we have good ones?

It's quite possible that one or two of Levine's underlings are ready to step up to his chair. If we don't lose him, we lose one of them. If they're just as good, perhaps we do just as well for less money.

All of baseball is a business, but the business office especially so. :)

I prefer this to having to raid other organizations and hope we're getting the ones responsible for their bosses' success. (Which we did in the cases of FalVine, and the jury is still somewhat out.)

• nicksaviking, Dman, Shaitan and 1 other like this

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,023 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 01:10 PM

Good for Thad if he gets that job; Philadelphia is a high profile gig. Falvey's crew has gotten lots of praise outside of Minnesota, I'd guess there are soon to be other internal candidates for GM, if not for Minnesota, to promote, than for other clubs to snipe. 

All things being equal, I'd stick with Lavine, but if he does leave, I'll be happy that portmanteau people use to combine Falvey and Lavine can be retired. I really don't like that the two men are always basically evaluated as one.

• h2oface likes this

#7 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,762 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 05:50 PM

They've given their blessing for an interview:

https://www.mlbtrade...osh-byrnes.html

#8 tvagle

tvagle

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,883 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 10:00 PM

All things being equal, I'd stick with Lavine, but if he does leave, I'll be happy that portmanteau people use to combine Falvey and Lavine can be retired. I really don't like that the two men are always basically evaluated as one.

Thanks for clearing things up for me...alll this time I was under the impression that Falvine was a combination of Derek Falvey and Thad Levine who knew that is was Derek Falvey and Zach Lavine

;)

I'm going to need a Falvine definition of the word IMPACT in regards to MLB Hurlers

#9 Sielk

Sielk

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 188 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 05:40 AM

Looks like he is staying.

https://mobile.twitt...071756470669313
  • h2oface likes this

#10 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 5,248 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 05 December 2020 - 05:53 AM

Looks like he is staying.

https://mobile.twitt...071756470669313

Good. I like one who is in it to finish a job. Right now, Levine is 0-6 in the post season, so I think there is still some work to do.

#11 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,494 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 05 December 2020 - 07:43 AM

It's quite possible that one or two of Levine's underlings are ready to step up to his chair. If we don't lose him, we lose one of them. If they're just as good, perhaps we do just as well for less money.

Players are scouted and developed, evaluated, signed, traded, and released/non-tendered. Coaches and managers are scouted and developed, evaluated, signed, hired away (although rarely for a lateral move) and fired/not renewed. The same thing that applies to players, coaches, and managers applies to all positions within the organization, right up to the general manager. Derek Falvey seems like a pretty intelligent fellow, so I expect that he knows all this and has contingency plans to follow in the event a member of the organization needs to be replaced for any reason.

• ashbury likes this

#12 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 436 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 10:23 AM

No contigency plan needed for right now. Thad Levine to remain with the Twins. Hey, he likes it in Minnesota. Weirdo.

• h2oface likes this