Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Rosario Placed on Outright Waiver

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 big dog

big dog

• 3,143 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:34 PM

The game ain't played on paper, me-boy!

Winners-win.

Well, Eddie has more playoff appearances than I do, but we each have the same number of wins. I don't really see any of the players on this team appropriate to label as winners.

If all I cared about was HRs and RBIs, Eddie would be my guy. But I care about wins.

#62 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 746 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 01:29 PM

Apparently not one of the 30 GMs in MLB have your unique understanding of player value.

Yes, his enthusiasm has some benefit. It also promotes frequent defensive mistakes, poor base running and a lot of absolutely horrid ABs. They might interpret winners as players like Donaldson who's intensity results in consistent ABs, solid defense and most of all consistent/excellent results. Eddie has had one period (2nd 1/2 of 2017-1st half of 2018) where he has performed above average. The other 80% of his career he has been average of below average but let's not let hard facts distract for understanding not one GM understood Eddie's value. I guess we need to understand when we win 101 games as we did in 2019 that it was Eddie willing us to win even though he was 11th in WAR among position players. Here I thought all of those players that played better than him were the key.to winning. 

Just because he wasn't picked up at the price he was looking to get in arbitration, does not mean that 30 other GMs will pass on him. 

I also don't disagree that this was the right move for the Twins given their position. I just said that Rosario might be a good buy-low candidate to produce for someone. 

A team signs him for 2/13, that is probably a good buy for a guy with his talent and a chip on his shoulder. 

#63 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,416 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 01:37 PM

Just because he wasn't picked up at the price he was looking to get in arbitration, does not mean that 30 other GMs will pass on him. 

I also don't disagree that this was the right move for the Twins given their position. I just said that Rosario might be a good buy-low candidate to produce for someone. 

A team signs him for 2/13, that is probably a good buy for a guy with his talent and a chip on his shoulder. 

What perplexes me about Rosario is that it sure seems like he picks up where the ball is going. In other words, he is not fooled but he swings anyway. At times it seems like he has made up his mind to swing before the pitch is delivered. At least that's what it looks like to me. He would be a 900 OPS guy or better If he made the opposition give him something to hit.

#64 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 746 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 01:43 PM

What perplexes me about Rosario is that it sure seems like he picks up where the ball is going. In other words, he is not fooled but he swings anyway. At times it seems like he has made up his mind to swing before the pitch is delivered. At least that's what it looks like to me. He would be a 900 OPS guy or better If he made the opposition give him something to hit.

I agree with that. 

What I don't know is that it is possible to literally "learn" plate discipline this late into a career. Sometimes, it seems that is something you either have or you don't.

Buxton also seems to have poor plate discipline. He is a guess hitter and makes his mind up before the pitch is thrown alot of time also. 

#65 dex8425

dex8425

Ft Myers Miracle

• 370 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 01:58 PM

What I don't know is that it is possible to literally "learn" plate discipline this late into a career. Sometimes, it seems that is something you either have or you don't.

Buxton also seems to have poor plate discipline. He is a guess hitter and makes his mind up before the pitch is thrown alot of time also. 

Maybe Torii Hunter? He swung at everything at age 25 and by age 30 was amore selective hitter. His bat improved. He always struck out a ton though. 

• cmoss84 and Battle ur tail off like this

#66 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 746 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 02:09 PM

Maybe Torii Hunter? He swung at everything at age 25 and by age 30 was amore selective hitter. His bat improved. He always struck out a ton though. 

Very true. Torii was a student of the game though and a tremendously hard worker. More than most I would say. Look how the guy played so long. Like you say, he was probably a better hitter in his 30s. Great example. 

#67 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,416 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 03:17 PM

I agree with that. 

I agree. That's why I doubt he is going to be a whole lot better than he has since the league adapted. However, he is really talented and I would not be shocked if he improved. I just would not bet it's going to be this year.

Rooker really impressed me with his approach. While it was a SSS, I think the Twins will be comfortable with him and Cave to start the season especially given they have Kirilloff and Larnach on the door step.

• Battle ur tail off likes this

#68 dex8425

dex8425

Ft Myers Miracle

• 370 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 01:58 PM

I agree. That's why I doubt he is going to be a whole lot better than he has since the league adapted. However, he is really talented and I would not be shocked if he improved. I just would not bet it's going to be this year.

Rooker really impressed me with his approach. While it was a SSS, I think the Twins will be comfortable with him and Cave to start the season especially given they have Kirilloff and Larnach on the door step.

Rooker really impressed me as well. The problem is he can't really play anywhere defensively and I don't see him replacing Cruz's production in the DH spot. Cruz was the best hitter in the lineup the last two years. With CWS improving in 2021, not sure Twins win the division without Cruz and Rosario. Maybe if Rooker or AK win ROY and give the Twins Aaron Judge-like production, but that's asking a lot. 

#69 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,416 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 03:14 PM

Rooker really impressed me as well. The problem is he can't really play anywhere defensively and I don't see him replacing Cruz's production in the DH spot. Cruz was the best hitter in the lineup the last two years. With CWS improving in 2021, not sure Twins win the division without Cruz and Rosario. Maybe if Rooker or AK win ROY and give the Twins Aaron Judge-like production, but that's asking a lot. 

Rooker does not have to replicate Cruz's production. They need Rooker + whatever player(s) the acquire with the salary the would have used on Cruz to be greater than what Cruz produces in 2021. They definitely need to resign Cruz If the sum of Rooker and whoever they get with the Cruz money is not a net gain.

I am not worried about replacing Rosario's production from the last couple years. He just has not been that impactful and he does not make a defensive contribution. His replacement very well might not be a given a player. It might a RH free agent + Cave and Kirilloff and/or Larnach as the season gets going.

IMO, the relative success where offense is concerned will be most influenced by what happens with all the guys who had a down year in 2020 (Donaldson/Sano/Garver/Kepler/Polanco). If 3or 4 of those guys bounce back a combination of a good utility player / Rooker / Kirilloff and Larnach should be a very good hitting team. Ya know Buck looked gook last year before he was hurt too.

#70 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

play it four word

• 10,028 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 06:55 PM

No rumors worthy of sharing here as to where Rosario will end up?

That is what i am wondering.

I am glad for him that he has his freedom, even if the money is now expected to be less than arbitration level.