Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Trevor May to the Mets?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,930 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 December 2020 - 01:14 PM

The rumor mill is heating up this afternoon. I’m afraid the Twins won’t be able to outbid the Mets if the rumors of them spending like “drunken sailors” is true.

The Mets pitching coach is Jeremy Hefner, who was with the Twins in 2019.

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,651 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 01:32 PM

He's going to set the market for the top relievers... What he signs for gives Brad Hand a sense of what he can ask for (which is just a little more than May). 

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,651 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 01:41 PM

And there it is...

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,930 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 December 2020 - 01:43 PM

Well that didn't take long... I will miss Trevor May. He blossomed into a reliable #2/3 high leverage reliever. It won't take just any arm to replace him in the 2021 Twins bullpen. 

• Twins33, dbminn and dex8425 like this

#5 Diesel

Diesel

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 649 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 01:48 PM

Wonder what the terms are.... if its 10 million per year as I suspect, I can see why the Twins didn’t spend that type of $

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,023 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 01:53 PM

Good for May, I always liked him. We'll just have to wait and see what the price was. I hope it was a crazy deal in May's favor. The Mets bullpen has had some of the best talent in the game the past few years but they all seem to fall apart at different times. Hope May fairs better.

#7 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 746 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 02:26 PM

Glad our boys could save a buck! That's the most important thing...

• dbminn likes this

#8 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,227 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:01 PM

Should be interesting in NYC with the new Mets owner sounding like he has lots of dollars to spend and didn't have to write all those checks last summer with no in stadium revenue coming in. Hell, he may give the Yankees a run to see who can have the biggest payroll.

#9 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,762 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:40 PM

Kind of assumed he would go elsewhere, now we just have to hope that they're looking for an actual replacement and not another reclamation project that moves everyone else up the pecking order a bit.

Those guys are fine, but you need to replace quality with quality, rather than quantity.

#10 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 436 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:00 PM

May to the Mets, a 2-year deal pending physical.

#11 Diesel

Diesel

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 649 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:18 PM

2 years 15 million.... I would have been fine if the Twins brought him back in that contract, but I understand there are other needs that are bigger for the team
  • DocBauer and shortround81 like this

#12 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,930 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:28 PM

He's going to set the market for the top relievers... What he signs for gives Brad Hand a sense of what he can ask for (which is just a little more than May).

Piggybacking off of your thought, Seth. If May is worth 2/15 on the market, does that put Brad Hand in the 2/17 range?

#13 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• 2,332 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 05:04 PM

Being that these days each week seems like about a month and the season seems like it ended a year ago, I could be remembering this incorrectly, but I seem to remember him tweeting good bye in a way that made me think more than likely he would not be coming back.

He seemed like a decent guy and developed to be pretty reliable.Hopefully, there will be a good replacement.Best luck to him (unless we are playing the Mets in the 2021 World Series).

• Otwins and Vanimal46 like this

#14 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,682 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 06:21 PM

I would have happily gambled two more seasons. Hoped the last two that he would develop into the Twins closer. The last guy left from all those deals for centerfielders that the Twins traded away starting with Carlos Gomez, then Denard Span and Ben Revere and ending with Aaron Hicks. Six seasons of May and one of Worley as Revere played five.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com

#15 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,900 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 09:06 PM

I would have paid him that, but I understand not wanting to throw too much money at relievers. Here's hoping we add a couple solid relievers in free agency.

#16 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,651 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 09:14 PM

Piggybacking off of your thought, Seth. If May is worth 2/15 on the market, does that put Brad Hand in the 2/17 range?

Before finishing your comment I started thinking about it. I think 3/24-27 maybe??

• DocBauer likes this

#17 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,085 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 09:21 PM

I really didn't want to lose him. And no matter they hype of potential interest in him, I just never bought in to $7M per for a non-closer in the current climate.

Shows what I know.

But, I will say this, if this was anyone but the Mets, and their new owner who not only wants to make a splash, but just got another $24M to play with AND who's pitching coach is very familiar with May, would he still have gotten a deal this big?
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#18 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,259 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 04:58 PM

Somehow I don't see him having the personality to thrive in NY.