Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Caesar Hernandez a Marwin replacement option

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 High heat

High heat

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 157 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 12:59 PM

A contact hitter with speed who has played mostly 2b the past 3seasons but has some experience at 3B and SS. Probably is just a 3B and 2b at this point but can hit and plays really good defense with speed. Would he be an option as a regular utility guy.

#2 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,171 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 29 November 2020 - 01:52 PM

He was Cleveland's starting 2B all of last season, so even though he was not re-signed I'm not sure whether he's ready at the moment to accept a role as super-sub. He could be a late signing in that role for some team, if starter's money isn't coming his way this time around, but I wouldn't make it our off-season strategy to wait him out, lest we end up with nobody of high quality.

He hit OK, so I'm presuming that Cleveland let him go due to dissatisfaction with his defense, and at 2B that isn't a very good sign going forward. Either that, or Hernandez's salary expectation was such that Cleveland couldn't reach a deal, and we're back to that being a bad omen for the Twins getting him to agree to terms.

Interesting idea but I don't see it happening.

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#3 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Ft Myers Miracle

• 353 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 03:01 PM

I watched a number of Cleveland's games and Hernandez looked really good in those games. He should get near $8 million from somebody. The Twins may want to save a few dollars here. I'm still intrigued by Nash Walker's trade for Ketel Marte to fill the utility role.

• ashbury, stringer bell and Doctor Gast like this

#4 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,908 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 03:08 PM

He was Cleveland's starting 2B all of last season, so even though he was not re-signed I'm not sure whether he's ready at the moment to accept a role as super-sub. He could be a late signing in that role for some team, if starter's money isn't coming his way this time around, but I wouldn't make it our off-season strategy to wait him out, lest we end up with nobody of high quality.

He hit OK, so I'm presuming that Cleveland let him go due to dissatisfaction with his defense, and at 2B that isn't a very good sign going forward. Either that, or Hernandez's salary expectation was such that Cleveland couldn't reach a deal, and we're back to that being a bad omen for the Twins getting him to agree to terms.

Interesting idea but I don't see it happening.

Those Indians are a tough group to please if they are dissatisfied with the defense of a gold glove 2b. 

• nicksaviking, DocBauer and Greglw3 like this

#5 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,171 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 29 November 2020 - 03:18 PM

Those Indians are a tough group to please if they are dissatisfied with the defense of a gold glove 2b. 

Then scratch that, and it's the money. LOL. :)

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#6 yeahyabetcha

yeahyabetcha

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 63 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 05:58 PM

Not really a replacement for Marwin if he only plays 2b, and maybe a little 3b

#7 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,908 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:08 PM

Then scratch that, and it's the money. LOL. :)

One shouldn't scratch in public.

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,062 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 11:56 AM

Not really a replacement for Marwin if he only plays 2b, and maybe a little 3b

I have no idea if he can play other positions, but Cleveland didn't exactly need a bench player to play 3B or SS last year. Ramirez played 58 out of 60 games last year. Lindor played them all.

• ashbury likes this

#9 yeahyabetcha

yeahyabetcha

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 63 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 12:47 PM

I have no idea if he can play other positions, but Cleveland didn't exactly need a bench player to play 3B or SS last year. Ramirez played 58 out of 60 games last year. Lindor played them all.

Given how much Marwin has played at positions other than 2b, not sure it is wise to invest several millions of dollars in a guy who has no or little experience at any of them to be his “replacement “.
  • DocBauer likes this

#10 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,130 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 30 November 2020 - 01:27 PM

What Gonzalez offered was the ability to play not only three positions in the infield credibly, but also the two outfield corners. To have someone with the capability to play second, short and third is talking about replacing Adrianza more than Gonzalez. 

#11 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,632 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 02:42 PM

What the Twins need is a backup at SS. Arraez can fill the other holes, so I think Adrianza is really the player they need to replace.

But I'm fine with somebody filling Marwin's role too. And I like speed. But, as others have more or less stated, I think that player needs to be a capable fifth outfielder too.

#12 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,100 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:32 PM

Nice out of the box thinking, but a cursory glance shows 16G at SS in 2017 and nothing since. No 3B since 2015.

Meanwhile simply for comparison sake, I see Schoop playing a surprising 17G at SS in 2018 and 17G at 3B in 2014. Very similar.

I fully appreciate Martin's ability to play a very good 1B and contribute to the OF corners. While his offense dipped in 2019, I think he was a fine addition and key contributor. It's too bad his offense went over a cliff in 2020. But IMO, while it would be awesome to have our 10th guy be able to play some OF...and there are options who can to be sure...the Twins OF depth is so great right now that that isn't a primary concern of mine.

Adrianza should be a virtual no-brainer for $1M and 1yr for his glove. Hopefully, the decent and contributing hitter he was in 2018-19 will return.

The Twins need the 10th man option to bring a decent, everyday workmanlike glove to 1B/2B/3B with solid offensive ability. That can be any number of combinations of AVG/OB and power, etc, mixed in.

The top names, of course, are Hernandez, LaStella and Profar. You might even include Turner in there if the Dogers decide to move on. MLB Traderumors has all of these guys between $6-7M. Do they really get that considering the current market? Or could one of them be snagged for $4-5M for at least 1yr?

Secondary options that are at least intriguing could include the likes of Cabrera, Frazier, Gyorko and Miller for maybe $2-3M if the market is as shallow as some expect, especially if more options are included via DFA.

I think this is a perfect time for a smartly run organization like the Twins to find a really good value for a 1 or 2yr 10th man option without breaking the bank.

And guys like Gordon and Blankenhorn get a little more time to establish themselves without undo pressure or a big drop off when called on.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown