Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Blake Snell a trade target or not

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 ToriiRules!!

ToriiRules!!

Elizabethton Twins

• 12 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 06:57 PM

I would personally be happy to offer up Kirilloff and a few other prospects for him!!! What do you guys think he would cost and would you pull the trigger or not???

#2 ToriiRules!!

ToriiRules!!

Elizabethton Twins

• 12 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 06:58 PM

The rays have been terrible developing catchers I would involve Jeffers too

#3 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• 534 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:02 PM

I'd be all for it, minus not losing BOTH Larnach and Kiriloff, as well as Lewis.

#4 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 436 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:53 PM

Some cautionary info was posted today by "harmony" over at metsdaddy.com and I thought it added some good perspective:

"Blake Snell failed to record a quality start in 16 outings this year between the regular season and the postseason. This year Snell averaged 4.55 innings per start in the regular season and 4.8 innings per start in the postseason.

This year Snell ranked 92nd among all pitchers in fWAR with 0.6 in 11 regular-season starts. Since the start of the 2019 season Snell ranks 55th in fWAR. Over his first two seasons in 2016-17 Snell ranked 81st in fWAR.

Snell’s 2018 Cy Young season appears to be the outlier. Of the 81 pitchers who tossed at least 50 innings this year, Snell at 29.4 percent easily had the highest percentage of fly balls result in home runs.

Buyer beware."

Dan Hayes of The Athletic writes it’s “unlikely” the Twins will go after the No. 1 free agent available, Trevor Bauer, or pursue trades for the Rays’ Blake Snell or the Cubs’ Yu Darvish.

Hello Jake Odorizzi?

• h2oface, LA VIkes Fan, Major League Ready and 5 others like this

#5 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,085 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:35 PM

Re-sign Oddo or talk to the Marlins.
  • LA VIkes Fan and rdehring like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#6 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,623 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:37 PM

I would personally be happy to offer up Kirilloff and a few other prospects for him!!! What do you guys think he would cost and would you pull the trigger or not???

You don't trade for a frontline starter without giving up a top SP prospect. It would cost Balzovic (spelling) plus others...though I guess the Rays got Garza without a MiLB pitcher in the deal. But that's typically how it's done.

• LoveMyPug likes this

#7 bobs

bobs

Ft Myers Miracle

• 405 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 11:22 PM

It's gonna take one of Lewis/Kiriloff/Larnach PLUS one of Duran/Balezovic.Value of Snell is higher than his actual production b/c of his affordable contract.

#8 bobs

bobs

Ft Myers Miracle

• 405 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 11:27 PM

Personally, I'd sooner see Odorizzi brought back as your #4 and keep the top prospects.

• h2oface, DocBauer, tarheeltwinsfan and 4 others like this

#9 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 757 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 26 November 2020 - 05:41 AM

I`m not a great Snell fan. Some people have some false illusion of him. They think because he can pitch a great 5 ininnings w/ occasional 6 or 7 that he`ll be a true ace, he`s good but not that good. Therefore his stock will be inflated & the Rays won`t ship him unless they get a great deal. I imagine what they want from MN is a Larnach,Balazovic & Jeffers trade & won`t settle for anything less. Which is way too high! Pitcher I`m looking for is a high untapped upside that Wes Johnson can work w/,for a bargain to fit into our budget w/o losing too much our future. Later this season we can evaluation our situation & get an ace if we think we need one

• DocBauer, rdehring, dex8425 and 1 other like this

#10 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 757 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 26 November 2020 - 05:56 AM

Some cautionary info was posted today by "harmony" over at metsdaddy.com and I thought it added some good perspective:

"Blake Snell failed to record a quality start in 16 outings this year between the regular season and the postseason. This year Snell averaged 4.55 innings per start in the regular season and 4.8 innings per start in the postseason.

This year Snell ranked 92nd among all pitchers in fWAR with 0.6 in 11 regular-season starts. Since the start of the 2019 season Snell ranks 55th in fWAR. Over his first two seasons in 2016-17 Snell ranked 81st in fWAR.

Snell’s 2018 Cy Young season appears to be the outlier. Of the 81 pitchers who tossed at least 50 innings this year, Snell at 29.4 percent easily had the highest percentage of fly balls result in home runs.

Buyer beware."

Dan Hayes of The Athletic writes it’s “unlikely” the Twins will go after the No. 1 free agent available, Trevor Bauer, or pursue trades for the Rays’ Blake Snell or the Cubs’ Yu Darvish.

Hello Jake Odorizzi?

Thanks Ace! I read that article, was very enlightening. Yes, buyers be very aware of what you`re giving away for what you're getting

#11 yeahyabetcha

yeahyabetcha

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 58 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 06:22 AM

If the goal is the best team in 2021, then trading Lewis and Balazovic for Snell AND resigning Eddie and Nelson. Along with adding the best available replacements for Marwin, Romo and May could be a strategy. I don’t see any of these happening (except signing Nelson)

#12 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Ft Myers Miracle

• 351 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:11 AM

The Rays are tricky - forget Snell. I'm hoping the Twins can swing a deal for Lance Lynn. Sonny Gray, or Yu Darvish. There are decent options on the free agent market and we should not be afraid to allow a rookie to take the #5 position in our rotation. An elite reliever is a big want for me.

• TopGunn#22 likes this

#13 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,227 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 10:28 AM

No to trading Kirilloff, Lewis, Jeffers or Balazovic. No to trading Rooker also as I have a hunch he is going to be a better big league player than in the minors. When you have guys this close who continue to play as well as they have, you hold on to them and beginning in 2022 the Twins should have a dynamite club.

Oops, forgot Larnach. Add him to that future club.

• DocBauer, Crackedfungo and yeahyabetcha like this

#14 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• 303 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 11:45 AM

The rays just non-tendered Choi, their 1B-Man.Not sure what their plan is for First Base.Offer Sano in a package for Snell.If they say no, fine, move on to other targets.I'd rather have Kiriloff/Rooker playing 1B than Sano.The shortcomings of Snell were laid out clearly.He's very talented but there is some risk.  

• tony&rodney likes this

#15 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,494 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:39 PM

Keep in mind that this is Tampa Bay we are discussing. If they agree to trade Snell to us it's likely that we are making an unfavorable trade.

#16 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,900 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 04:01 PM

The rays just non-tendered Choi, their 1B-Man.Not sure what their plan is for First Base.Offer Sano in a package for Snell.If they say no, fine, move on to other targets.I'd rather have Kiriloff/Rooker playing 1B than Sano.The shortcomings of Snell were laid out clearly.He's very talented but there is some risk.  

Sano seems like a classic Rays rebound guy, but his contract would likely turn them off since they strive to have as small a payroll as possible. 

#17 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 757 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 26 November 2020 - 04:01 PM

I agree 100%.We can replace Sano and Snell maybe no better than a very good #3 pitcher, but I'll take it.

• TopGunn#22 likes this

#18 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,682 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 05:39 PM

The Twins don't need to trade the upcoming future.

Their current trade chips are guys currently on the roster: Garver, Sano, Arraez, Polanco, Kepler, Buxton, Rosario, Berrios. You either sign them ALL long term, or trade them. And those that you have signed, if they have value, trade them when the time comes. Not all this year. Maybe not a complete shakeout by next year, but I see few of these guys holding down the fort 4 years in Minnesota's future.

• TopGunn#22 and DocBauer like this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com

#19 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,085 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 09:02 PM

Keep in mind that this is Tampa Bay we are discussing. If they agree to trade Snell to us it's likely that we are making an unfavorable trade.

I agree they are smartly run and a very shrewd team in their dealings. But the Odorizzi deal was very cheap on the Twins side of things and turned out very well. It could turn out even better if Oddo is brought back on a decent deal for both sides.

But, Snell is still cheap for 2021 and unless they are blown away, I don't see the Rays moving him until next off-season anyway.
  • Nine of twelve likes this

--Lou Brown

#20 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,085 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 09:23 PM

The Twins don't need to trade the upcoming future.

Their current trade chips are guys currently on the roster: Garver, Sano, Arraez, Polanco, Kepler, Buxton, Rosario, Berrios. You either sign them ALL long term, or trade them. And those that you have signed, if they have value, trade them when the time comes. Not all this year. Maybe not a complete shakeout by next year, but I see few of these guys holding down the fort 4 years in Minnesota's future.

I think you kind of nailed it here. The Twins are in a weird place, as are most teams, not just financially, but trying to figure out exactly what they have in young talent with no milb season in 2020, and what and how do you evaluate the expanded roster and the instructional league? This is not only in regard to promotions, but even trade value between teams.

Prospects are still prospects until they show otherwise. I get it. And I don't follow anyone else but the Twins. But when you have a contending roster, albeit with some holes and question marks you want/need to address, and a large group of young talent seemingly so close to hitting MLB, how do you trade said prospects at this time to augment your roster?

For NOW, I'm really hoping payroll and financial discussions would allow the team to keep what they have/know, and just make a couple smart and affordable signings....really hoping we can keep a $130-138M payroll...work the kids in, and then make any trade moves mid-season 2021 or next off-season.

I am not opposed to a smart move that makes sense for a quality return. We have depth to do something like that. If Johnson and the FO feels a guy like Snell is someone they really like and can work with, so be it. I'm not convinced at this point about Snell. The FO and staff are a whole lot smarter than I am. But I feel the team is in a perfect position to "tweak" the roster and hold off on trades for another half season or so.
  • TopGunn#22 likes this

--Lou Brown