Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Add Balazovic, Rortvedt and Ober to their 40-Man Roster

jordan balazovic akil baddoo ben rortvedt alex kirilloff brent rooker
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 JLease

JLease

Wichita Wind Surge

• 961 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:33 AM

I was a little surprised at Ober, but the Twins may have seen him as a guy who could have been grabbed by a rebuilding team and stashed in the 'pen for a year.

Rortvedt was the right call, IMHO. He's got some things to iron out as a hitter to become anything more than a defensive backup, but he's ready to receive right now and considering how many rough catching situations there are out there right now, I'm pretty confident a team would have grabbed him because of his skills behind the plate and worried about his hit tool later.

Hard to know if anyone is going to take a flyer on Griffin Jax; he might be MLB-ready...but with no minor league season, who knows? He's probably the only one left on the list that's a major concern. I like Jose Miranda, but MLB roster spots are valuable and I'm just not sure a team is going to want to use one for the entire season on him.

#22 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• 371 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:40 AM

Hard to disagree with who the Twins added.Ober is intriguing, and I have to admit I don't know much about him.His stats are IMPRESSIVE.But I don't know how hard he throws, what his spin rates are, what kind of change up he throws etc...

The Twins see something in Ober.That's enough for me.I still have high hopes for Wander Javier.He won't get selected.He just hasn'tbeen able to show anything the last couple of years.Maybe this is the year he flashes that talent, we will have to see. 

#23 saviking

saviking

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 123 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:10 PM

As much as I fret over having good players available to the rule 5 draft, it speaks wonders to how strong our minor league system is. 

#24 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,295 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:02 PM

I had to check out Ober's numbers again. WOW! I actually forgot just how incredible they were! He got 24IP at Pensacola in 2019. I'm guessing he goes back to AA to begin 2021, but wondering if he bas a shot at AAA?

The loss of a milb system affects everyone, not just the Twins. So all but the prospects who were invited to the reserve sites are going to have that lost year that hopefully EST helped. It's going to be really interesting to see how rosters and possible level promotions are handled next year. I'm guessing Balazovic goes to AA to begin the year with hopes of AAA at some point. But could he end up being fast tracked?
  • rdehring likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#25 Dman

Dman

• 2,210 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:06 PM

I was surprised by Ober but probably shouldn't be given his age and the success he has had when healthy.Maybe I am wrong about Rijo but I kind of thought they might add him as well.I thought he was throwing mid 90's and had at least one really good maybe elite offspeed pitch. Maybe he isn't quite good enough to make a major league roster just yet and Twins certainly have know more about him than I do but I thought they might have added him.

Position players rarely get taken in rule V so not surprised about Badoo etc and Jax, Wells, and Barnes are all solid pitchers but nothing special at least not yet so can see why they were not added.  

We lost a catcher in the Rule V before so I can see why they added Ben.His defense is good enough to play in the bigs and there are signs the bat may come around.Should also give them another guy who they bring up and down as needed if injuries happen.I think it was a good move.

• rdehring likes this

#26 HrbieFan

HrbieFan

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 179 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:45 PM

I'm guessing we might have extended rosters again next year, so there might be quite a few taken this year

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jordan balazovic, akil baddoo, ben rortvedt, alex kirilloff, brent rooker