Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

It's official: Elizabethton Twins fold, Smith and Reed are let go

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,459 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 14 November 2020 - 08:20 AM

Per Phil Miller from the StarTribune web site:

https://www.startrib...tint/573071622/

#2 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,043 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 14 November 2020 - 09:31 AM

This article focuses more on Ray Smith's future in the Twins organization, or lack thereof.

The decision about the Appalachian League as a whole was reached back in September:

https://www.mlb.com/...alachian-league

• DocBauer likes this

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#3 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,006 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 05:04 PM

Slightly confused as I thought I heard the Appalachian league was going to be a college wooden bat league. So is Elizabethton just done for good? Or are they done simply as a milb affiliate?

I am confounded, disappointed and saddened by the changes in milb and the consolidation of the entire format. All the more so for Elizabethton as it has produced so many great seasons and championships and I dare say only a handful of great Twins players over the past couple of decades haven't passed through there. I can understand change and what MLB is attempting to do by streamlining the entire system. And I will reserve final judgement until I see how all of this plays out in the end. But it does carry a sense of loss.

I don't pay for the Trib, so I can't read the article. Smith and Reed have meant so much to this organization over the years, I'd like to think their wealth of experience and knowledge would find a place within the organization still.
  • Strato Guy likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#4 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,006 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 05:06 PM

This article focuses more on Ray Smith's future in the Twins organization, or lack thereof.

The decision about the Appalachian League as a whole was reached back in September:
https://www.mlb.com/...alachian-league

I should have read this before jumping in to my original comment. Thank you for sharing the link Ash!
  • ashbury likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#5 Linus

Linus

• 2,521 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 05:18 PM

Very clear Smith wanted to remain with the Twins but they had no interest. When asked about the situation they had “no comment”. Not a very classy way to treat somebody who worked for you for 33 years.
  • ashbury likes this

#6 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,447 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 10:38 PM

Boo. I guess covid-19 will forever change the sports landscape here, everywhere, but this greedy MLB move was planned long before, due to the egg on their face for the shameful wages minor leaguers make. Raise their pay, or just fold em? Hmmm. 

Oh well, I guess realistically the minors were bound to change anyway. 

Sad to see a long and fruitful relationship end this way. 

#7 twinfan

twinfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 154 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 08:39 AM

I have lived in a town that lost it's minor league team- twice. The first time, after Toronto left, we operated a team without a major league affiliate before securing a long term relationship with a major league team (Cleve). The second time, the town went 3 years before securing another team (Tex). And the town has one of the most beautiful ballparks in the country yet only has 25,000 people (75,000 in the county). The loss of the team was devastating to the economy, took away unity among it's people and left many without something to do on summer nights. Baseball is losing fans every year as kids no longer go out and play and many cannot afford the expenses of traveling teams that seem to be the landscape of the youth game today. I do not understand the cutting back on the minor leagues when teams spend millions on marginal players. And having a collegiate league may help somewhat (I live near a team) but it's just not the same.

• DocBauer likes this