Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Kim Ng - First Woman to be Hired as GM in Baseball History

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,857 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 November 2020 - 09:53 AM

Monumental hire by the Marlins. Congrats to them and good luck to HER!
  • Craig Arko, Hosken Bombo Disco, Ben Noble and 4 others like this

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,715 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 12:05 PM

I believe their COO is also a woman. Congrats to them both.

• Nine of twelve likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#3 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,857 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 04:10 PM

Congratulatiosn to her but there goes my dream of a lopsided trade with the Marlins to get pirching for Sano. Ng was here with the Dodgers. Very smart, very savvy. Probably won't give us good pitching for Sano. Why? Because Sano isn't worth good pitching. Oh well, are the Phillies in the market for a 1B? 

• Vanimal46 and bighat like this

#4 Thegrin

Thegrin

• 1,133 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 15 November 2020 - 05:54 PM

If she can do the job, so what if she's a woman. Its not fair to her that people are making a big deal about her sex.Thats as dumb as making a big deal about someone's race.

• Cap'n Piranha and alphanumeric like this

#5 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 736 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:09 AM

A first of any kind is always a "big deal". Your comment sounds more like you don't like the idea of a woman in charge.
  • Mike Sixel and old nurse like this

#6 adjacent

adjacent

• 279 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:22 AM

If she can do the job, so what if she's a woman. Its not fair to her that people are making a big deal about her sex.Thats as dumb as making a big deal about someone's race.

In an ideal world, like race, it shouldn't be a big deal. In the real world, where women are usually discriminated against in this kind of job, it is.

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, Mike Sixel and 4 others like this

#7 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,555 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:13 PM

It's not 'dumb' to make a big deal out of it because it IS a big deal. She is the first woman ever to hold that position, and, it was a long time coming. She is eminently qualified and has been passed over FOR YEARS. Inequities in the job market for women and minorities is real, whether or not you choose to acknowledge that, and it is a big deal when someone breaks down a barrier, because they've probably had to work harder and be better than their competition just to get in the door. And it should be lauded and celebrated, and attention should be drawn to it. imo. What wouldn't be a big deal if yet another white, male was hired for the job.

• ashbury, nicksaviking, Vanimal46 and 3 others like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,947 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 01:21 PM

Great news. Seemed like she was going to get a shot at this a decade ago. This was a long time coming.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#9 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,535 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:11 PM

If she makes astute signings and trades, this was a good move.If she does not, this was a bad move.That is all I, or anyone else anxious to move into a more equitable world, should care about.

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,947 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:29 PM

If she makes astute signings and trades, this was a good move.If she does not, this was a bad move.That is all I, or anyone else anxious to move into a more equitable world, should care about.

Disagree. Strongly. She's more than qualified. I care about a more equitable world and this is a good move even if she doesn't pan out. 

#11 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,535 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 12:37 PM

Disagree. Strongly. She's more than qualified. I care about a more equitable world and this is a good move even if she doesn't pan out. 

No where did I say she's not qualified--I said she should be judged by the same criteria as every other GM.You also can't be in favor of hiring someone based on immutable characteristics, and equity.Equity means people get treated the same despite any immutable characteristics.Saying it was a good idea to hire a woman simply because she's a woman is sexist, and quite frankly, demeaning to women.It implies that you think women need men's help in order to be equal to men.I think (outside of some physical activities), women can do anything men can do, and as such, do not need special treatment or favors.Anyone who does need special treatment in order to achieve an equal outcome is, by definition, not equal.

#12 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,555 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 17 November 2020 - 01:09 PM

No where did I say she's not qualified--I said she should be judged by the same criteria as every other GM.You also can't be in favor of hiring someone based on immutable characteristics, and equity.Equity means people get treated the same despite any immutable characteristics.Saying it was a good idea to hire a woman simply because she's a woman is sexist, and quite frankly, demeaning to women.It implies that you think women need men's help in order to be equal to men.I think (outside of some physical activities), women can do anything men can do, and as such, do not need special treatment or favors.Anyone who does need special treatment in order to achieve an equal outcome is, by definition, not equal.

NO ONE, not one person, said she should have been hired BECAUSE she was a woman. And she was not hired because she is a woman ... so just stop with that line, because no one is saying it. She has been in the running for a GM job for a decade, because she is that qualified. She was hired because she is that qualified. But it IS a big deal because she is the first woman to occupy the job. And, for the record, there is a disparity in the job market for women and minorities, and it has nothing to do with qualifications but is completely about 'immutable characteristics'. She has broken a barrier, and that should be noted. Should we not honor Jackie Robinson then, too? She has been qualified for this job and in the market for a GM job for a decade, and has finally been hired because of those qualities, and yes, she should be judged by the job she does. However, she is the first woman in that role, and that is important. Maybe not to you, but it is important.

And yes, it would be great if everyone was blind to the 'immutable characteristics' for equality to exist, and yes, I hope that's the goal for everyone. But, sadly, we are a million miles away from that. In a perfect world ...

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#13 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,535 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:56 PM

NO ONE, not one person, said she should have been hired BECAUSE she was a woman. And she was not hired because she is a woman ... so just stop with that line, because no one is saying it. She has been in the running for a GM job for a decade, because she is that qualified. She was hired because she is that qualified. But it IS a big deal because she is the first woman to occupy the job. And, for the record, there is a disparity in the job market for women and minorities, and it has nothing to do with qualifications but is completely about 'immutable characteristics'. She has broken a barrier, and that should be noted. Should we not honor Jackie Robinson then, too? She has been qualified for this job and in the market for a GM job for a decade, and has finally been hired because of those qualities, and yes, she should be judged by the job she does. However, she is the first woman in that role, and that is important. Maybe not to you, but it is important.

And yes, it would be great if everyone was blind to the 'immutable characteristics' for equality to exist, and yes, I hope that's the goal for everyone. But, sadly, we are a million miles away from that. In a perfect world ...

I have to take issue with your assertion that no one said she should be hired because she was a woman.Just 3 posts up, nicksaviking said "this is a good move even if she doesn't pan out."Can you tell me with a straight face nick would have said that (changing she to he in the quote) if Miami had hired a man?The answer is obviously no, meaning nick thinks its good she was hired because she's a woman.In all likelihood, the next Vice President of the United States will assume that role based solely on the fact that she's a woman--since Joe Biden openly declared he would choose a woman as his running mate.

There are clearly people in this world, some of them extremely important and influential, who do not mind picking people for important and influential positions based on the fact that the person being selected is a woman.By the way, this doesn't mean the woman being selected isn't the best and most qualified candidate; it simply means that it is less likely the best and most qualified person will be selected, since just under half of the population has been ruled out with not even a cursory glance.

Jackie Robinson is also not a good comparison to Kim Ng.When Jackie Robinson first stepped foot on a diamond, there were multiple states in the country where segregation was legal.I am not aware of any state in 2020 that has laws allowing separate and sub-standard treatment for women.Jackie Robinson was, by legal statute in many places, and actual second-class citizen.Kim Ng is, in no place (at least no place in the Western World), and actual second-class citizen.

In the case of Kim Ng, I had never heard her name, or had any idea who she was until this news was announced.I assumed, prima facie, that she is perfectly qualified for this position.I also assumed, and still assume, that the Marlins hired her because after conducting their search, she was the most qualified person they spoke with.If that's not the case, and the fact that she's a woman played any role, no matter how small, in her hiring, then the Marlins are being just as sexist as if they hired a man over her because he's a man.

I'm glad we can agree on a desire for a world that cares as little about skin color and biological sex in terms of hiring as it cares about eye color and foot size--that is to say, not at all.The problem is not when we acknowledge that we are not there yet as a society.The problem is when we as individuals don't act the way we want the world to be because not everyone in society does.The longer we insist immutable characteristics are important, the longer immutable characteristics will continue to be important.

If we as individuals truly yearn for a society in which immutable characteristics no longer matter, than we should act that way, and encourage others to do the same.As Gandhi said, "Be the Change you wish to See in the World".

• alphanumeric likes this

#14 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,039 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 17 November 2020 - 07:15 PM

I see no harm in celebrating a significant "First". And I see plenty of benefit.

• SQUIRREL, Hosken Bombo Disco, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

Build tunnels. Nobody burns their tunnels behind them.

#15 shortround81

shortround81

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:50 PM

Unfair to whom? 

I can tell you as an Asian-American woman this is a very big deal!

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, Craig Arko and 1 other like this

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." -Pete Rose

#16 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,039 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 November 2020 - 02:03 PM

Unfair to whom? 

I can tell you as an Asian-American woman this is a very big deal!

giphy.gif

• shortround81 likes this

Build tunnels. Nobody burns their tunnels behind them.

#17 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,923 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 19 November 2020 - 01:14 PM

There is another usage of the three-letter acronym 'ERA' that might be applicable here. Just maybe.

• nicksaviking likes this

Update your priors.

#18 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 736 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 19 November 2020 - 03:11 PM

No one page attention to ERA any more. It's all about advanced metrics. (Insert smiley face so Piranha knows this is a satirical post.)
  • Cap'n Piranha and Craig Arko like this

#19 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,535 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 05:15 PM

No one page attention to ERA any more. It's all about advanced metrics. (Insert smiley face so Piranha knows this is a satirical post.)

Now this is funny!

#20 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,073 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:46 AM

When I got started in my profession there was about 5% males. It is now somewhere around 9%.  There are still plenty in the field that do not like men being in their profession. A boy in the girl’s club was a big deal. It took a long time for it not to be.  Now a woman in the boy’s club, It will take a while for that not to be a big deal. If you have been on the other side of the equation it is easy to understand

I always like the most qualified candidate arguments.  A person who did not play pro baseball, had 3 years as an intern and about 7 years of front office work is qualified to be a GM? Not everyone is an Epstein.  Neil Huntington was considered a great GM when the Pirates had a couple good seasons. I don’t think he is that highly thought of now.  It is hard to determine qualifications. Bill Smith had a lot of experience in a shoestring organization. The Peter principle was in effect there. You don’t know.