Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Free Agency / Re-Signings 2020-21 Offseason

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,932 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 December 2020 - 10:20 PM

Woah. Blockbuster trade.
  • Danchat likes this

#42 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• 257 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:15 PM

https://www.mlbtrade...r-caratini.html

The return for Darvish looks...not great. At first I just saw a lot of names, but having seen a note somewhere on that article that all the prospects are ranked in the teens in SD's system, I'm wondering how the Cubs didn't get at least one really good prospect for a guy who's still a really good pitcher.

#43 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,641 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:10 PM

https://www.mlbtrade...r-caratini.html

The return for Darvish looks...not great. At first I just saw a lot of names, but having seen a note somewhere on that article that all the prospects are ranked in the teens in SD's system, I'm wondering how the Cubs didn't get at least one really good prospect for a guy who's still a really good pitcher.

It really depends on the person you talk with. Most haven't spent a lot of time evaluating the players because they're young guys that weren't at the Alt Site this summer.

Preciado is the gem of the deal. Multiple people I've talked with after his fall instructs performance have him easily as a top-100 guy and comfortably inside the top 10 of the Padres, some even within their top 5.

Mena is probably the next best prospect. He's a guy who many Twins fans could look quickly and see a lot of Max Kepler attributes in - long strides and frame that likely fit best in a corner, but enough athleticism to handle center early on in his minor league career. Likely a very similar offensive ceiling as well.

Caissie was a guy I was very, very impressed with coming into the 2020 draft with the reports I got on his coachability and strides already made with his swing. The frame and swing will lead a lot of people to think of someone like Kyle Schwarber, but he has a lot more athleticism.

Santana is a guy that others like more than me, but he is a guy that really can stick up the middle defensively. What he does with the bat is where I am not in line with others I've talked with, who see him as a potential low-level starter or utility guy while I view his ceiling as likely an up-and-down infield defense type.

• big dog likes this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#44 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,904 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 01:06 PM

The Rays sent reliever Jose Alvarado to the Phillies in a 3 way deal where the Dodgers pitched in a prospect. Alvarado hasn't been able to live up to the numbers he put up in his 2018 year, but the Phillies desperately need relievers. The Rays continue to hoard prospects like toilet paper in a pandemic.

#45 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,904 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 01:36 PM

According to Deesha Thosar of the New York Daily News, the "final clubs competing to land" free agent outfielder George Springer are the Mets and Blue Jays.
Thosar adds that Springer "figures to pick up a long-term contract worth well over $100 million" from one of the two teams and that there should be something official to announce come January. SNY's Andy Martino states in a separate report that the 31-year-old slugger "is still asking for well over $150 million."

Springer appears to be ready to sign soon. I would like to see the Blue Jays get more competitive in their division, but I'd probably be better for the Twins if he signed in the NL.

#46 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,903 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 07:39 PM

It really depends on the person you talk with. Most haven't spent a lot of time evaluating the players because they're young guys that weren't at the Alt Site this summer.

Preciado is the gem of the deal. Multiple people I've talked with after his fall instructs performance have him easily as a top-100 guy and comfortably inside the top 10 of the Padres, some even within their top 5.

Mena is probably the next best prospect. He's a guy who many Twins fans could look quickly and see a lot of Max Kepler attributes in - long strides and frame that likely fit best in a corner, but enough athleticism to handle center early on in his minor league career. Likely a very similar offensive ceiling as well.

Caissie was a guy I was very, very impressed with coming into the 2020 draft with the reports I got on his coachability and strides already made with his swing. The frame and swing will lead a lot of people to think of someone like Kyle Schwarber, but he has a lot more athleticism.

Santana is a guy that others like more than me, but he is a guy that really can stick up the middle defensively. What he does with the bat is where I am not in line with others I've talked with, who see him as a potential low-level starter or utility guy while I view his ceiling as likely an up-and-down infield defense type.

Your take is like the guy at the state fair on the midway telling fortunes. A guy who is 17-18 and not played a game in the minors is a top 100 guy. You really think San Diego would give up a superstar player in a package with comped to an mvp vote getter and a another player who was a top 20 baseball america prospect.Yup, 3 years of Darvish is worth that, NOT. So, who is wrong. The Padres for not knowing talent or someone else?

#47 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,641 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:13 PM

Your take is like the guy at the state fair on the midway telling fortunes. A guy who is 17-18 and not played a game in the minors is a top 100 guy. You really think San Diego would give up a superstar player in a package with comped to an mvp vote getter and a another player who was a top 20 baseball america prospect.Yup, 3 years of Darvish is worth that, NOT. So, who is wrong. The Padres for not knowing talent or someone else?

No one says the Padres don't know their talent. Talent still needs to be developed. Each of these talents has comparables, but they will have to develop through the minor league system to reach that comparison. The Padres have more depth than perhaps all but one team in the entire league. They can trade away this talent without it tremendously hurting the farm, especially to bring in a guy to put at the front of their rotation.

#48 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,903 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 07:51 AM

No one says the Padres don't know their talent. Talent still needs to be developed. Each of these talents has comparables, but they will have to develop through the minor league system to reach that comparison. The Padres have more depth than perhaps all but one team in the entire league. They can trade away this talent without it tremendously hurting the farm, especially to bring in a guy to put at the front of their rotation.

In the end it is a lottery ticket if they make that "comparable"

#49 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,147 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 06:52 PM

Robbie Grossman to the Tigers.

And... Phil Hughes announces his retirement. 

#50 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,904 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 09:26 PM

Grossman gets $10M over 2 years with the Tigers. Dodgers also re-sign reliever Blake Treinen for 2 years, $17.5M.

#51 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,904 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:38 AM

ESPN's Jeff Passan reports that the Mets are "deep in talks" to acquire Francisco Lindor from the Indians.
Passan adds that the deal is "expected" to be completed and that young infielder Andres Gimenez would be part of the return package heading to Cleveland. MLB.com's Mark Feinsand hears that the Mets are also getting starter Carlos Carrasco. This would obviously be a blockbuster move for the Mets as they turn a new leaf under owner Steve Cohen, who has generated nothing but positive buzz since taking over control of the team in September.

It's happening! The Mets and Padres are running circles around everyone else this offseason. Losing Lindor is a massive blow, but trading Carrasco after a rebound season is another hit to their starting depth. They've already traded Bauer and Clevinger in the last year and a half... I'd be irate if I were an Indians fan.

#52 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• 257 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 05:11 PM

Sugano is set to go back to Japan next year. Maybe this will break some of the ice on the rest of the second-tier starting pitching market, but maybe it also will mean more intense bidding for the likes of Odorizzi, Paxton, Kluber, and Tanaka. 

#53 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,641 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 03:05 PM

RIP, Tommy. Like him, love him, hate him, he was impactful on the game for more than 50 years directly and continued his influence after he was no longer directly employed by a team.

#54 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,904 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:38 PM

Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports reports that the White Sox have signed free agent closer Liam Hendriks.
Financial terms of the agreement are not yet known, but Brown hears that it will be a multi-year contract and "the largest yet on a slow-moving offseason market."

The White Sox are splurging on a top-notch reliever. We're going to be seeing a lot more of him in the future...

#55 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 758 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:35 AM

Some good news. The so far uninspiring off-season has finally produced some excitement. MLB Rumors is saying that the Twins are very close to signing a replacement for Nelson Cruz in Tony "Two-Ton" Spagnola. Two-Ton is the 6'1", 320-pound DH for the North Side Gut Busters from the South Milwaukee Slo-Pitch league. He reportedly hit 212 home runs last season in the COVID-shortened 2020 season. He has no defensive value and his running ability is somewhat of a liability. If he isn't able to do a home run trot, he can only managed to run 60 feet before having to catch his breath. But the Twins have made a move!!!

#56 cmoss84

cmoss84

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 575 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:42 AM

The White Sox are splurging on a top-notch reliever. We're going to be seeing a lot more of him in the future...

Jokes on the White Sox-they will score way too many runs to have a lot of save opportunities! Suckers!

• Mike Sixel and adjacent like this

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#57 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,904 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:08 PM

I’m hearing that the Red Sox are close to moving Benintendi, but the other team is unknown.

#58 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,029 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:03 PM

I don't know about Benintendi. I realize he could possibly pull a Christian Yelich but seems like we're still waiting for Max Kepler to do that.

If all he is is what we've already seen, he's more name than bat, but the name will surely demand a bigger return than should be required. Only two more years of a corner OF who struggles to OPS .800 isn't terribly exciting to me. I'd rather roll with Kirilloff/Larnach/Rooker.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#59 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,641 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:37 PM

I don't know about Benintendi. I realize he could possibly pull a Christian Yelich but seems like we're still waiting for Max Kepler to do that.

If all he is is what we've already seen, he's more name than bat, but the name will surely demand a bigger return than should be required. Only two more years of a corner OF who struggles to OPS .800 isn't terribly exciting to me. I'd rather roll with Kirilloff/Larnach/Rooker.

Kepler had 36 HR in 2019. Benintendi has never shown that sort of power. That's a big difference.

If Kepler was legitimately on the market, there would be a list of teams around the block attempting to acquire him.

#60 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,904 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:51 PM

Kepler had 36 HR in 2019. Benintendi has never shown that sort of power. That's a big difference.

If Kepler was legitimately on the market, there would be a list of teams around the block attempting to acquire him.

Benintendi gets on base a lot more often (.353 OBP to .319 OBP) and averages 17 HRs a year. Kepler's had one outstanding season and 4 middling offensive seasons. They both have their niches - Benintendi is more suited for a leadoff role (much better at stealing than Kepler too), while Kepler is better at driving in runs.