Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Free Agency / Re-Signings 2020-21 Offseason

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,827 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 12:35 PM

Free agency is likely going to be a really slow burn this year, but I still think it's worth having a thread to discuss signings. 

This is a re-signing, but still of a guy who was going to hit the market:

$8M seems like a lot for a guy coming off a career worst season, especially since salaries are supposedly going to drop. I can understand why he'd immediately take that deal.

#2 4twinsJA

4twinsJA

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 158 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 02:32 PM

I for one am glad Ray is off the board. Twins enamored with spin rates but still need to throw strikes. Did Stroman agree to qualifying offer also.

#3 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 630 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 10 November 2020 - 09:13 AM

I agree w/ you Dan, $8M seems very high for Ray w/ a poor season & shortened season losses. This sets a president for this year`s FA, salaries might be a higher than we expect.

• Danchat likes this

#4 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,827 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 10:16 AM

Marcus Stroman accepted the one-year, $18.9 million qualifying offer from the Mets.
The news was first reported by USA Today's Metsmerized site and has now been confirmed by Stroman himself via his personal Twitter account. Stroman probably would have opted to test the free agent market in a normal financial landscape, but he gets a sizable one-year payout with the QO and can aim for a big bounceback season in 2021 after not pitching at all in 2020 due to a calf injury and subsequent COVID-19 opt-out. The 29-year-old had a sharp 3.22 ERA in 32 starts (184 1/3 innings) between Toronto and New York in 2019.

#5 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 630 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 11:19 AM

I expected that most FAs would bite at QOsbutwow!a little surprised by Stroman as the 2nd rated pitcher. I`m sure a lot teams were wanting a shot at him. How does that leave the rest of the pack?

• Danchat likes this

#6 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,827 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 02:05 PM

I expected that most FAs would bite at QOsbutwow!a little surprised by Stroman as the 2nd rated pitcher. I`m sure a lot teams were wanting a shot at him. How does that leave the rest of the pack?

I imagine that Gausman will also take the QO. 

Spotrac on FA starting pitchers who should make more than $10M a year:

Masahiro Tanaka

Trevor Bauer

Charlie Morton

James Paxton

Mike Minor

Kevin Gausman

Garrett Richards

Jake Odorizzi

#7 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• 247 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 04:17 PM

Yes, seems likely that he would have gotten significant interest from other teams, but also the market for his services might have been more variable than most comparable players because he opted out of 2020, and he's on a team that seems primed to improve next year. So maybe it makes additional sense in that context.

• cardsfan and Doctor Gast like this

#8 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,827 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 04:57 PM

Gausman took the QO. Starting pitching will be a scarcity as it always is, but will there be a market?

• cardsfan likes this

#9 cardsfan

cardsfan

Ft Myers Miracle

• Banned
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 07:16 AM

Stroman always intrigues. He has a Trevor Bauer year and someone will get burned after the first year of a 9 figure contract probably the Mets.

#10 cardsfan

cardsfan

Ft Myers Miracle

• Banned
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 07:22 AM

Gausman took the QO. Starting pitching will be a scarcity as it always is, but will there be a market?

What an overpay. $18.9 million for a few games.

#11 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,827 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 01:28 PM

Braves signed LHP Drew Smyly to a one-year, $11 million contract.

Can't say we saw this coming, at least as far as the timing is concerned, though the Braves were active early last offseason as well. Still, Smyly is a good gamble. While staying healthy has been an issue, the 31-year-old put up a 3.42 ERA and 42/9 K/BB ratio in 26 1/3 innings over five starts and two relief appearances this past season. He also showed a healthy uptick in velocity compared to previous seasons.

Wow, that's a lot more than I thought a guy of his caliber would get. This definitely bodes well for the other starting pitchers out there.

#12 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,857 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 November 2020 - 03:18 PM

Wow, that's a lot more than I thought a guy of his caliber would get. This definitely bodes well for the other starting pitchers out there.

Atlanta probably overpaid by $3-4 million but they've signed worse contracts recently. It's easy to forget they paid Cole Hamels $18 million for 3 IP when they're winning. Their core is locked in long term at under market values, so they can afford to take chances filling in the rest of the roster. 

• Dman likes this

#13 4twinsJA

4twinsJA

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 158 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 03:46 PM

FA SP market tightening, Twins may need to make a trade to upgrade SP from excess of OFs.

#14 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,646 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:59 PM

I propose an arbitration trade of Eddie Rosario to the Tigers for Matthew Boyd. You might have to throw in a Smeltzer or Thorpe because the Tigers will be paying more out in salary.

Assuming both team don't want these guys, but might like to have control of one or the other.

Boyd would be a good backend pickup. Still cheap. Another year left. Lefty, too.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com

#15 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,625 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 02:28 PM

Atlanta probably overpaid by $3-4 million but they've signed worse contracts recently. It's easy to forget they paid Cole Hamels $18 million for 3 IP when they're winning. Their core is locked in long term at under market values, so they can afford to take chances filling in the rest of the roster. 

Braves have gambled on one-year pitching and hitting deals that were top-end for one year. Hamels didn't work out, but Josh Donaldson and Marcell Ozuna were incredible buys for one year. Dallas Keuchel was a viable #3 paid roughly the same full-season rate as Hamels (many forget that Keuchel's 13 million was signed June 7, 2019). Smyly is expected to come in as the #4 starter. If he fails in that role, he's an expensive reliever, but just for one year.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#16 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,857 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 November 2020 - 02:35 PM

#17 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 630 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 05:53 PM

one thought about Smyly & Ray. I believe Toronto were confident that they could fix Ray & the Braves were confident they could maintain what Smyly had in 2020. So they wanted make sure they could close the deal as fast they could w/ the $ they spent. We`ll see if they are right. I doubt it

#18 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 236 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:51 AM

Smyly and Ray are signed and what a relief for Twins fans. Did anyone else worry that either of these two would land in Minnesota? Of course, they could star, but I just don't see it from my porch.

• 4twinsJA likes this

#19 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,857 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted Yesterday, 08:17 AM

Early morning Passan bomb. The Braves continue to be aggressive at the start of free agency.
  • Doctor Gast likes this

#20 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 630 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:47 AM

WOW, I expect that Odo will expect the same! $15M