Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Who Should the Twins Protect from the Rule 5 Draft?

jordan balazovic brent rooker edwar colina alex kirilloff ben rortvedt
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,297 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 10:27 PM

Javier put up some of his best stats last year.

I have been rooting for Javier for some time. All the potential in the world! He showed some real potential his first 2 years. And then he missed 2018 due to injury. And he might be the #1 guy in the system who got screwed by no milb season to get back to normal.

But I think you are thinking of someone else or looking at the wrong season. His quad splits in 2019 were awefull.
  • Danchat likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#22 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• 371 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 08:36 AM

I also am a big fan of Javier.At least his potential, since he hasn't played much for a couple of years.I protect him, Rijo and Jax.I also think you gotta protect Colina.Guys that throw 100 mph with wipeout sliders are what every team is looking to pick up.Sure, his one appearance was not so good.But I was impressed with his "stuff.'He just looked REALLY jacked up for his first ever appearance.  

#23 JLease

JLease

Wichita Wind Surge

• 961 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:11 AM

Balazovic is the obvious call.

Rortvedt is a guy I think who could get claimed. His catching is advanced enough that a team could carry him as a catcher even if he might not hit much. I'd add him. Miranda is probably the next one to me? If a team has cleared a bunch of guys, might be in tanking mode...maybe they take a flyer there.

It kinda feels like the Rule 5 draft is gonna be a mess this year. How the hell do you project all these guys who didn't play?

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,794 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:41 AM

I admit to being a bit worried last year about him. But with no milb season last year and not being on the taxi squad at St Paul, would someone really bank on stashing him for a year? I know scouts and various FO are always working and projecting. But do you really think he's at risk this time?

I don't think so. I was worried last year and we have no more information on him going into this year's Rule 5 draft. We might assume that if guys (Rijo, Jaiver, etc) and didn't get selected then, that it isn't likely they would be added this year. I think that's fair. 

I have Rijo further down the list this year than I did last year with several first-timers ahead of him, so yeah, I won't be as worried this year. I also won't be surprised if he is taken. 

• DocBauer likes this

#25 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,794 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:44 AM

I also am a big fan of Javier.At least his potential, since he hasn't played much for a couple of years.I protect him, Rijo and Jax.I also think you gotta protect Colina.Guys that throw 100 mph with wipeout sliders are what every team is looking to pick up.Sure, his one appearance was not so good.But I was impressed with his "stuff.'He just looked REALLY jacked up for his first ever appearance.  

Colina was already protected when he was put on the 40-man roster in-season. 

Rijo, Javier and Jax all passed through this year and none of them were even brought to the player pool, so I 'think' their odds of being selected are lower than I thought last year, but again, it just takes one team taking a shot. 

• TopGunn#22 likes this

#26 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,794 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:47 AM

Balazovic is the obvious call.

Rortvedt is a guy I think who could get claimed. His catching is advanced enough that a team could carry him as a catcher even if he might not hit much. I'd add him. Miranda is probably the next one to me? If a team has cleared a bunch of guys, might be in tanking mode...maybe they take a flyer there.

It kinda feels like the Rule 5 draft is gonna be a mess this year. How the hell do you project all these guys who didn't play?

That is the challenge. Normally we would have a sample of 400+ at bats or 50-130 innings to consider, and scouts would have had lots more opportunities to see something. I just don't know what's going to happen. 

As for Rortvedt, the catcher position is so demanding. Rortvedt can catch in the big leagues right now. Don't see a lot of catchers taken in the Rule 5 draft... But sometimes I wonder if that's because the prospects and mid-level prospect catchers get protected?

• gil4 and JLease like this

#27 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Wichita Wind Surge

• 518 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 02:09 PM

The Reds drafted catcher Stuart Turner from the Twins in the Rule 5 in 2016 to the surprise of most Twins fans I think. Turner might be a comp for Ben Rortvedt. Stuart batted all of .134 and was back in the minor leagues. I think it was a reach by the Reds that didn't work out. I'm thinking there might be less room for Rule 5's on major league rosters this year, so a lot of guys are probably safe. But then again, each organization has certain players they covet and if they are available, they might scoop them up. The team that plays their evals and rosters right should have a nice advantage come next season.

• Danchat likes this

#28 Diesel

Diesel

Wichita Wind Surge

• 680 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 07:10 PM

Aside from the givens, I would add Rortvedt and Rijo.... Griffin Jax would get some consideration as well. If needed, I think Astudillo and Nick Gordon could be waived or traded

#29 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 6,099 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:14 PM

The Reds drafted catcher Stuart Turner from the Twins in the Rule 5 in 2016 to the surprise of most Twins fans I think. Turner might be a comp for Ben Rortvedt. Stuart batted all of .134 and was back in the minor leagues. I think it was a reach by the Reds that didn't work out. I'm thinking there might be less room for Rule 5's on major league rosters this year, so a lot of guys are probably safe. But then again, each organization has certain players they covet and if they are available, they might scoop them up. The team that plays their evals and rosters right should have a nice advantage come next season.

I thought the same thing, but I don't really see much of a loss in losing a defense-only catcher prospect... unless he proves he can hit at a decent level, you can find that kind of guy for very cheap in the free agent market.

Aside from the givens, I would add Rortvedt and Rijo.... Griffin Jax would get some consideration as well. If needed, I think Astudillo and Nick Gordon could be waived or traded

Jax wasn't added and didn't get claimed last year, don't think he will this year. He's about to turn 26 and isn't regarded as much of a prospect, so we shouldn't lose him.

• JLease and AceWrigley like this

#30 Shaitan

Shaitan

St Paul Saints

• 1,734 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 10:25 PM

I have been rooting for Javier for some time. All the potential in the world! He showed some real potential his first 2 years. And then he missed 2018 due to injury. And he might be the #1 guy in the system who got screwed by no milb season to get back to normal. But I think you are thinking of someone else or looking at the wrong season. His quad splits in 2019 were awefull.

That was my joke. I can't imagine a team taking a player with so little experience and such poor performance in his most recent sample. Last year he was a long shot. This year I don't think it's worth considering.

• DocBauer and JLease like this

#31 Twinsfan12

Twinsfan12

GCL Twins

• 16 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 09:28 AM

Rortvedt is an excellent catcher, with a great arm and his hitting in the minors is not terrible at all, especially for a kid who was drafted right out of high school. It's not like he's going to hit below the mendoza line or anything, plus he's a lefty. At least a future platoon catcher. He was moved up to AA faster than Jeffers and was hitting very well until the knee injury. He then played a month with the injury and his production at plate suffered. Rortvedt is less of a defensive 1st catcher than Jeffers is a stick 1st catcher. For sure Garver and Jeffers in 2021 and then maybe Jeffers and Rortvedt in 2022? Some team will grab him for sure if he's not protected. I think the comparisons to previous Rule 5 catchers are not that accurate. Can't have enough quality catchers in the system.

#32 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,833 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 12:39 PM

Bailey Ober strikes me as exactly the type of guy a team will take a flyer on.

Then release him in Spring Training and have him go to another team for a couple weeks... Rinse and repeat until he makes it through waivers and ends up at someone's AAA affiliate. 

Exactly the thing an oft-injured player needs. Relentless instability

• ashbury likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jordan balazovic, brent rooker, edwar colina, alex kirilloff, ben rortvedt