Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Fernando Romero

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 dougd

dougd

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 131 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:08 AM

Dominican Republic winter league baseball starts Nov. 15, without fans in attendance. I wonder if Romero would be playing. Presumably the Twins would give permission. I assume the Twins would have included him in their instructional camp if he was able to get a visa. 

#22 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,930 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:52 AM

This is unexpected.
  • Danchat and Dman like this

#23 Dman

Dman

• 1,965 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 09:35 AM

Dang he was one of our best pitching prospects at one time.I can't believe they couldn't turn him into at least a solid reliever.Oh well another one bites the dust.

#24 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,900 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 10:23 AM

This is unexpected.

Wow, it'd be one thing if the 40 man roster was full and they DFA'd him to make room, but it seems they're ready to give up on him. I wouldn't rule out something off-the-field happening that we don't know about yet.

#25 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,142 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 December 2020 - 10:44 AM

Wow, it'd be one thing if the 40 man roster was full and they DFA'd him to make room, but it seems they're ready to give up on him. I wouldn't rule out something off-the-field happening that we don't know about yet.

It could be something serious in the medical evaluations, assuming you don't mean to include that in "off-the-field happening".

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#26 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,900 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:34 PM

Dan Hayes of The Athletic reports that Fernando Romero will sign with the Yokohama DeNA BayStars in the Japanese Central League.
The Twins officially released Romero on Friday, freeing him to make the move overseas. The 25-year-old hurler posted a 5.17 ERA, 1.57 WHIP and 63/30 K/BB ratio across 69 2/3 career innings at the big league level with the Twins.

And there we go, we found out why Romero was released. This still doesn't make a ton of sense to me - I'm sure there would be some MLB teams that would love to stash him in their bullpen - but it at least explains today's move.

• Doctor Gast likes this

#27 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,142 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:56 PM

Pro tip: check with the Japanese embassy in regard to their rules for visas, well in advance of departure.

• big dog likes this

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#28 Rigby

Rigby

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 187 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 December 2020 - 07:54 AM

Pro tip: check with the Japanese embassy in regard to their rules for visas, well in advance of departure.

As long as you're not flying in on the Enola Gay you should be okay. 

• ashbury likes this

#29 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,930 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 December 2020 - 09:58 AM

Another pro tip: Romero should leave his marijuana at home this time.

https://theathletic...._shared_article