Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Target Field Tax Status

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Original_JB

Original_JB

• 24 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:43 PM

Been reading about all the losses (alleged or not) that MLB has (and maybe will again) taken with the pandemic, and wondered how the tax dollar stream to pay off Target Field has been affected, if at all. Even though it is county-wide, the ghost town of downtown Mpls can't bode well for "money spent". I wonder how many tax $$$ have been lost to internet vs "in person" shopping, for virtually anything and everything. Then I wondered, what's the situation in other MLB cities with new or newish stadiums that are still being paid for? So, kind of an open question....

#2 jctwins

jctwins

• 440 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:50 PM

Considering they were ahead of schedule (way ahead, something like 2-4 years IIRC) as of now at worst it appears they may just revert to being back "on schedule".

#3 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,646 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:58 PM

I thought the Twins had paid off their investment in the stadium. But, yes, sales tax revenue has been humbled by the pandemic.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com

#4 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 27,062 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:05 PM

They were well ahead of schedule paying off the bonds as of 2017.

https://m.startribun...arly/410730375/

Can't find current projections.
  • dbminn likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#5 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 553 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:22 AM

Only because they had to abandon any thought of a roof which should have been an absolute requirement. How many World Series games would have been snowed out to say nothing of April games?

Starting the season with 10 consecutive road games will probably be the norm.

#6 spycake

spycake

• 18,401 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:51 AM

Even though it is county-wide, the ghost town of downtown Mpls can't bode well for "money spent". I wonder how many tax $$$ have been lost to internet vs "in person" shopping, for virtually anything and everything.

1. Hennepin County is pretty big!

2. Downtown Minneapolis has been a retail ghost town for awhile already, relative to the rest of the county. No doubt that downtown bars and restaurants are acutely feeling the effects of the pandemic, with empty office buildings and a lack of concerts and sporting events. But retail is concentrated elsewhere in the county -- including most bars and restaurants -- and the effects there haven't been quite so severe.

3. Since 2018 or so, virtually all online retailers are collecting and remitting state and local sales taxes for Minnesota customers.

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:34 AM

Only because they had to abandon any thought of a roof which should have been an absolute requirement. How many World Series games would have been snowed out to say nothing of April games?

Have you been in a retractable roof stadium? IMO, they're awful. The damned things may as well be a dome the way you're boxed up in them.

Never mind that it was logistically impossible to put a retractable roof stadium in the lot where TF now stands, which means a large part of its draw, location, would not exist.

• SQUIRREL, Twins33 and SF Twins Fan like this

#8 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 27,062 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:14 PM

Has it been the norm, since 2010?

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#9 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 07:54 AM

The field is heated. The Twins would probably cancel a snowy game just to keep people from traveling, but they could play if they want. 

It's much more miserable to me when it is rainy and windy and in the 40s-50s than it is when it is snowing, and most of the country gets that during the fall and spring.

#10 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 553 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:23 AM

Has it been the norm, since 2010?

No and how many snow outs and 40deg games did they have to start the season in 2019?

#11 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 553 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:29 AM

Have you been in a retractable roof stadium? IMO, they're awful. The damned things may as well be a dome the way you're boxed up in them.

Never mind that it was logistically impossible to put a retractable roof stadium in the lot where TF now stands, which means a large part of its draw, location, would not exist.

I know and they are really awful in bad weather. Most enjoyable game experience I have had was in the Metrodome. Great visibility and a party atmosphere and the Twins beat the Jays. The so called great modern old style ball parks are only great if you don't care about actually seeing the game unless you have the best seats. Worst seats I have ever had were at Camden Yards and PNC Park in Pittsburgh even though they looked great on the chart and were far from the cheapest. the reason they played the World Series in Texas was?.....fill in the blank.

#12 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:16 AM

No and how many snow outs and 40deg games did they have to start the season in 2019?

Not sure, but in general the MLB favors playing early season games in southern climates. Certainly that's not universal, but weather is something baseball considers when making schedules and the Twins considered when building Target field.

Anyway, outdoor baseball is what the fans wanted. If the Pohlads had built another dome, there would have been riots in the streets!