Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Offseason Outlook: Hard Truths and Hamstrung Priorities

nelson cruz josh donaldson
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:21 PM

So in theory, NOT cutting spending actually accounts for a 10% cut already. It's a nice thought. It's a thought I wish the FO would embrace, cut their losses for 2020, keep the most important players they can, re-tool a few spots, and let it ride with the same payroll as this past season. And maybe they will surprise and it will happen. But I still expect everyone to cut, at least a little, and I'm still thinking the $125M mark is about right.

Yeah, it's interesting to think about. And if it was solely about cutting losses for 2020, I think they might consider it. It's the uncertainty about next year that makes it hard for me to believe they won't cut. Maybe MLB lost $3 billion this year, maybe not, but with no assurances around fan attendance for next season I've got to imagine MLB owners as a whole are gonna take a conservative approach.

FWIW, I bet the Twins reduce spending by less than the vast majority of teams. Which theoretically puts them in an advantageous position.

• DocBauer likes this

#22 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 633 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:43 AM

Like you mentioned Nick, this coming year will be very interesting. W/ 2020 losses & uncertainty of 2021, most everybody is expected to cut payroll. this offseason IMO in the beginning everybody will be in the wait & see mode. FA demand will be low therefore offers will be low. All the FAs & players that are in arbitration that we`d like to keep but unwilling to pay theprice, approach them & relay the desire to keep them but budget wont let us bring you back unless we negotiate a lower price. If they wantto remain a Twin they will negotiatea reasonable salary if not thank them for their service & move on. Because of the glut of FAs that will hit the market IMO the offers for FA could be much lower than what you estimated. The Twins love to wait & see in a normal season so this coming off-season there is no doubt they`ll do this.

#23 CBtwinsfan

CBtwinsfan

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:07 AM

Keep Cruz for dug out continuity

Odorizzi - keep, cant find a better # 4 pitcher who can pitch like a #2

Rosario - gone

Rogers - gone, has lost what ever he had previous years

May - keep, our most dominant relief pitcher

Hill - gone

#24 CBtwinsfan