Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

RIP Sid- no message

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,247 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:46 PM

• glunn likes this

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,192 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:22 PM

Hell of a career. Thoughts and prayers with his family.

• USAFChief, glunn and jjswol like this

#3 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,108 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:09 PM

Ironic that Sid would pass today. I saw Patrick Reusse's column and thought to myself the Sid may outlive him. Sid was Minnesota sports for longer than almost all of us have been alive. 2020 takes another one.

• USAFChief, glunn, jjswol and 1 other like this

#4 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,426 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:01 PM

It's hardly possible to live a more remarkable life than Sid lived. It's too bad we can't all be so fortunate.

• USAFChief, glunn, jjswol and 1 other like this

#5 twinssporto

twinssporto

I'm a real fan, not a cardboard cut out.

• 2,261 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:17 PM

I grew up reading Sid as youngster. Meet him a few times in the Metrodome too. Was always polite and friendly. Sad to hear the news today.  

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#6 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,624 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:51 PM

The guy never tired hanging around a sports locker. You always read his column. Not the best writer, but one helluva a reporter!

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com

#7 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 27,053 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:13 AM

The largest sports figure in MN history. RIP Sid.
  • jjswol, NoCryingInBaseball, Platoon and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,498 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:40 AM

Having been in the Twins clubhouse the past 6-8 years (once in awhile), I am to the point where I am not really star struck often. However, when Jim Kaat and Rod Carew walk by and smile, I definitely fit that definition. The other one was Sid Hartman. Even at 95-100, you couldn't help but take notice when he walked in the room. Yeah, he wasn't able to do certain things (like hear well), but he put himself in the middle of the crowds, asked questions and more. 

I think about growing up. At school, we would always have the Star Tribune, so I would get there early in the morning and read the box scores and anything that Sid wrote. I always enjoyed listening to The Sports Huddle after church on Sundays back then. 

So yeah, riding up a Target Field elevator with him, or standing in a media scrum with him, was pretty cool. Was an honor. 

What a life! What a career! Legendary! 

• glunn, gunnarthor, diehardtwinsfan and 5 others like this

#9 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 385 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:51 AM

You nailed it Seth. Legendary. Helped bring the Lakers and Twins to Minnesota. When he looked at you you felt like he already knew the answer but asked the questions anyway. A great listener. The type of reporter you wanted to give good answers to. Pretty mind blowing to think he started selling papers on the street in 1928. 1928!! My sympathies to the family.

• glunn and jjswol like this

#10 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Pitch(er) Mix: Tequila, Orange Liqueur, Lime Juice

• 13,816 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:09 AM

Legendary is correct. Sid lived a long, fascinating life. I can only hope to have 10% of the experiences he did. Sid Hartman defined Minnesota sports... He covered every single Minnesota sports icon spanning generations... From George Mikan and Harmon Killebrew to Karl Anthony Towns and Byron Buxton. No one else will come even close to having the life Sid Hartman had. 

• glunn and jjswol like this

#11 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,592 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:23 PM

Here’s Reusse’s quick reaction.

https://m.startribun...reat/572790342/

Sid was a newsman to his core and would let literally nothing or no one stop him from getting some piece of information.

It is a sports cliche to say so-and-so “wanted it more.” In Sid’s case it was true.
  • ashbury, gunnarthor and jjswol like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#12 Twodogs

Twodogs

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,330 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:45 PM

I'm going to miss reading his articles. Every summer since I moved away I go back to Minnesota for a couple of weeks. I always buy the trib to read the sports pages about the Minnesota teams. I obviously don't get articles in Cali about the Twins unless something crazy happens. I always would read Sid's piece first just because it would kinda cover "everything" Minnesota sports. Then I'd read all of the other stuff.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#13 jctwins

jctwins

• 440 posts

Posted Today, 01:52 PM

Since this thread has been quiet for four days...an interesting counter narrative was built in today's letters to the editor. I didn't realize it until it was pointed out, but every single story of adulation and picture with a sports figure has been with or from a male athlete or colleague.

• ashbury and Hosken Bombo Disco like this