Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

What Could Have Been?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shortround81

shortround81

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 61 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:59 PM

What could have been if Billy Heywood managed for more than one season???

https://www.foxsport...etrodome-101420

61bc3e03d4706e63beb50fd05c83e246_crop_exact.jpg

• SQUIRREL and USAFChief like this

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." -Pete Rose

#2 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,247 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:32 PM

Hilariously enough, I have wondered about the Dann Howitt card for years.

That is a wonderful read. It's great to get the inside story and see that they all take pride in their performance.

• shortround81 likes this

#3 shortround81

shortround81

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 61 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:30 AM

Hilariously enough, I have wondered about the Dann Howitt card for years.

That is a wonderful read. It's great to get the inside story and see that they all take pride in their performance.

Ditto! I always wondered if he knew he was "in" a movie! 

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Pitch(er) Mix: Tequila, Orange Liqueur, Lime Juice

• 13,813 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:50 AM

What could have been if Billy Heywood managed for more than one season???

That was a good link. Thanks for sharing. I'm bored and decided to take a hypothetical approach if he did manage one more season... 

Would he still hire Jerry Johnson to be the 3rd base coach and hitting instructor? 1 year into his tenure, he's already starting a little country club vibe. Didn't Jerry bat below the mendoza line before he was DFA'd and released? 

Would Lou Collins still be on the team? I mean, he's trying to marry Billy's mom. That'd be kind of weird to coach your dad, no? 

Billy was quite the tactician, seemingly knowing every baseball scenario and what to do. Would he embrace analytics?  

The bullpen appears very thin, with only John "Blackout" Gatling and Bowers as the mainstays. How do they boost the bullpen to overcome Randy Johnson and Ken Griffey? 

Perhaps Billy was wise beyond his years to hang it up after one season. It was a magical rally, and who knows if they could replicate that type of success again. 

#5 shortround81

shortround81

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 61 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 12:28 PM

That was a good link. Thanks for sharing. I'm bored and decided to take a hypothetical approach if he did manage one more season... 

Would he still hire Jerry Johnson to be the 3rd base coach and hitting instructor? 1 year into his tenure, he's already starting a little country club vibe. Didn't Jerry bat below the mendoza line before he was DFA'd and released? 

Would Lou Collins still be on the team? I mean, he's trying to marry Billy's mom. That'd be kind of weird to coach your dad, no? 

Billy was quite the tactician, seemingly knowing every baseball scenario and what to do. Would he embrace analytics?  

The bullpen appears very thin, with only John "Blackout" Gatling and Bowers as the mainstays. How do they boost the bullpen to overcome Randy Johnson and Ken Griffey? 

Perhaps Billy was wise beyond his years to hang it up after one season. It was a magical rally, and who knows if they could replicate that type of success again. 

Some very good points were made. My rebuttal:

1. We just saw Jerry at the very end of his year. I'd have to see his career stats to see if the coaching position would be fitting. Maybe Billy could show us that baseball card of Jerry's he wouldn't trade for. Also, there have always been coaches and managers who have been hired without the actual credentials. 

2. I'm pretty sure Lou was going to retire after that season anyway. 

3. Oh, he totally would. He was willing to forgo a day hanging out with his buddies at a waterpark just so he could go over paperwork. He'd be into anything that would help him get a leg up.

4. With the successful turnaround and almost making the playoffs I'm sure the front office could lure a decent reliever into their bullpen.

#6 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 27,051 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:11 PM

Pretty sure Heywood doesn't yank Berios after five.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.