Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Middle Infield Help

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

PR talk...saying what people want to hear...highly doubt they give him a shot to be a Super-Two. They'll say he needs some seasoning in AAA.

Do you have a link to Gardy's demand?

I'd probably say Maestro and Carroll is even less appealing. I have high hopes for Hicks, whenever they decide to bring him up...

Ask and you shall receive. Look and you can find
Sports

#32 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Ask and you shall receive. Look and you can find
Sports

I appreciate the link...but I didn't see a demand in there. Did I miss it?

#33 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

I appreciate the link...but I didn't see a demand in there. Did I miss it?

Oops, din't look close enough. The original poster is not the first to twist what someone has said. On 1500espn Mackey wrote this
"

But when the possibility arose that both could be dealt, manager

Ron Gardenhire

was adamant about one thing:If the centerfield job were to open up, Aaron Hicks deserves a legitimate shot to take it."

#34 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Oops, din't look close enough. The original poster is not the first to twist what someone has said. On 1500espn Mackey wrote this
"

Ron Gardenhire

was adamant about one thing:If the centerfield job were to open up, Aaron Hicks deserves a legitimate shot to take it."

I'm not sure I could stretch anything in there to be deemed a demand, but thanks again for the links. Ryan had already said Hicks would be in the mix for the job...whether or not what he said was true or not (unlikely) is another matter, but it's not like Ryan was telling everyone no chance Hicks gets the job and then Gardy stood up and said I DEMAND he gets a fair shot.

#35 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

"

Ron Gardenhire

I could have sworn that Gardy said a lot of the same stuff before last ST about Dozier.

#36 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

1) Being "adamant" that he deserves a legitimate shot is pretty much "demanding" that he deserves a legitimate shot. Let's not play the sophistry game.

2) Dozier got a legitimate shot. 80+ games in the bigs means perform or get sent down. Not being brought up at all means not getting a shot.

#37 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

1) Being "adamant" that he deserves a legitimate shot is pretty much "demanding" that he deserves a legitimate shot. Let's not play the sophistry game.

2) Dozier got a legitimate shot. 80+ games in the bigs means perform or get sent down. Not being brought up at all means not getting a shot.

Not playing anything..doesn't sound like a demand. Sounds less like a demand when Ryan already said Maestro, Benson and Hicks would all be given a shot for the CF job. It's like a husband telling a wife, 'I demand you give me the last piece of pie.' to which the wife replies, ' You already HAVE the last piece of pie on your plate with your fork in it.'

Besides, it's the reporter who wrote 'adamant'...Here's the quote:

"You know that (Darin Mastroianni) can probably do it," Gardenhire said on 1500 ESPN's Talkin' Twins Show Monday night. "But as I told Terry, when all these things were going on -- Span and then Revere -- we talked about it, if he trades this guy, what are you going to do here? ... If he trades both of them, what are you going to do?"

The one thing I asked Terry, I just want to make sure that Aaron Hicks has the opportunity to come into spring training -- if we trade Span, and we end up trading Revere too, and this was (said) way before (those trades) -- I said I want the opportunity to give him a shot at my centerfield job."

He said, 'asked' 'The one thing I ASKED Terry....' followed by 'want the opportunity to give him a shot at my centerfield job'. Where's the demand?

In any event, the point is, Hicks has almost no chance to make the team out of ST for business reasons. Remember when we had a three way battle for CF with Span, Gomez and I forget the other guy's name? When Gomez was announced 'the winner' Span had outperformed him.

Edited by ThePuck, 16 January 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#38 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

So you telling your wife "I am adamant that I have the last piece of pie" is somehow different than you telling your wife "I demand that I hae the last piece of pie."

Man, you must be hard to communicate with.

#39 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

So you telling your wife "I am adamant that I have the last piece of pie" is somehow different than you telling your wife "I demand that I hae the last piece of pie."

Man, you must be hard to communicate with.

Yeah, sure I am.

Again, here's the actual quote where the supposed 'demand' took place:

"You know that (Darin Mastroianni) can probably do it," Gardenhire said on 1500 ESPN's Talkin' Twins Show Monday night. "But as I told Terry, when all these things were going on -- Span and then Revere -- we talked about it, if he trades this guy, what are you going to do here? ... If he trades both of them, what are you going to do?"

The one thing I asked Terry, I just want to make sure that Aaron Hicks has the opportunity to come into spring training -- if we trade Span, and we end up trading Revere too, and this was (said) way before (those trades) -- I said I want the opportunity to give him a shot at my centerfield job."

He said, 'asked' 'The one thing I ASKED Terry....' followed by 'want the opportunity to give him a shot at my centerfield job'.

Where's the demand? I don't believe in giving Gardy points for cojones with Ryan when he doesn't deserve them.

#40 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Meh. I disagree. I also "adamantly" disagree about the importance of this issue, which was really my point in the first place. I'd rather not argue semantics.

I'm now off to read about how the front office is incompetent in literally every other thread.

#41 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Meh. I disagree. I also "adamantly" disagree about the importance of this issue, which was really my point in the first place. I'd rather not argue semantics.

I'm now off to read about how the front office is incompetent in literally every other thread.

So you disagree with the importance of the issue, but felt the need to chime in anyway, and respond back making a snide comment to me. Okay.

I just have a hard time reading the quotes and seeing a demand..or even GARDY himself saying he was adamant or demanding. I also find it unbelievable he'd be demanding anything considering he doesn't have a contract for next year and Ryan fired or re-assigned practically his whole staff. Gardy is in no position to demand anything.

If anything, I'm defending Ryan here...but continue on your quest to defend the front office in all those other threads...

#42 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

With Boston looking for a left handed 1b , is it posible to build a package around Justin , Harrison , Boyd and maybe Hermsen to aquire Bogaerts?

Why don't we just trade Butera straight up for Pujols?

Come on man. Every damn time.

#43 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

I agree that Dozier got a legitimate shot. I was referencing the comments Gardy made, even going back to August/September of 2011 that he wanted Dozier up and starting with the MLB team. I heard that echo when I read Gardy's comments about Hicks.

My point was that Gardy could be wrong about how ready Hicks is, and even if Hicks is ready, TR could overrule him on the decision.

#44 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

ok what would it take in your opinion?

#45 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

ok what would it take in your opinion?

Your proposal wasn't so crazy at all. In fact, you could probably switch out Hermsen for Benson and that would do it (no one should be THAT high on Hermsen at the moment and there needs to be a near-ready prospect involved).

#46 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Your proposal wasn't so crazy at all. In fact, you could probably switch out Hermsen for Benson and that would do it (no one should be THAT high on Hermsen at the moment and there needs to be a near-ready prospect involved).

This would help Minnesota sooooo much! We dont have a single standout SS prospect in our entire system. I cannot count Santana as a "standout"

#47 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

With Boston looking for a left handed 1b , is it posible to build a package around Justin , Harrison , Boyd and maybe Hermsen to aquire Bogaerts?

The nice thing about the players you'd give up here....is that all are expendable based on what the Twins will have remaining.

#48 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

The nice thing about the players you'd give up here....is that all are expendable based on what the Twins will have remaining.

He also completely ignores that Boston needs Bogaerts for short, thus making the trade not a good one for Boston

#49 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Give in to their demands and include Swarzak?

#50 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Give in to their demands and include Swarzak?

No Duensing, no deal.

#51 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

He also completely ignores that Boston needs Bogaerts for short, thus making the trade not a good one for Boston

True. Maybe there is another SS prospect out there buried behind an established major leaguer

#52 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Sorry, but that is pretty crazy. No team is going to trade arguably their top prospect for Morneau and a bunch of sub-top 10 prospects. Quantity does not make up for quality. As much as I love Morneau, he just isn't worth that much. If he were, wouldn't they have traded him last year at the deadline. The other three guys are just throw-ins to try to sweeten the pot.

#53 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

To piggy-back on my last post, that is exactly why Boston wouldn't even consider it. I'm not trying to pick on JD because I see this sort of thing all the time on here. You can't just throw a bunch of guys together that aren't our top prospects and expect to get something great in return. The only way Boston would consider it (although Bogaerts is probably untouchable) is if we include a top 5 prospect at an area of need for them.

#54 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

To piggy-back on my last post, that is exactly why Boston wouldn't even consider it. I'm not trying to pick on JD because I see this sort of thing all the time on here. You can't just throw a bunch of guys together that aren't our top prospects and expect to get something great in return. The only way Boston would consider it (although Bogaerts is probably untouchable) is if we include a top 5 prospect at an area of need for them.

How much "dis cuss sion" would have been generated by proposing Arcia and other prospects for Bogaerts?

#55 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

Right now, the Twins have no 40-man roster spots. The only players considered on the bubble would be free agents like Roeincke or Wood (shades of Gray and Maloney), DeVries or Swarzak, probably Butera. They have a Rule 5 guy. I doubt they would deep-six Thielbar or Hernandez, although both are possibilities. Is Florimon also a bubble player? They would be foolish to let go of Benson or Mastro. So that is the Twins problem right now. With Haren in the wings looking for a roster spot, too.

Being on the bubble in Minnesota, is that like being the only white guy in chino?

#56 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

Suspects for a prospect? All they could say is no(maybe while laughing) but could open dialog to start something...

#57 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Suspects for a prospect? All they could say is no(maybe while laughing) but could open dialog to start something...

Right. I am sure crazier proposals have been offered by GM's...maybe Sano could bring us back a real SS in trade?

#58 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

Has anyone heard the expected price range for Aledmys Diaz? I still thinks he makes the most sense for middle infield help. I have no idea if he can play in the majors. If he can a young controllable shortstop that does not cost us any prospects would be the way to go. I would rather see them take a chance on Diaz than sign Sanchez or Kellie Johnson. I know signing Diaz would be more money than either of those two but the twins should not be out of money this year.

#59 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,398 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

I have not read any concrete numbers but I assume the Yankees will be interested in Diaz due to his status