Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Middle Infield Help

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

I know a lot of posters on here have suggested going after Kelly Johnson. I wouldn't be opposed to that. I was looking through the list of potential free agents and one name caught my eye. Freddy Sanchez. I know he has had health issues. He should come cheap and he would be a nice two hole hitter. I think either one would be worth a shot. Thoughts?

#2 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

I don't know, he might not post more than 2 WAR, and since that won't by itself make us competitive this year, that would be spending money foolishly.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#3 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

I don't know, he might not post more than 2 WAR, and since that won't by itself make us competitive this year, that would be spending money foolishly.

with few exception, during a 162 game season teams win 50 games and they lose 50 games. It's what you do with the other 62 that makes the difference.

But we get it, you don't think we should spend. You'd rather they just pocket the money and have us be even worse than we could be if we spent. So much for their promises...

#4 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

I thought we should of jumped on Izturis, but with that a non issue now,
there really isnt much help out there, i think 2b will either have the gremlin or dozier.
So in this case with what we could sign , standing pat doesnt bother me .

#5 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

with few exception, during a 162 game season teams win 50 games and they lose 50 games. It's what you do with the other 62 that makes the difference.

But we get it, you don't think we should spend. You'd rather they just pocket the money and have us be even worse than we could be if we spent. So much for their promises...

My post was supposed to be sarcastic. :)

#6 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

I think it's a good idea. We need a #1 or #2 batter. I'd sign Sanchez or Kelly if they're not overpriced. Terry Ryan, however, announced they will use their team options at SS and 2B. He seems to want a 3B, for whatever reason. Play Plouffe, and sign a middle infielder! Our 2B and SS are going to be infinitely mediocre.

#7 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

I know this goes against the prevailing opinion here, but I'd rather see them give a legit chance to Florimon at SS and Dozier at 2B. They will both be 26 this season and if they are ever more than utility players they need to prove it now. Carroll is the perfect utility guy as he can play all three IF spots. Leave Escobar in AAA to play SS.

#8 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

I know this goes against the prevailing opinion here, but I'd rather see them give a legit chance to Florimon at SS and Dozier at 2B. They will both be 26 this season and if they are ever more than utility players they need to prove it now. Carroll is the perfect utility guy as he can play all three IF spots. Leave Escobar in AAA to play SS.

I agree with you that the focus should be building for the future, so why not give these players a change to prove themselves? On the other hand, if one of them falters, why not give Escobar a chance?

#9 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

Sanchez if cheap enough would be worth the gamble. Let's see what he has.

#10 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

My God, Ryan didn't make an offer to any of the dozen middle infield free agents. He didn't pick one up in the rule 5 draft. You know Dan Uggla was a rule 5 pickup. Surely one of them is going to bean all star and the Twins are missing out. Why didn't they sign Andino was he wasn't tendered? That front office is just not doing their job.

#11 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

Put the young players out there and see what they can do. I do not think adding an old middle infielder helps this team compete this year, nor does it help them develop players for the future. They have clearly decided this is not a year to contend, given that, only young players should be up or added.

#12 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Either of these guys would likely make the team better for not a lot of money. They also have the chance of being trade bait in July. If the point is not to put the best team on the field why have Willingham, Doumit and Morneau on the team? If it's about letting young guys play trade these guys and let all the young guys play.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#13 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

SP is where it's at, I think we should spend there, we need a few more. MI adds doesn't really help us much, but it would be nice to add a good bat.

#14 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Try to get Mauer to play a little backup 3b or 2b and you would be pretty set. it's his team.

#15 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

SP is where it's at, I think we should spend there, we need a few more. MI adds doesn't really help us much, but it would be nice to add a good bat.

MIs add a lot, especially if they are quality fielders with a little pop or have good OBPs. This team might set a record for least amount of strikeouts in a 162 game season. Need people who can field.

#16 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 987 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Right now, the Twins have no 40-man roster spots. The only players considered on the bubble would be free agents like Roeincke or Wood (shades of Gray and Maloney), DeVries or Swarzak, probably Butera. They have a Rule 5 guy. I doubt they would deep-six Thielbar or Hernandez, although both are possibilities. Is Florimon also a bubble player? They would be foolish to let go of Benson or Mastro. So that is the Twins problem right now. With Haren in the wings looking for a roster spot, too.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#17 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

I think they most need to see what they have in the system. That appears to be more important than fielding well or not.

#18 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

MIs add a lot, especially if they are quality fielders with a little pop or have good OBPs. This team might set a record for least amount of strikeouts in a 162 game season. Need people who can field.

Last year our pitching staff threw 943Ks (and Liriano had 109 of them). 943Ks was, by far, the least of any pitching staff last year. The next highest had 143 more than we did. To put that into perspective....the difference between 29th in teams Ks and 14th in team Ks, was less than 143.

Defense is going to be important.

#19 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

Right now, the Twins have no 40-man roster spots. The only players considered on the bubble would be free agents like Roeincke or Wood (shades of Gray and Maloney), DeVries or Swarzak, probably Butera. They have a Rule 5 guy. I doubt they would deep-six Thielbar or Hernandez, although both are possibilities. Is Florimon also a bubble player? They would be foolish to let go of Benson or Mastro. So that is the Twins problem right now. With Haren in the wings looking for a roster spot, too.

They can put Blackburn on the60-day DL and open a spot on the roster.

#20 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Just make Mauer the shortstop and go out and find a catcher.

#21 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Blacky was outrighted and no longer on the 40 man last year.

#22 Craig in MN

Craig in MN

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

An interesting angle with Sanchez is that he is a legitimately good hitter even if he can't play defense. The best case scenario is that he's healthy enough to play regularly and he's a big addition for very little salary. Even if his health is bad enough that he can't really play 2nd (or 3rd), having him as an extra bat is still useful. He is a career .342/.383/.489 hitter against lefties. Morneau, Parmalee, & Doumit all have weaknesses against lefties, and Mauer could rest some days too. Having Sanchez available to DH against lefties, pinch hit on other days, and maybe play second for a few innings after doing so isn't a bad fallback plan. They are probably going to carry a second utility guy...it might as well be one that can hit and gives you some upside.

#23 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

As Ultimo said, Blackburn is not on the 40-man roster, but if he was there is no DL (15 day or 60 day) until the end of ST.

#24 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

It's not not Haren, It's Harden we got. Two completely different pitches.

#25 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Who is Haren?

#26 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

With Boston looking for a left handed 1b , is it posible to build a package around Justin , Harrison , Boyd and maybe Hermsen to aquire Bogaerts?

#27 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

I'm on board with bringing in a guy like Sanchez even if he sits on the bench. At this point we're going to have what, Hicks leading off and Carroll batting 2nd? Yuck. At the very least, I'd like to have a legit PH option when Florimon comes up with 2 on in the 7th and Escobar or Carroll is not that guy.

#28 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

I'm on board with bringing in a guy like Sanchez even if he sits on the bench. At this point we're going to have what, Hicks leading off and Carroll batting 2nd? Yuck. At the very least, I'd like to have a legit PH option when Florimon comes up with 2 on in the 7th and Escobar or Carroll is not that guy.

Won't be Hicks...not to start the season...

#29 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Won't be Hicks...not to start the season...

Just saw an article today that Gardy demanded Ryan give him a 'fair shot'. Either way, Mastro and Carroll is not much more appealing.

#30 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Just saw an article today that Gardy demanded Ryan give him a 'fair shot'. Either way, Mastro and Carroll is not much more appealing.

PR talk...saying what people want to hear...highly doubt they give him a shot to be a Super-Two. They'll say he needs some seasoning in AAA.

Do you have a link to Gardy's demand?

I'd probably say Maestro and Carroll is even less appealing. I have high hopes for Hicks, whenever they decide to bring him up...