Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Wolfson: Twins Scouting Yoshinobu Yamamoto

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,503 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:08 PM

Doogie Wolfson tweeted that the Twins are going to be scouting 22-year-old RHP Yoshinobu Yamamoto, "one of the premier young pitchers in NPB." 

• glunn, Cory Engelhardt and operation mindcrime like this

#2 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Minnesota Twins

• 3,627 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:25 PM

I hope we can sign this guy when he's made available!

#3 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,503 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:37 PM

That is an unusual whip motion with his arm. Do you thing his arm will fall off sooner or later? Can you compare his motion to anyone who in in the ML currently?

• nicksaviking, SF Twins Fan and Twinfan603 like this

#4 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 588 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:58 AM

The ball seems to really travel. What is it clocked at?

#5 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 858 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 17 October 2020 - 11:02 AM

The ball seems to really travel. What is it clocked at?

I was curious too. I found this "legacy" webpage from BP that provides a full scouting report from two years ago. He was only 20 years old at that time. Good velocity, five pitches.

Here's a tweet with video from this year. Shows him striking out 10 in a game.

• glunn and Doctor Gast like this

#6 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 588 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 11:52 AM

I was curious too. I found this "legacy" webpage from BP that provides a full scouting report from two years ago. He was only 20 years old at that time. Good velocity, five pitches.

Here's a tweet with video from this year. Shows him striking out 10 in a game.

Thanks, besides great stuff, his delivery seems pretty deceptive

• dbminn likes this

#7 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 858 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:00 PM

Thanks, besides great stuff, his delivery seems pretty deceptive

His split-finger looks mean.

• Doctor Gast likes this

#8 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,571 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:58 PM

I have seen big hits and misses with the Japanese postings and I have no insights.If we go for him I hope he is the next big success story.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#9 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 387 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:22 PM

Unique delivery, almost like a catapult. If he can change speeds and hit his spots he might be a good one.

#10 cardsfan

cardsfan

Ft Myers Miracle

• 428 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:35 AM

I have seen big hits and misses with the Japanese postings and I have no insights. If we go for him I hope he is the next big success story.

I only know of Nomo being good for more than a couple of seasons from Japan and only with the Dodgers twice. Dice-k?

I wonder about Ohtani.
  • mikelink45 likes this

#11 Road trip

Road trip

Elizabethton Twins

• 17 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:55 AM

I only know of Nomo being good for more than a couple of seasons from Japan and only with the Dodgers twice. Dice-k?

I wonder about Ohtani.

Quite a few more success stories than Nomo and Dice-K. Maeda, Darvish, and Tanaka got to MLB relatively young and have done very well. Iwakuma, Saito, and Uehara had nice careers as well, but didn't get to MLB until they were in their 30s so their careers were relatively short here.

• mikelink45, DocBauer, dbminn and 1 other like this

#12 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,898 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:57 PM

Unique delivery, almost like a catapult. If he can change speeds and hit his spots he might be a good one.

I was thinking trebuchet. Man, I really want the exciting young foreign player but eesh, that deliver while cool, looks like it's got to be really rough on the shoulder. Man, I miss the drop and drive power arms though. 

But I'm no expert, for all I know it's super efficient and that's how everyone will throw in ten years!

• glunn, DocBauer, tarheeltwinsfan and 1 other like this

#13 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,932 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:17 PM

I'm glad the Twins aren't being shy about looking oversees after a couple of blunt toe moves in the past, but I'm a little confused here. I've done a couple online searches and I haven't found anything about any pending availability, recent scouting reports, or projected dollar numbers.

I'd like to think a winning ballclub and this FO and the presence of Maeda would put the Twins near the top of potential suitors, but I feel very much out of any loop as to his value financially or as an asset at this time.
  • Monkeypaws likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#14 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 387 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:49 PM

He has played on the same team as Andrew Albers in Japan the past 3 years. Hey Andrew, any insights?

#15 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 588 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:25 AM

When I said deceptive, I mean different & that some hitters might have difficulty to pick up on him.

Also his strike from CF, is he auditioning also for CF? if so he could be late inning defensive sub if Buck isn`t available

#16 cardsfan

cardsfan

Ft Myers Miracle

• 428 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:15 AM

Quite a few more success stories than Nomo and Dice-K. Maeda, Darvish, and Tanaka got to MLB relatively young and have done very well. Iwakuma, Saito, and Uehara had nice careers as well, but didn't get to MLB until they were in their 30s so their careers were relatively short here.

Darvish did lead the Cubs with 8 wins, but, he has been bad after first 2 years with Texas. Maeda is in the BP in the second half of the season so good luck there. Expected more out of Tanaka.

#17 twinfan

twinfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 148 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:40 AM

Nomo burst on the scene with his unorthodox delivery. Tanaka has been decent though not great. Darvish has finally lived up to expectations but we'll see what happens next. Maeda has been very good though had not been used that much until this year. Hopefully this guy is good and we can get him. As far as fastball velocity, I see where they say that Geratol (sp) whom we traded throws 100 mph but his ball doesn't have good movement. Speed isn't everything- especially now that many pitchers throw in the upper 90s. Hitters adjust.

#18 Road trip

Road trip

Elizabethton Twins

• 17 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:25 AM

Darvish did lead the Cubs with 8 wins, but, he has been bad after first 2 years with Texas. Maeda is in the BP in the second half of the season so good luck there. Expected more out of Tanaka.

Darvish had an extraordinarily bad year in 2018, but otherwise he's been mostly quite good. A career ERA+ of 125 is not easily replicated.  

Maeda was among the top 3-5 starting pitchers in the AL this year. He'll get Cy Young votes, and would be a contender in many years but of course this year Bieber was otherworldly.

You are tough to satisfy I guess. None of the above are Hall of Famers, but every GM would be happy with the outcome if they signed an international prospect like Yamamoto and he then performed with Tanaka/Maeda/Darvish-like results.

• Hosken Bombo Disco, DocBauer and AceWrigley like this

#19 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,898 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:25 AM

I'm pretty confident neither Darvish or Maeda finish outside the top four in CY Young votes this year. In fact, there's a good chance both end up runner up.

In fact you'll have to point out when exactly Darvish was bad, the only bad year I see is 2018. I count seven good years to one bad year for him.

• Hosken Bombo Disco and DocBauer like this

#20 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,445 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:04 PM

I'd like to think a winning ballclub and this FO and the presence of Maeda would put the Twins near the top of potential suitors, but I feel very much out of any loop as to his value financially or as an asset at this time.

Let's hope Maeda was his hero! Maybe he got an autograph or something.