Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

White Sox make changes

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,628 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:05 AM

Both Manager Rick Rentaria and pitching coach Don Cooper were let go.  

Was a bit surprised by this, because the White Sox seem to be moving the right direction, and this was even a year early for where most people expected them to be.Would be interesting to see if there was something internal that led to the late season fade from winning the division and the second seed to finishing as the 7th seed. 

• nclahammer likes this

#2 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,621 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:05 AM

The ending killed Renteria's chance of staying on, but more important we have Hinch and Cora becoming available and I would be the WS are drooling over one of them.

#3 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,628 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:51 AM

The ending killed Renteria's chance of staying on, but more important we have Hinch and Cora becoming available and I would be the WS are drooling over one of them.

They are considered 1 and 1A for that job.Unless MLB tells them they can't.

• mikelink45 likes this

#4 Trov

Trov

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 644 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:52 AM

I wonder if the fact they did not beat above .500 teams very much is what led to this.They faded down the stretch too.The WS have always been an interesting organization to me with moves they make.They have the lineup but lack pitching depth, and a couple of their high draft picks they were counting on to develop never did.Most notably Rondon.They did turn Giolito around, but did they really?He pitches well against some line ups but Twins seem to have always handled him well.  

It was surprising to see a team on the rise to cut ties with manager, but if he is not the right fit you do it.Why hang onto guy if you do not think he is right for team.White Sox has always wanted to be offense first team, worry about defense and pitching later.It has not worked out too well over the years. 

#5 spycake

spycake

• 18,401 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:00 PM

Renteria was also the guy who managed the last year of the Cubs rebuild, before Maddon became available. So there's some precedent for this!

Also, Renteria only had a year left on his contract, so the White Sox probably felt like they either had to extend him now or cut him loose. No sense trying to compete with a lame-duck manager.

• Dman likes this

#6 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 245 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:28 PM

Methinks the Whities made a mistake.

#7 Thegrin

Thegrin

• 1,133 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:37 PM

Perhaps there is information that we do not know.Clubhouses can sometimes keep their problems to themselves.:)

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,861 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 October 2020 - 04:16 PM

Renteria was also the guy who managed the last year of the Cubs rebuild, before Maddon became available. So there's some precedent for this!
Also, Renteria only had a year left on his contract, so the White Sox probably felt like they either had to extend him now or cut him loose. No sense trying to compete with a lame-duck manager.

Renteria might be thought of as a great manager during a rebuild, and not a great manager during contention. Not a bad gig when you think about it, really... Players and managers across time in all sports have made lucrative careers in that role!
  • beckmt likes this

#9 cardsfan

cardsfan

Ft Myers Miracle

• Banned
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:32 AM

I'm wondering how good Luis Robert is? He's hyped. Can he hit offspeed and sliders?

#10 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,588 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 10:44 AM

Renteria might be thought of as a great manager during a rebuild, and not a great manager during contention. Not a bad gig when you think about it, really... Players and managers across time in all sports have made lucrative careers in that role!

I think that's the consensus here but...it's still weird. The reward for the successful rebuild is: fired.

#11 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,861 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:13 PM

Wow... That’s not the hire I expected in Chicago. They should have been on a rocket ship to contention. Not too sure about the direction they’re going anymore.

#12 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 732 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:21 PM

Kind of odd, but there have been rumblings about this ever since they fired Renteria. 

I'm not sure this is the right move for them, but who knows. Tony is a badass, maybe that is what is needed for them? If nothing else, this will be fun to watch. He's old though...

#13 spycake

spycake

• 18,401 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 01:05 PM

Wow. Crazy rumor comes true.

Should be fun to watch!

#14 4twinsJA

4twinsJA

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 158 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:56 PM

Wow, I guess we will see if old school coaching still works. Wonder what TL thinks of all the analytics in the game now. Great manager in his day.

#15 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,249 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 04:54 PM

Wow, I guess we will see if old school coaching still works. Wonder what TL thinks of all the analytics in the game now. Great manager in his day.

He is the Godfather of the modern bullpen. He'll fit right in.

#16 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,830 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 07:23 PM

When’s the last time a 76 year old go a HC job? It’s hard to believe he was their manager from 1979-1986. Very odd decision.

Tigers are going with A.J. Hinch as their manager - start move, I say.

#17 spycake

spycake

• 18,401 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:19 PM

When’s the last time a 76 year old go a HC job?

Jack McKeon took over for the 2011 Marlins at age 80. Of course, that was midseason, with the expectation that he was just an interim manager. Only other manager older than 76 was Connie Mack. Stengel lasted until 75, Felipe Alou 71.

McKeon was originally hired by the Marlins in 2003 midseason at age 72.

Baker was hired last winter at age 70.

I wouldn’t exactly be pleased if I were a Sox fan, but it should be interesting either way!
  • gunnarthor likes this

#18 dex8425

dex8425

Ft Myers Miracle

• 349 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:27 PM

Wow... That’s not the hire I expected in Chicago. They should have been on a rocket ship to contention. Not too sure about the direction they’re going anymore.

Wouldn't this be like if the Twins hired TK as the manager?

#19 spycake

spycake

• 18,401 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:48 PM

Close! LaRussa is older, but has managed much more recently (2011, and won a WS that year too).

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,861 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:48 PM

Fun fact! TK and Jim Leyland are both younger than La Russa.