Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Rest In Peace Ron Perranoski

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rigby

Rigby

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 177 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 October 2020 - 06:14 PM

One of the Twins best all-time relievers. Godspeed Ron.

• glunn, operation mindcrime and jkcarew like this

#2 chinmusic

chinmusic

Elizabethton Twins

• 48 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 October 2020 - 06:31 AM

And Dodgers, too...

Wasn't he the first bona fide relief pitcher, as that role came to be defined? 

• operation mindcrime likes this

#3 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• 208 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 07:56 AM

As a Twins fan growing up, Al Worthington was the first Twins "Fireman" I remember, but Ron Perronoski was the first I remember being really good.His 1969 and 1970 seasons were very good with him leading the way in 1969 and teaming with another former Dodger, Stan Williams in 1970.He's also the Dodgers pitching coach credited with molding Fernando Valenzuela and Orel Hershiser into the dominant pitchers they were.Perranoski didn't have overpowering stuff (and neither did Hershiser or Fernando, but Perronoski "knew' how to pitch and he instilled that in both Hershiser and Fernando.It's been a tough year for a guy my age and players I admired as a kid passing.Just off the top of my head:Bob Gibson & Lou Brock, Gale Sayers, Tom Seaver and Al Kaline, Ron Perranoski, and I know I'm leaving several out.Prayers to those that have passed, their families and their friends. 

• glunn and operation mindcrime like this

#4 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,418 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 04 October 2020 - 09:04 AM

I lifted this from the StarTribune web site. I enjoyed reading it.

https://www.startrib...t-84/572628121/

• glunn, TopGunn#22, IndianaTwin and 1 other like this

#5 Rigby

Rigby

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 177 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 October 2020 - 09:36 AM

As a Twins fan growing up, Al Worthington was the first Twins "Fireman" I remember, but Ron Perronoski was the first I remember being really good.His 1969 and 1970 seasons were very good with him leading the way in 1969 and teaming with another former Dodger, Stan Williams in 1970.He's also the Dodgers pitching coach credited with molding Fernando Valenzuela and Orel Hershiser into the dominant pitchers they were.Perranoski didn't have overpowering stuff (and neither did Hershiser or Fernando, but Perronoski "knew' how to pitch and he instilled that in both Hershiser and Fernando.It's been a tough year for a guy my age and players I admired as a kid passing.Just off the top of my head:Bob Gibson & Lou Brock, Gale Sayers, Tom Seaver and Al Kaline, Ron Perranoski, and I know I'm leaving several out.Prayers to those that have passed, their families and their friends. 

I had the opportunity to meet Stan on his way north from spring training in 1970. The Twins stopped in Charlotte to play their last spring game against the Mets coming off their Amazin' season. He gave my brother and myself a couple of baseballs (which I still have). Incredibly nice man.

#6 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 27,051 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 04 October 2020 - 10:59 AM

RIP. A great Twin.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#7 Thegrin

Thegrin

• 1,130 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 04 October 2020 - 01:32 PM

I'll always remember him fondly. He was a treasure to a Twins fan.:)

#8 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,621 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:37 PM

First Twins closer was Ray Moore for a couple of seasons. Then a whopper of a year from Bill Dailey. Al Worthington was wonderful. Johnny Klippstein as his second., Then Perranoski and Stan Williams as the bullpen arms.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com