Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Jared Burton

jared burton
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 revdrev

revdrev

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

Can someone please give me more info on this guy? I really like him as a possible RH Setup Guy or a RH bullpen guy but I don't know what he throws, how fast, his stats, why he was released from the reds? What are his chances at this point of making the bullpen? It would kill me if a Terry Doyle or a Swarzak made it in over this guy. Please any info you have I would love to hear or if you have seen him pitch in person that would be even better. Thanks,

#2 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

In 2007 and 2008 he was essentially being molded into a closer role with the Reds. He was excellent as a setup guy. Then things took a turn in 2009 and he was out hampered by injuries in 2009 and 2010, and spent time in AAA those years and last year. He has a career 8.6 K/9 rate in the minors and 7.6 in the majors (this would be good for the Twins in 2012).

#3 ben

ben

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

Just curious, if you haven't seen him pitch, you don't know what he throws, and you don't know his stats, why would it kill you if Doyle or Swarzak made the team over him?

#4 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

Just curious, if you haven't seen him pitch, you don't know what he throws, and you don't know his stats, why would it kill you if Doyle or Swarzak made the team over him?

I was kind of thinking the same thing.

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

Here is the one paragraph: Big guy 6-5, 228 with good downward plane motion. Cutter, Slider, Change and an ocassional 4 seamer. FB velocity in the low 90s (down from low-mid 90s earlier in his career). Slider is his out (and best pitch) even though the cutter has been good on occasion. Ocassional control problems with FB/Cutter. .
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

Burton's definitely a nice sleeper in camp this year. Loved the signing when the Twins nabbed him. There are a bunch of long-shot "maybes" to fill that right-handed setup void, but Burton's actually done it in the past. If he's healthy he could really help this bullpen, and the signs thus far have been very positive. As for what he throws, pretty much a classic fastball/slider type of reliever, with a few change-ups mixed in. He had his slider in the upper-80s back when he was pitching well in the Reds pen, and it was a very nice weapon.

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

His best pitch is his cutter, which was (unfairly) compared to Mariano Rivera's before the arm issues.

#8 revdrev

revdrev

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

Yah sorry for being so hyperbolic. I for one would like to see maybe two RH with some velo and nice sliders. I have watched swarzak a lot and know doyle is another control artist (truthfully I don't know why they signed marquis instead of giving doyle #5 status thus eliminating the prob of returning him to the White Sox). I guess I would like to see a couple of Strikeout guys in the bullpen. Again sorry for going to crazy against Swarzak and Doyle. Oh and Thrylos, Nick and Shanewahl thanks for the great info!

Edited by revdrev, 14 March 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#9 Fanatic Jack

Fanatic Jack

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

I'm actually starting to believe in Jared Burton. He could really help out a bad bullpen.

#10 davidjcampbell

davidjcampbell

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

I'm actually starting to believe in Jared Burton. He could really help out a bad bullpen.

Are you feeling ok Jack? There is a shred of positivity in one of those sentences.