Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Our lineup when the Twins will be playing for the World Series?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Haddyz

Haddyz

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

We all long for the Octobers of 1987 and 1991. Granted, now we're ending seasons in November.

The point is, we all want to be back there. And more than anything, we want to be playing beyond the ALDS.

Is this what we'll be looking at in a few years?

C/DH-Joe Mauer
1B-Chris Parmalee
2B-Eddie Rosario
3B-Miguel Sano
SS-Jorge Polanco
LF-Oswaldo Arcia
CF-Byron Buxton
RF-Aaron Hicks

It's kinda funny looking at it, Joe Mauer will be called Grampa in a locker room like this. We could have fun with speculation as to whom the 4th outfielder would be... along with the backup/secondary catcher. Mauer will likely trade off DHing with a Parmalee type. I know with the exception of those two guys, it would be a fast team!

I don't expect this perfect storm of bodies to approach the majors and the Twins be this golden, all home grown team, but it would be fun it they could rise up much like we did at the beginning of the 2000's and mix in one or two decent FA's.

It would be fun to speculate on the 5man rotation as well, but I can't as the Twins always figure a way to get their starting pitching prospects hurt. Anyone counting the days til Meyer and May get TJ surgery too?

Santa, this is my wish list in a year or two or three.

#2 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Pretty good. I think Parmelee will be replaced by Sano at first base and someone else will be the third baseman. Perhaps Niko Goodrum moves over there or it will still be Plouffe or some smart trade will bring someone else in. What I do love is that absent a potential hole at third, I could comfortably fill out a 25-man roster for that WS team from players in the organization right now (Beresford, Santana, Herrmann, Benson, Roberts, Pinto as other possible position players).

#3 jtrinaldi

jtrinaldi

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Pretty good. I think Parmelee will be replaced by Sano at first base and someone else will be the third baseman. Perhaps Niko Goodrum moves over there or it will still be Plouffe or some smart trade will bring someone else in. What I do love is that absent a potential hole at third, I could comfortably fill out a 25-man roster for that WS team from players in the organization right now (Beresford, Santana, Herrmann, Benson, Roberts, Pinto as other possible position players).

I see it this way
C/DH-Joe Mauer
1B-Travis Harrison
2B-Eddie Rosario
3B-Miguel Sano
SS-Candido Pimentel/Danny Santana
LF- Max Kepler
CF-Byron Buxton
RF-Aaron Hicks
DH-Oswaldo Arcia
Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
http://www.facebook....256164664420932

#4 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

Forgot about Kepler.

#5 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

I like this New Year's Eve Dream Team &
Since we're Dreaming:

2016 Twins WS Team

C / DH-Joe Mauer (Joe Doing Joe)
C - Jonathon Lucroy (via trade with Brewers - for Aaron Hicks)
1B - Miguel Sano (80 Power and Solid Defense @ 1st)
2B - Eddie Rosario (Pure Hitter and Athleticism)
3B - Wilmer Floresor Anthony Rendon (4Tools)
(
via trade with Mets or Nationals respectively - for Oswaldo Arcia + prospects)
All everyone seems to do is complain about 3B defense & consistency
SS - Aledmys Diaz (2013 Cuban International Signee)
LF - Max Kepler (Pure Hitter and Athleticism)
CF - Byron Buxton (5 Tools)
RF / DH / 1B - Adam Walker (Power & Athleticism)
4th OF - Nate Roberts (OB% & Speed)
4th IF - Jorge Polanco (excellent defense)

Pitching Rotation: Meyer (1) - Berrios (2) - Worley (3) - Mays (4) - S. Manaea [2013 Draft / Indiana State Univ./ 6'5 LHP] (5)

Bull Pen
- H. Boyd (RHP) - Bryd (RHP) - DJ Baxendale (RHP) - Chris Anderson [2013 Draft / Jacksonville Univ. & from MN - 6'4 RHP]
C. Williams (LHP) - Melotakis (LHP) - T. Duffy (SU / RHP) - JT Chargois (CP)

12 Position Players and
13 Pitchers (all under 30 years old - just like the Tampa Rays format)

Works for Me:)

#6 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Whats your WS Dream Team

#7 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

I posted this playoff (World Series?) prediction a few weeks ago. It was written in the context of Joe Mauer's career potential--HOF, or not. I think it fits better with this thread:

The Twins go 74-88 in 2013, and Morneau and Willingham are dealt just before the trade deadline for talent. Ron Gardenhire's contract is not renewed. Paul Molitor is named the new manager and introduces a hustling, up-tempo offense that jells with his young core of talented position players, bolstered by one more good draft.

Buxton and Hicks exceed Span and Revere as outfielders, and Rosario, Michael, and Santana solidify the middle infield, Sano's glove catches up to his bat and his arm at 3rd base, and Chris Hermann spells Mauer as a fine defensive catcher. Arcia, or a gloveless Sano becomes a memorable Twins designated hitter... (Who was the last memorable designated hitter?? [COLOR=#3f5494]A New but Old Problem: Who Is the Twins' Designated Hitter? - Twinkie Town[/COLOR] C'mon, we're due here!)

Mauer develops into a catcher/coach of promising young pitchers (a talent that he hasn't displayed, to me...), and Terry Ryan is named Sweet Genius for trading to get Alex Myer and Trevor May. (Gibson, Berrios, Bard, Hendricks, Diamond? Pick three and they round out a very solid rotation.) The bullpen doesn't crash, and Glen Perkins emerges as a top-five closer.

Mauer produces with a batting average that gradually decreases from .320 to .280 over the next six years. He stays healthy as the Twins go deep into the playoffs from 2015-2018, and take home some hardware. Six years of catching roughly 90-100 games a season takes its toll. Mauer retires when he's 35, and his contract expires after the 2018 season. He ends up coaching alongside his big brother, Jake, for many more years in the Twins organization. Twenty years from now Mauer, Bench and Berra are mentioned in the same breath.

This is not just wishful thinking. Stranger things have happened, we just don't believe in them. After all, we are Minnesotans. Happy New Year!

#8 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 992 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

I don't see that big of a decrease in Mauer's average over time. I just wonder who will be catching more often than not for the Twins. Josmil Pinto, perhaps, half-time. If you look at the Twins roster this far out, you can see the Twins saving a lot of money over the next 3-5 years on payroll. Combined with trading veterans, drafting high this year and next, then Twins should have a pretty vibrant farm system, almost too much of a good thing, so can see a veteran presence added each year after 2015 for a prospect over-abundance or two. And if they WOULD decide to play the free agent marketplace, who knows. See Hicks/Benson in 2013/ Arcia in 2014/ Buxton in 2015/ Kepler a regular in 2016. In between you have Morales and all those others as the 4th.Question is: Do we see the Twins rushing any prospects?

Edited by Rosterman, 06 January 2013 - 05:01 PM.

Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#9 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Alcohol Infused

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

2015, Twins compete in AL Central and have an outside chance at post-season contention, although that chance is quite small

C - Mauer/Herrmann, Mauer will play a lot of DH, but will still catch 60 games behind the dish
1B - Parmelee
2B - Rosario, although I think this is a stretch, his defense will need to improve, but his bat should play for a middle infielder
3B - Someone suggested Goodrum, which I like, but I think this spot is filled by a veteran FA signing
SS - Goodrum, I love this kid and think he can be an above average everyday regular
LF - Arcia
CF - Hicks
RF - Benson

I don't know, but I like this game.

#10 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

It looks like a last place team to me. Over half those players won't even make it.

#11 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

They will all have successful careers, they just won't all be stars. Success is playing at the MLB level for 4+ years and earning a pension :). I just want to know why you don't have Sano in lineup.

#12 ShaeTwins

ShaeTwins

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

The question is: Where does Drew Butera fit into all of this?

#13 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

2B Jamey Carroll
CF Ryan Sweeney
C Joe Mauer
LF Josh Willingham
1B Justin Morneau
DH Ryan Doumit
RF Chris Parmelee
3B Brandon Inge
SS Pedro Florimon

P Kevin Correia

#14 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

It looks like a last place team to me. Over half those players won't even make it.

As obnoxious as Top Gun is this is correct. The good thing is the Twins have a lot of hitting prospects and they should form a strong core even if several disappoint. The key will be building some sort of rotation and making a few well timed splurges into FA to go around those prospects. They'll also need a few of those players to become well above average players.