Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

ALC gone from the postseason

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 27,053 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 October 2020 - 05:26 PM

1-6 combined. The White Sox managed to win a game.

Not sure what that says for sure, maybe nothing, but the implications aren't good.

As an aside, Oakland's win was their first postseason series win since...2006.
  • ashbury, glunn and wsnydes like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#2 Kevin Urdahl

Kevin Urdahl

Elizabethton Twins

• 9 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 05:47 PM

It means something, but I think there is a risk of overinterpreting. The Twins are a much better team than Houston. Nothing will make me believe otherwise. Houston rose to the occasion in a 3 game series more than the Twins did. These things happen in baseball.

• glunn likes this

#3 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 06:09 PM

It means something, but I think there is a risk of overinterpreting. The Twins are a much better team than Houston. Nothing will make me believe otherwise. Houston rose to the occasion in a 3 game series more than the Twins did. These things happen in baseball.

What about the risk of overinterpreting from a 2 month season? Especially between two teams playing completely different schedules and having different incentives to win (Houston didn't have much of a third place threat chasing them from behind).

• wsnydes likes this

#4 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 06:39 PM

1-6 combined.

And 0-4 at home.

Run differentials:
OAK 12, CHW 11
NYY 22, CLE 12
HOU 7, MIN 2

#5 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 06:40 PM

Could the AL Central teams organize their own losers bracket now? NIT tournament?
  • nicksaviking, Danchat, Longdistancetwins and 4 others like this

#6 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,592 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 07:34 PM

Could the AL Central teams organize their own losers bracket now? NIT tournament?

I think you would need four teams, not three.

So I propose that Detroit and KC play a play-in game. :)
  • drunksam, spycake and Platoon like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#7 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 438 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 08:00 PM

Tampa won the Stanley Cup and they are making a legit run at the WS. Over theyears the Lightning have drawn some of the biggest crowds in the NHL during the regular season. The Rays may be the worst team in baseball attendance-wise.Go figure. Those Florida fans like hockey over baseball?

I have been hoping that the Rays move to Montreal. It would be good for baseball to have Montreal back in the big leagues. Only reason attendance tanked over the final 10 years was 1) the 1994 strike 2) telling the fans the team was moving every year thereafter 3) an owner whose only purpose for being there was to move the team 4) a GM who pocketed the excise tax money rather than spend it improving the team.

Montreal is a great baseball town...ever since the AAA Montreal Royals and Jackie Robinson. Tampa has never been a good baseball town...from the inception.

(of note: the Expos drew more fans to their horrible ballpark than the Rays in their horrible ballpark!)

#8 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 27,053 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 October 2020 - 08:18 PM

like i need more heartbreak.
  • wsnydes likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#9 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,838 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 05:15 AM

The possibilities are endless! With the Twins winning the division and getting the top seed, they get to play with Royals-Tigers winner. Will they be vanquished by battle-tested Alex Gordon catching Luiz Arraez line drives down the left field line? Or, more probably, will Gardy come out of retirement to lead the Tigers over the Twins, making shrewd move after shrewd move during the series?

And will the losses count in their streak?
  • Longdistancetwins, Hosken Bombo Disco and mshnd06 like this

#10 wsnydes

wsnydes

Baseball season goes past September?!

• 3,998 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 02 October 2020 - 05:43 AM

I think you would need four teams, not three.

So I propose that Detroit and KC play a play-in game. :)

Worst loser gets gets a 1st round bye!

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this
"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

#11 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 549 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 07:32 AM

Even though the winner of this year's World Series played in Texas will be officially crowned as such, the 2020 MLB season is actually a series of practice games to garner enough TV revenue for MLB to justify the huge bonanza it receives from the networks and other media sources. 2020 is a great season to bow out early and get ready for 2021. The 2021 season is what will really be interesting as there is no certainty that it will be "normal" either. Actually, the word "normal" should be deleted from the English language.

#12 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,893 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 07:49 AM

So annoying, I'm getting tired of the rest of the Central trying to always trying to copy the Twins.

• USAFChief and wsnydes like this

#13 wsnydes

wsnydes

Baseball season goes past September?!

• 3,998 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 02 October 2020 - 08:42 AM

So annoying, I'm getting tired of the rest of the Central trying to always trying to copy the Twins.

With back-to-back division titles, who wouldn't want to follow the Twins example?

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

#14 denarded

denarded

• 233 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 12:27 PM

I think you meant a '2 game series' :)

• USAFChief likes this
Wikipedia is for suckers

#15 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,276 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 03:25 PM

I am a Twins fan like you are, but I am seriously wondering how you can insist we have a much better team than Houston.This is a team that won 107 games last year and won the WS.Look at all the (winning) playoff experience on that team.

Kind of sounds like sour grapes.I think the better team won and that (once again) a lot of Twins fans assumed we were better than we really are.

#16 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,934 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 04:39 PM

Tampa won the Stanley Cup and they are making a legit run at the WS. Over theyears the Lightning have drawn some of the biggest crowds in the NHL during the regular season. The Rays may be the worst team in baseball attendance-wise.Go figure. Those Florida fans like hockey over baseball?

I have been hoping that the Rays move to Montreal. It would be good for baseball to have Montreal back in the big leagues. Only reason attendance tanked over the final 10 years was 1) the 1994 strike 2) telling the fans the team was moving every year thereafter 3) an owner whose only purpose for being there was to move the team 4) a GM who pocketed the excise tax money rather than spend it improving the team.
Montreal is a great baseball town...ever since the AAA Montreal Royals and Jackie Robinson. Tampa has never been a good baseball town...from the inception.
(of note: the Expos drew more fans to their horrible ballpark than the Rays in their horrible ballpark!)

I have MANY Canadian inlaws and totally disagree with this post. Montreal IS NOT a baseball town period. In their 35 year history beginning in 1969 and ending in 2004 they only drew over 2 million fans 4 times, all in the early 80's. Most seasons they finished around 1.5 million fans and that is TERRIBLE. If the Rays must be moved, move them to Nashville or Charlotte. Almost every Canadian i know couldn't give two hoots about baseball. In fact most of them loath it. The Blue Jays are the one exception being in the mega metropolis of Toronto and even they are middle of league (low to mid 2 millions) in attendance in most years.

#17 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 05:02 PM

Not just the AL Central -- the NL Central is also on the verge of postseason extinction.

The Cubs, Reds, and Brewers were all eliminated without winning a single game.

The Cardinals and Padres series is tied at 1-1, with the deciding game starting now...

• Otwins likes this

#18 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,714 posts
  • LocationSilver Bay, Minnesota

Posted 02 October 2020 - 05:29 PM

I can’t believe that I just looked at motel rates for the spring as disgusted as I’ve been with this team.  But rates are low now so I jumped.  Warm weather is good.

• stringer bell likes this

he gone!

#19 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,203 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:09 PM

Much like the Gophers, the Twins would dominate a tournament for losers.

#20 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 08:58 PM

...and the Cardinals lost tonight, so all 7 central division teams that made the postseason were eliminated in the first round.

Only two (CHW & STL) even managed to win a game. Combined record 2-14, and 0-6 at home.

As we know, the Twins scored only 2 runs in their 2 games. The Cubs scored just 1 run across their 2 games; the Reds, zero. (Kind of puts our late season series against those two clubs in context...)

• USAFChief and Otwins like this