Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Need hope for the Twins next year?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

Just look at the Vikings, nobody expected them to even sniff the playoffs, yet a couple key acquisitions and improved play has brought them into the playoffs.

Now I am not saying the Twins will do the same thing, and I am FAR from happy with this current roster, but at the end of the day you never know. (Though it would be nice to get a Marcum type as well)

#2 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

Happy New Year Twins fans

#3 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

The vikings added a legit Left tackle, starting safety, elite kicker, got their top two CBS back from injury/suspension, and two good backup corners. That would be like signing two second tier starters, and 4 more players.....

#4 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Just look at the Vikings, nobody expected them to even sniff the playoffs, yet a couple key acquisitions and improved play has brought them into the playoffs.

Now I am not saying the Twins will do the same thing, and I am FAR from happy with this current roster, but at the end of the day you never know. (Though it would be nice to get a Marcum type as well)

Kalil and Harrison Smith > Correia and Pelfrey

Also Peterson's season is so off the charts that it would be like if Joe Mauer batted .400 with 40 HR.

#5 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

I'm very happy with the Vikings' surprising success. Not sure how it bears any relevance to the Twins. If you're looking for an example to provide hope for next season, go with the Orioles.

#6 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Um, football regularly has significant turnover like we saw this year with the Vikes. Baseball not so much.

#7 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Actually, the Cubs look like they did what the Vikings did....
Lighten up Francis....

#8 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Zygi Wilf and the Vikings put a high price on wining, despite having the second lowest revenue in the league.

Money is the top priority for the Pohlad's.

#9 lyndon

lyndon

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

He's right. You never know. But I think you also have to make your own luck, like say, raising the left and right field fences about 20 feet. That would keep opponent's home runs down and reduce whiplash injuries to our pitchers and fielders. win win. Maybe that'll put us over the top

#10 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,567 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

25 players who strap it on... If the Twins put together 25 players who compete and fight through the down times and keep competing for every pitch... every ground ball... every at bat... It can happen. Will the Twins believe they can do it is the question in my mind.

The Vikings lost one of their top players in Percy Harvin and the team played better. It's not about your team on your paper... It's your team on the field.

If you are good enough to play major league baseball or football... You are good enough to win baseball or football games.

I like the sentiment Vodkadave... More power to ya.

#11 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

25 players who strap it on... If the Twins put together 25 players who compete and fight through the down times and keep competing for every pitch... every ground ball... every at bat... It can happen. Will the Twins believe they can do it is the question in my mind.

The Vikings lost one of their top players in Percy Harvin and the team played better. It's not about your team on your paper... It's your team on the field.

If you are good enough to play major league baseball or football... You are good enough to win baseball or football games.

I like the sentiment Vodkadave... More power to ya.

Except for the fact that the entirety of baseball is one on one matchups where the inferior players will be exposed and overmatched by the superior ones over time. Football can be schemed due to the involvement of 11 players on every play. You can hide Ponder's inefficiencies by running teams ragged with Peterson. If you throw Drew Butera out there to hit .200, you can't hide him every time he has to hit.

#12 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,567 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Except for the fact that the entirety of baseball is one on one matchups where the inferior players will be exposed and overmatched by the superior ones over time. Football can be schemed due to the involvement of 11 players on every play. You can hide Ponder's inefficiencies by running teams ragged with Peterson. If you throw Drew Butera out there to hit .200, you can't hide him every time he has to hit.

Yeah... I agree... but we are still talking about percentages or odds. If the Pitching is Average and the Hitting is average... The Twins can finish anywhere from 1st to 5th because it will come down to the timing of each moment game by game. Even Drew Butera can call the right pitch at the right moment, make a game saving throw or catch and dare I say it... Even Drew Butera can drive in the game winning run.

In 2012... If the Twins won just one more game every ten games... They are a .500 club. With improved pitching... It's not an out of this world hypothesis.

But yeah I agree... I'm not betting anything important on the Twins doing a Vikings thing but its against my nature to believe it can't happen no way no how.

#13 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

It's easy to pee on Dave's enthusiasm by pointing out obvious differences between baseball and football.

But it's New Year's Eve, folks, indulge in a little hope.

Back in August, I can't tell you how many people told me that looking at the schedule, they couldn't see the Vikings doing better than 4-12. It's not just that they weren't picked to make the playoffs, they were supposed to be a bad team in a rebuilding/transition year.

Granted, it's easier to be a surprise team in football than in baseball in many ways. But if some things break the Twins way (while the Tigers stumble), they could be competitive in what is likely to be a very weak division.

#14 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

Orioles and Oakland were not surprise teams. It does happen. Granted for the Twins it would take 2 rookie outfielders stepping up, Ryan to find a MI, and every pitcher that is coming back from injury/surgery to pitch at their peak. Probably not, but hope springs eternal on a cold winter night.