Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Torrii Hunter: Homophobe

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#1 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

I mean, I liked him when he was playing for us. But **** him, what a jack ass, when will he just shut his mouth and realize nobody gives two ****s about his stupid ignorant thoughts?

Personally I hope he ends up hitting as well as Delmon Young for the Tigers. http://sports.yahoo....30197--mlb.html

Edited by SpiritofVodkaDave, 30 December 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Damn.
I have to agree with you (scary)
my last tweet minutes ago:
Posted Image Thrylos 98 ‏@thrylos98 So Torii Hunter in addition to being a had been and a redneck he is a bigot (glad the #MNTwins got rid of him) : http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/torii-hunter-having-openly-gay-teammate-difficult-uncomfortable-003930197--mlb.html …
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

He's a bad teammate if he can't accept everyone for who they are in his dugout. Torii can keep his personal thoughts to himself.

#4 Lesser Dali

Lesser Dali

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

I read the article - It is a shame Mr. Hunter feels that way. You would think with all of the money he has made, that the fire and brimstone of his beliefs would have crumbled away. I guess for some, religion has its place, but this line of thinking is rooted in the dark ages.

It is disappointing

#5 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

I will give credit to the Tigers though, they did get rid of an Anti Semite OF and brought in an old homophobic one.

Change takes time I suppose.

#6 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

Gee bashing a man for his thoughts ....sounds like the mutual admiration society has nothing news worry to debate tonight

#7 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

So sad. Fear is rampant in certain communities though....

#8 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Johnny, some thought are wrong....what if he was white and said he did not want a black on the team, would that be ok?

#9 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Gee bashing a man for his thoughts ....sounds like the mutual admiration society has nothing news worry to debate tonight

Considering all the stones you have thrown ...

#10 Scheherezade

Scheherezade

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Taken down. Anyone have another link or screencap?

#11 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

In a discussion about the number of black players in the Major Leagues, Hunter said during a USA Today-hosted committee to improve baseball panel that black Latinos do not count. "People see dark faces out there, and the perception is that they're African-American. They're not us. They're impostors. Even people I know come up and say: 'Hey, what color is Vladimir Guerrero? Is he a black player?' I say, 'Come on, he's Dominican. He's not black.' ... As African-American players, we have a theory that baseball can go get an imitator and pass them off as us. It's like they had to get some kind of dark faces, so they go to the Dominican or Venezuela because you can get them cheaper. It's like, 'Why should I get this kid from the South Side of Chicago and have Scott Boras represent him and pay him $5 million when you can get a Dominican guy for a bag of chips?' ... I'm telling you, it's sad."

Not exactly Hunters first umm..ill advised bigoted public comment...

#12 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Taken down. Anyone have another link or screencap?

Sorry, relinked it.

#13 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

Tigers keeping it classy. Looking forward to another nyc dust-up involving a despicable Tigers outfielder

#14 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

Johnny, some thought are wrong....what if he was white and said he did not want a black on the team, would that be ok?

so if you were on a team and your closer finshed taking a shower and came walking out wear bra and pantys and grab your butt that would be ok? no im not a homophob... but if a man has a problem because of his religous upbringing then you sit him down and show him from the bible that we are all gods children...you ask him what would jesus do? if this fails and it becomes a problem then you trade or release 1 of players.the fact that Tori is running his mouth again ,shouldnt affect us, if you dont like what he says , dont resd his tweets

#15 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Oh so he is a general manager of the team? "{)

#16 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

so if you were on a team and your closer finshed taking a shower and came walking out wear bra and pantys and grab your butt that would be ok? no im not a homophob... but if a man has a problem because of his religous upbringing then you sit him down and show him from the bible that we are all gods children...you ask him what would jesus do? if this fails and it becomes a problem then you trade or release 1 of players.the fact that Tori is running his mouth again ,shouldnt affect us, if you dont like what he says , dont resd his tweets

There's a time and place for your devil's advocate routine, this isn't it. Homosexuals should not have to endure discrimination and hatred of this kind and turning a blind eye to it because it doesn't directly affect you is ignorant and wrong.

Guys like Hunter are a special kind of ignoramus, using their undeserved celebrity to trumpet their ridiculous and uneducated beliefs, thinking that any intelligent human being actually cares what they think.

#17 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

Quick, everyone run over each other to show, rather --anonymously write -- how tolerant you are.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#18 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

Brain washed and egotistic. Hunter's never been given a reason to question the BS that was fed to him as a child (as so many athletes equate their success with God's will). Not a good recipe for decency.

#19 Tuba

Tuba

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

I hate to break this to you but this is how most professional athletes feel.

#20 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

I mean, I liked him when he was playing for us. But **** him, what a jack ass, when will he just shut his mouth and realize nobody gives two ****s about his stupid ignorant thoughts?

Personally I hope he ends up hitting as well as Delmon Young for the Tigers. Torii Hunter: Having an openly gay teammate would ?be difficult and uncomfortable? | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports

It is wrong for Hunter to feel uncomfortable with somebody who disagrees with his viewpoint but it is ok for you to insult somebody who disagrees with yours?

Frankly, I disagree with his view point and I still think your statements are worse than his.

#21 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:57 AM

I hate to break this to you but this is how most professional athletes feel.

Did you actually read the article. Thats the whole point. In a society where homosexuals are becoming more accepted, professional sports is one area where gays are hardly welcome.

#22 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:38 AM

I'm not sure what's worse, Hunter being a douchebag homophobe, or the people defending him.

#23 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

Yes this is a fairly common attitude in professional sports and Hunter is certainly not alone. I have a hard time believing, however, that pro athletes are much worse in this regard than any other group of people who have strong "religious" upbringings and no real reason to care about changing their attitudes about things (stuck on sports autopilot starting from an early age, then come into a lot of money, etc.).

#24 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

I'm not sure what's worse, Hunter being a douchebag homophobe, or the people defending him.

Standard "right to his opinion" fare. Total garbage.

#25 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

Society is turning the corner very slowly. We proved that in MN a few months ago by voting down the amendment to outlaw gay marriage and amen to that. I do not agree with him at all and still I will not expect everybody to automatically be on board. His comments on this issue did seem fairly mild to me and they seem like an opportunity. To blast him and call him a bigot vs. calmly pointing out why his comments hold no water seems counterproductive. A largely emotional response might be the bigger enemy.

#26 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

Well he is a bigot, sorry if that hurts some of your sensible feelings or whatever. But if it quacks like a duck, etc etc

#27 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Standard "right to his opinion" fare. Total garbage.

Well....it is America. He does have a right to be a douchebag. And you have a right to call him a douchebag for it. That isn't a defense of Torii....it's the truth. Nothing garbage about it. I completely disagree with his ignorant opinion, but he has a right to have it. Just like you do yours.

#28 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

Hunter's opinion on this is not unpopular.

#29 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Nishioka > Hunter

#30 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

Ultima... My name is Mike Sixel...there, not anonymous.