Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

GAME THREAD: 9/30/20 Minnesota Twins VS Houston Astros, 12:08 CDT

• Please log in to reply
1044 replies to this topic

#1 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

Official Bat Boy

• 3,655 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:43 AM

Alright Twins fans, we already know what has happened in the past. 17 losses in a row, and it feels like even more somehow. The longest losing streak in all of North America for playoff losing streaks. My only wish is that I would've been betting on these games, and rolling over the winnings. However, today, the Twins have a chance to change that. Jose Berrios takes the bump, and a rookie makes his first ever start in the postseason. Buckle up, if today is like yesterday, it's going to be one hell of a ride where everyone ends up puking at the end.

The Pitchers - RHP Jose Berrios (5-4, 4.00 ERA, 68 K's, 63 IP) vs RHP Jose Urquidy (1-1, 2.73 ERA, 17 K's, 29.2 IP)

The Twins turn to Jose Berrios, who unsurprisingly, everyone on the ESPN family of networks thought was the Twins best pitcher this season. The thing is, he was far from it, and we saw why yesterday. King Kenta tightroped out of situations a few times, doing exactly what a pitcher in the postseason needs to do. Berrios is going to have to pitch one of the better games of his career, as he has never made it into the 5th inning during a postseason game. As for the Astros, they turn to a right hander who still qualifies as a rookie. Urquidy isn't going to dominate Twins hitters with anything, as he only records 5.2 K/9. If you take a look at the ERA, it looks solid. However, the underlying numbers don't back that up at all, as he has a FIP north of 4.70. 

Lineups

Twins

2B Luis Arraez L
CF Max Kepler L
DH Nelson Cruz R
LF E. Rosario L
1B Miguel Sano R
RF A. Kirilloff L
SS J. Polanco S
3B M. Gonzalez S
C Ryan Jeffers R

Astros

CF G. Springer R

2B Jose Altuve R
DH M. Brantley L
3B Alex Bregman R
LF Kyle Tucker L
1B Yuli Gurriel R
SS C. Correa R
RF Josh Reddick L
C M. Maldonado R

The Twins choose to switch some things up a bit, and the first thing you notice is that Byron Buxton is not in the lineup. That is obviously not good news, and nothing official has come out yet, but there are reports on the Twins beat that Buxton is 'not feeling well.' That is not great news for the most valuable player in the Twins lineup, one that is already missing JD. Instead of starting Jake Cave, who has a nice OPS of .870 this month, the club makes an aggressive move and starts Alex Kiriloff, a corner outfielder who just got promoted yesterday. I'm not going to rag on this move because we know what Jake Cave is, and Kiriloff has a higher ceiling, but it is interesting to see them make that decision. Jeffers gets another start behind the plate which is good, but I am sure he will only see 2 at bats for some odd reason. Houston chooses to go with the same lineup that won them the game in game 1. 

This Day In History - 2004: Thanks to Bernie Williams's ninth-inning two-run homer, the Yankees beat the Twins, 6-4, to clinch their seventh straight American League East Division title. It is also their 100th victory of the season, making the club only the fourth team in history (Braves 1997-99; Orioles 1969-71; A's 1929-31) to have three consecutive 100-win seasons.

Pick to Click - Kepler goes boom for a 2 run shot in the first

Go Twins!!!

• USAFChief, Jerr, nicksaviking and 5 others like this

Career Game Thread Record: 23-9

Safe to say I am the key to the Twins' success 

#2 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

Official Bat Boy

• 3,655 posts

Oh, also this game is on ESPN 2 for those wondering

Career Game Thread Record: 23-9

Safe to say I am the key to the Twins' success 

#3 TouchEmAllGuy

TouchEmAllGuy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 151 posts

Go Twins!

• Jerr and FlauerPauer like this

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Pitch(er) Mix: Tequila, Orange Liqueur, Lime Juice

• 13,816 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:53 AM

Might as well see this thing out... Go Twins!

49EFFA38-A345-450B-A4B0-DB87D8C3FF0E.png
  • USAFChief, Craig Arko, Aggies7 and 4 others like this

#5 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

abstract

• 9,999 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:54 AM

Note to self:

Switch the calendar at the end of the month.
  • Jerr, IndianaTwin and Joey Self like this

#6 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 12,273 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:00 AM

hard not to assume buxton's absence isn't related to the HBP the other day. 

#7 dex8425

dex8425

Ft Myers Miracle

• 345 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:02 AM

Hey, it's August again?!

#8 Jerr

Jerr

• 2,789 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:15 AM

PAHLEEZE don't make it 18 today, PAHLEEZE!!!

• wabene likes this
And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

#9 twinbythebay

twinbythebay

Ft Myers Miracle

• 256 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:15 AM

hard not to assume buxton's absence isn't related to the HBP the other day. 

It has to be. If he was actually healthy enough to play, sitting him in the playoffs would be severe managerial malpractice, IMO.

• Jerr likes this

#10 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 731 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:20 AM

Wow, no Buxton. 

Also starting a rookie that has never even seen a major league pitch. I don't know what to say. I will say though that so far, Rocco has shown to be a terrible postseason manager thus far. 

• Jerr and TouchEmAllGuy like this

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,893 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:22 AM

Note to self:

Switch the calendar at the end of the month.

Based yesterday's game, that will be about the 6th inning.

• Dave The Dastardly likes this

#12 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,794 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:28 AM

Uh... I have always been a big supporter of playing rookies, but giving Kiriloff his first start in a playoff game? I don't think that's a good move. I get that this lineup needs a kick in the pants desperately, but I'd much rather have Buxton out there. I could sympathize with the move if Alex had been given some ABs over the past few weeks and looked good (like Rooker, perhaps). I don't see this move panning out, but I'm hoping we can see some life out of Kiriloff's bat.

• Jerr likes this

#13 twinbythebay

twinbythebay

Ft Myers Miracle

• 256 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:31 AM

Wow, no Buxton. 

Also starting a rookie that has never even seen a major league pitch. I don't know what to say. I will say though that so far, Rocco has shown to be a terrible postseason manager thus far. 

Maybe it'll turn out to be a stroke of genius!

But seriously, I'm surprised by the move as well. I hope Kirilloff makes us look like idiots for doubting the move, but given the Twins' inability to have nice things in the playoffs, my confidence is low.

• Jerr likes this

#14 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 731 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:32 AM

Uh... I have always been a big supporter of playing rookies, but giving Kiriloff his first start in a playoff game? I don't think that's a good move. I get that this lineup needs a kick in the pants desperately, but I'd much rather have Buxton out there. I could sympathize with the move if Alex had been given some ABs over the past few weeks and looked good (like Rooker, perhaps). I don't see this move panning out, but I'm hoping we can see some life out of Kiriloff's bat.

Buxton has to be hurt though, right? If not, I REALLY, REALLY don't understand this decision. He is supposed to be one of, if not the best player on this team and he isn't starting a playoff game?

• Danchat likes this

#15 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,794 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:32 AM

Berrios is going to have to pitch one of the better games of his career, as he has never made it into the 5th inning during a postseason game.

That is true, but in the 2017 Wild Card game, Berrios did pitch the 3rd - 5th and gave up 5 runs. So he has pitched in the 5th inning before... but that's not exactly a postive thing.

#16 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,794 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:34 AM

Also worth noting: 

• Jerr, spycake and twinbythebay like this

#17 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,792 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:41 AM

Twins fans get to see at least 1 game of Rosario's 2021 replacement before he replaces him

• operation mindcrime likes this

#18 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 12,273 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:41 AM

It's probably concussion-related side affects. It would be one thing it was a minor muscle tweak, but he was hit in the head with a baseball. Brain injuries are nothing to scoff at IMO.

kinda funny though that he played yesterday. the HBP was last friday, was he not 100% yesterday too? I admittedly know zilch about brain injuries but I would find it hard to believe he developed concussion symptoms today that he didn't have yesterday (I assume he didnt have them since he was cleared to play)

• Jerr likes this

#19 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 12,273 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:42 AM

Twins fans get to see at least 1 game of Rosario's 2021 replacement before he replaces him

not running OOB yesterday in the 9th inning might have been the bow on his going away present

• operation mindcrime likes this

#20 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 731 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:43 AM

Yes, if it is concussion related, then you are right. 

I also happen to think that Donaldson's injury is a serious one. How many times over the years have the Twins come out and said how such and such an injury wasn't serious and then a month later the player is scheduled for Tommy John?

I just don't see Donaldson sitting out over a bruise a strained muscle.