Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Notebook 9/30: Rebound or Retire

minnesota twins jose berrios houston astros jose urquidy
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 jdoffing11

jdoffing11

Elizabethton Twins

• 45 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:03 AM

I do think our chances are much improved today. They used their best starters and they only have one good bullpen arm. We just need to get to their starter early, then have a lead late, so we don't see their closer.

Lance McCullers and Christian Javier are both available today. Even if Uriquidy gets bounced early, I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing as yesterday where one of them comes out of the pen and throws a few innings. That was obviously their plan ahead of time, keeping 5 starters on the roster for a 3 game series, and it worked to perfection yesterday. 

#22 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 27,062 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:05 AM

Apparently Buxton came in not feeling well.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#23 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 27,062 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:06 AM

Jake Cave has to be feeling a bit ... what? Embarrassed? Angry?

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#24 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,858 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:10 AM

Clicking ‘Open for New Opportunities’ on his LinkedIn profile, I would imagine.
  • USAFChief likes this

#25 spycake

spycake

• 18,401 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:13 AM

I'm guessing the thought process is, it's safer to start Kirilloff and replace him with Cave if you need to, rather than the opposite.

#26 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,949 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:31 AM

Well, with Buxton and Donaldson both out and Berrios wound tighter than a spring....I think the guys would be safe scheduling tee times starting tomorrow.

The already routine incompetence of this FO to field competitive playoff teams is getting tiresome. I’ve heard enough excuses. If they can’t find the players to get it done, find someone who can.

#27 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,041 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:37 AM

Apparently Buxton came in not feeling well.

Alternate phrasing, "seeing cross-eyed from the migraines." He's always been vulnerable to pitch-recognition issues, but yesterday's game (after an early good PA) suggested he might have been becoming an actual danger to himself standing in at the plate.

I am rarely one to challenge a player's courage, and today is not such a day.

• spycake likes this

Build tunnels. Nobody burns their tunnels behind them.

#28 Joey Self

Joey Self

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 51 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:37 AM

Yesterday's game was one of the worst played, worst executed games of the year...maybe THE worst.Our hitters didn't hit; our bullpen didn't shut the door..our 'd' let us down at the very worst time of the game. A routine toss to 2nd in the 9th would have gotten us to the bottom of the 9th still tied.

Byron Buxton, mired in a batting slump that has seen him swing at most pitches outside the zone did not utilize his speed to bunt over runners at 1st and 2nd and instead stuck out looking bad doing it.

Garver, pinch hits for Jeffers and never takes the bat off his shoulders....Garver's season has been one complete epic fail.

Houston removes their ace after 4 and replaces him with another lefty ace...and he pitches the rest of the game. One wonders if Jake O should have come in after Maeda...to give our gassed bullpen a bit of a break.

While Polanco's error was death dealing (he isn't hitting and now he also blows a game deciding play) Romo couldn't throw strikes to an equally struggling Altuve. 

I agree with a lot of this.I'm not a fan of the bunt, but 1st and 2nd with no one out is THE time to do it, especially with Buxton's speed.  

Garver just doesn't have it this year.Was last year lightning in a bottle, or will he come back strong in '21?Don't know, but I do know what I'm seeing this year didn't warrant pulling Jeffers at that point--or at any point. 

As for bringing in Odorizzi, I have to defer to Wes Johnson on that--he has seen him in the bullpen and maybe on the mound at St. Paul.Any time the one on the mound doesn't do well, it's natural to think someone else would.But the way the Astros used their reliever was what I wanted to see the Twins do--May was throwing well, leave him in and don't worry about tomorrow.He could be back for game 3 if needed. 

I disagree that it was a "game deciding" play by Polanco.There's no reason to think the Twins would have scored in the bottom of the 9th, given they didn't; yeah, maybe playing for one run would have worked, but that's not the smart play. 

JcS

#29 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 441 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 11:08 AM

Twins give up a ton of 'd' without Buxton...even tho he isn't hitting right now.Hope this decision doesn't come back to haunt.

#30 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 441 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 11:14 AM

'overworked bullpen' is definitely subjective...but I believe that having these guys constantly up and warming seemingly every game puts extra wear on the arms. then they come in and give up a couple hits, walks and a run or two in key spots. Since Twins starters aren't going deep into games, the pen is always on the alert.

Look, anyone can disagree with this, or not. It doesn't matter. The proof is in the execution. Are they getting it done? Is the manager using them properly? thats what he gets paid to do. I'm just a fan, so as an armchair manager I would say....please don't use Romo anymore. No more.

OK back to business. Jose had a very good 1st inning. thats a good sign.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, jose berrios, houston astros, jose urquidy