Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2020 MLB (non-Twins) Postseason Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#141 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,426 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 25 October 2020 - 05:06 PM

I watched very little of the game but I did see the last play and I thought exactly the same thing as the other recent posters regarding Phillips. If Arozarena wound up at third there was an advantage for Phillips to be at second base rather than first, specifically that it eliminates a force at second. But as soon as he reached second base he should have stood on the base until the inning was over. (Unless the next batter walked or hit a home run.) There wouldn't have been any reason for him to even take a lead in a tie game in the bottom of the ninth with a runner on third.

This reminds me of a story an acquaintance told me. He had done some high school girls softball umpiring, and this apparently happened in a game to determine a birth in the Wisconsin state tournament some years ago. Last inning, home team down by one run, runner on third, two outs. The batter hits a home run. The runner on third base, in her joy and celebration, does not touch home. The girl who hit the home run circles the bases and touches home. The coach of the visiting team points this out to the umpire, who correctly rules that the batter is out for passing the runner. That becomes the third out and no run scores. The visiting team wins the game and goes to state.

#142 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 05:52 PM

Kershaw vs Glasnow rematch, starting shortly tonight in game 5.

#143 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,794 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 06:28 PM

Glasnow didn't look good in Game 1 and doesn't look good here. Tampa is in trouble...

#144 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted Today, 09:08 AM

Tuesday Oct. 27

Potentially the last day of baseball for 2020. :(

Go Rays!

7:08 pm CDT

World Series Game 6

Tampa Bay Rays at Los Angeles Dodgers (Dodgers lead series 3-2)

Blake Snell vs Tony Gonsolin

TV: FOX