Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2020 MLB (non-Twins) Postseason Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#81 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• 242 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:20 PM

I think the 3 batter minimum applies to starting pitchers too:

"The starting pitcher or any substitute pitcher is required to pitch to a minimum of three consecutive batters"

https://baseballrule...s-to-the-mound/

I would have thought it didn't apply if the starter hadn't taken the field yet, but hmmm, maybe. Would it apply to the starter just because he was on the lineup card?

#82 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:48 PM

I would have thought it didn't apply if the starter hadn't taken the field yet, but hmmm, maybe. Would it apply to the starter just because he was on the lineup card?

Yup. It's not a new rule either, it's just been extended to 3. The old rule was that a pitcher had to face 1 batter, even starting pitchers:

https://sports.stack...nge.com/a/13989

• whosafraidofluigirussolo likes this

#83 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• 242 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:51 PM

Yup. It's not a new rule either, it's just been extended to 3. The old rule was that a pitcher had to face 1 batter, even starting pitchers:

https://sports.stack...nge.com/a/13989

Thanks! I'm not surprised I didn't know that but I'm a little surprised MLB's official site ran an article whose whole premise was ignoring that rule.

#84 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 02:17 PM

Thanks! I'm not surprised I didn't know that but I'm a little surprised MLB's official site ran an article whose whole premise was ignoring that rule.

If you have the link, I'd be interested to see that article.

#85 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 03:20 PM

Friday, October 16

Likely our last day of multiple baseball games this year, unless both Houston and Los Angeles win tonight.

5:07 pm CDT

ALCS Game 6

HOU at TB (TB leads 3-2)

Framber Valdez vs Blake Snell

TV: TBS

8:08 pm CDT

NLCS Game 5

LAD at ATL (ATL leads 3-1)

Dustin May vs AJ Minter

TV: FS1

#86 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,795 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:13 PM

The Astros have jumped out to a 4-1 lead... I thought the Rays would be fine, but I have to wonder if Houston has what it takes to pull off the massive upset after being down 3-0.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#87 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,592 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:15 PM

I’m really disappointed Cash pulled Snell. Sorry but no, the game is not “on the line” in the top of the 5th.

So here’s the memo if you didn’t get the first one. Stop pulling your best pitchers out of the game before it’s necessary. Particularly if it’s before or after a proclaimed “bullpen” game.

cc: Rocco Baldelli, Derek Falvey, Thad Levine
  • h2oface and notoriousgod71 like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#88 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,592 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:17 PM

The Astros have jumped out to a 4-1 lead... I thought the Rays would be fine, but I have to wonder if Houston has what it takes to pull off the massive upset after being down 3-0.

I think they do have what it takes. They have something to prove after the scandal came to light. I think as of this moment they are in the drivers seat now.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#89 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 5,196 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:53 PM

That shift against Springer killed Tampa that inning. Classic. In special times the percentages don't work. Baker went against the "new book" and left Greinke in the other night.... went with his money pitcher, his cy young pitcher..... and it started this three game run. 

How ironic would it be for the cheatin ass-tros to get into the world series? the cheaters Manfred didn't punish. I bet they have learned their lesson, eh? Didn't even have to get booed at empty stadiums all season, and they could be rewarded with a trip to the World Series after not even having to accomplish a .500 record in the regular season.

#90 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• 242 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:50 PM

If you have the link, I'd be interested to see that article.

It's here:

https://www.mlb.com/...or-rest-of-nlcs

BUT! there's been an amendment:

"Note: In the original version of this column, I suggested Urías be pulled before throwing a pitch, mistakenly assuming the three-batter minimum would not apply if he had not yet taken the mound. However, because Urías was on the lineup card, he was required to face three batters. The column has been updated accordingly.)"

• spycake likes this

#91 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:38 AM

I’m really disappointed Cash pulled Snell. Sorry but no, the game is not “on the line” in the top of the 5th.

I hear you, although Snell had been shaky -- 82 pitches and 4 walks in 4 innings. I was nervous about letting him face the top of the lineup a third time with 2 runners on base. And Diego Castillo had been fantastic in the postseason up until that point, and had two full days of rest -- it's not a bad spot to leverage him at all.

And to be clear: pulling Snell there didn't automatically mean they had to rely on a rookie like McClanahan to pitch the 6th and 7th innings and put the game further out of reach. They only turned to McClanahan after Castillo uncharacteristically allowed 4 runs to score. If Castillo isn't quite so ineffective, they have a good enough pen to keep the game closer if they want to. But once Castillo gave up 4, they decided to save those bullets for game 7.

#92 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:38 AM

Friday, October 16

Likely our last day of multiple baseball games this year, unless both Houston and Los Angeles win tonight.

Well, I was wrong here too! :)

#93 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:41 AM

This might make me a bad person, but I might also be an Astros fan for the next few days too, to make the ALCS a little more interesting with the Rays up 3-0.

And I now regret typing this!

Feel free to blame me for the Astros comeback, I am officially a bad person.

• ashbury, USAFChief and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#94 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:05 AM

Saturday Oct. 17

Okay, THIS is the last day with multiple baseball games this year. I guarantee it!

Four real starting pitchers going today, all on full rest.

3:38 pm CDT
NLCS Game 6
ATL at LAD (ATL leads 3-2)
Max Fried vs Walker Buehler
TV: FS1

7:37 pm CDT
ALCS Game 7
HOU at TB (series tied 3-3)
Lance McCullers Jr. vs Charlie Morton
TV: TBS

#95 Sielk

Sielk

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 177 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:43 AM

This might make me a bad person, but I might also be an Astros fan for the next few days too, to make the ALCS a little more interesting with the Rays up 3-0.

I bet you didn't want it THAT interesting... ;)

On the other hand, wouldn't it be nice if the cheaters got their hopes up only to have them crushed in G7? Go Rays!
  • spycake likes this

#96 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:17 PM

I bet you didn't want it THAT interesting... ;)

On the other hand, wouldn't it be nice if the cheaters got their hopes up only to have them crushed in G7? Go Rays!

I like the cut of your jib.

I think I was cheering for the Rays again by game 5, that was interesting enough for me. :)
  • Sielk likes this

#97 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,795 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:30 PM

Rays win it in 7! I'm sure some were triggered when Morton was pulled in the 6th at just 66 pitches. 

• USAFChief likes this

#98 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,592 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:10 AM

Rays win it in 7! I'm sure some were triggered when Morton was pulled in the 6th at just 66 pitches.

I assume you are referring to me since I complained about Snell being pulled last night, and yes I was a little put off by Morton coming out of the game. Morton was in absolute control and Anderson almost pissed it away in the 7th, but he didn’t, and results are what matter (to me, anyway). I’m glad the Rays did it. It’s a win for the analytics guys and also for the fans.
- J. L. Borges

#99 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:34 PM

Sunday October 18

7:15 pm CDT

NLCS Game 7

ATL at LAD (series tied 3-3)

Ian Anderson vs Dustin May

TV: FOX (and FS1, apparently)

#100 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:41 PM

Should be interesting to see the Dodgers pitching strategy. Dustin May is starting, but he's had only one 1 day of rest since throwing 2 innings as the game 5 starter, so he's probably getting pulled very early.

The bulk of the innings could go to Gonsolin, Urias, or even Kershaw (he's on 2 days rest).

Their top relievers (Jansen, Baez, and Treinen) have all pitched two games in a row, so I wouldn't expect them to pitch very long, but could make an appearance.