Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2020 MLB (non-Twins) Postseason Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 spycake

spycake

• 18,361 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 04:42 PM

Feel free to chime in here about any of the (non-Twins) 2020 MLB postseason games!

#2 spycake

spycake

• 18,361 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 04:45 PM

I'll go first: why the (*%#(*& isn't Hyun-Jin Ryu starting the first game for the Blue Jays?

https://torontosun.c...n-ryu-in-game-1

Montoyo said there are several reasons why they aren’t starting their ace in the opener of a series in which they only need two wins. Then he really didn’t explain any of them.

#3 spycake

spycake

• 18,361 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 05:48 PM

The non-Ryu Jays starters (apparently Shoemaker and Ray in tandem) actually did pretty well, although they gave up a triple that scored on a wild pitch in the 4th.

Former (almost?) Twin Nick Anderson came on, leading 1-0 with 2 runners on and 1 out in the 7th and escaped the game. Still pitching, Rays now up 3-0 in the 8th.

#4 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,796 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 06:39 PM

The Yankees have already put up 5 on Bieber... despite the Bieber-Cole matchup, there's already been 7 runs scored. 

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,898 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:49 AM

Ugh, so many teams in the post season this year so I thought I'd be more interested than many years, but aside from the Twins I don't really want to see anyone win it all. I basically have two (very shallow) rules when it comes to cheering for sports teams that aren't my local team. I don't want teams I don't like to win (obviously), and I don't want teams that have longer championship droughts to win one before my team does (because I'm jealous and petty).

So I hate the other AL Central teams, plus the Yankees and the Astros; they're out. The A's have a longer WS drought than the Twins, and while the Rays have only been around since 1998, screw them, they don't get to win one before the Twins win their next one. I guess that leaves Toronto as a rather blah, AL team to follow.

In the NL, LA, SD, Mil and Cin have longer WS droughts so they can all pack it up and go home. Meanwhile, I really dislike Atlanta and the Cubs so they better not win. I guess I can tolerate Miami and St Louis? 

Ish.

#6 spycake

spycake

• 18,361 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:56 PM

I actually just like competitive postseason baseball, no matter the teams — although a good underdog story is a nice bonus!

(In that sense, the annual Twins elimination is often a relief! It is usually among the least competitive series, sadly.)
  • Longdistancetwins likes this

#7 spycake

spycake

• 18,361 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:59 PM

Tuned in tonight just in time to see Cleveland blow a 4-0 lead, now 5-4 Yankees in the 4th inning.

Could the third place, road team White Sox last the longest of the AL Central teams in the playoffs?
  • Danchat likes this

#8 spycake

spycake

• 18,361 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:03 PM

I'll go first: why the (*%#(*& isn't Hyun-Jin Ryu starting the first game for the Blue Jays?

Well, Ryu got rocked in game 2 as Toronto was eliminated today, so what do I know...
  • ashbury likes this

#9 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,796 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:03 PM

Weird how the White Sox and Yankees finished the year so poorly, yet have played rather well so far in the postseason. *insert joke about the Twins here*

#10 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,595 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:16 PM

Ryan Pressly
Brandon Kintzler
Nick Anderson

all pitched scoreless 9th innings today in their team’s win
  • ashbury, Danchat and Longdistancetwins like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#11 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,595 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:40 PM

Shot: Pressly, Kintzler, Nick Anderson

Chaser: Tampa Bay’s bullpen this round
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#12 spycake

spycake

• 18,361 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:54 PM

Shot: Pressly, Kintzler, Nick Anderson

Chaser: Tampa Bay’s bullpen this round

None of the other former Twins in Tampa’s pen (Curtiss, Drake, and Slegers) made an appearance this series, although they didn’t have that much opportunity — Snell pitched 5.2 and Glasnow 6 innings.

#13 spycake

spycake

• 18,361 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:58 PM

Cleveland showed some life — Ramirez knocked home 2 to tie at 6, but then Gary Sanchez (.147 AVG this year) hit a wind-aided 2 run shot to put the Yankees back up, 8-6.

#14 spycake

spycake

• 18,361 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:03 PM

Brewers starter Suter walked 5 in 1.2 innings, Brewers down early 3-0 to the Dodgers.

I know everyone says that even a bad team can beat a great one sometimes in a best-of-3 but I don’t see it happening here.

#15 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,796 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:05 PM

This Yankees-Indians game is getting quite exciting. Go Indians!

#16 spycake

spycake

• 18,361 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 11:37 AM

This Yankees-Indians game is getting quite exciting. Go Indians!

Yeah, I listened to that one late. Too bad Cleveland couldn't at least force a game 3.

• Danchat likes this

#17 spycake

spycake

• 18,361 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 11:42 AM

Marlins-Cubs postponed today, so we're guaranteed at least one game on Friday! And it will be Sixto Sanchez vs Yu Darvish, so that should be good.

Otherwise, the Thursday slate has four games, all on ESPN:

11 AM (CDT) CIN-ATL

2 PM CHW-OAK

6 PM STL-SDP

9 PM MIL-LAD

The 2 PM game is the win-or-go-home White Sox - Oakland matchup. Dane Dunning vs Mike Fiers. White Sox are all we have left representing the AL Central...

#18 spycake

spycake

• 18,361 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 01:41 PM

And it worked! (So far)

#19 spycake

spycake

• 18,361 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 03:01 PM

Crochet left the game after a few slower-than-average (for him) fastballs.

Eloy Jimenez left the game too, after running out a base hit.

Sox led 3-0 at that point, down to 3-2 after an Oakland 2 run HR.

Carlos Rodon in to pitch now, in the bottom of the 4th...

#20 spycake

spycake

• 18,361 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 03:29 PM

Rodon loaded the bases with 2 walks, and reliever Foster walked in TWO runs. ChiSox now trail 4-3, and have used 6 pitchers to get through the first 4 innings.

Oakland is on their 3rd pitcher, but it's starter Frankie Montas so maybe he can give them some length.