Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Want to know the most infuriating thing about this 17 game streak crap?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,013 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 04:19 PM

It just occurred to me, having watched every one of these 17 atrocities called baseball games, that the Twins almost always started stronger than the other team.

17 losses, 11 times the Twins scored first.

I'm so effing sick of this team. I'm so effing sick of watching them jump ahead and then lay down to die.

• Jerr, howeda7, Twins33 and 6 others like this

#2 flpmagikat

flpmagikat

• 117 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 04:26 PM

It just occurred to me, having watched every one of these 17 atrocities called baseball games, that the Twins almost always started stronger than the other team.

I'm so effing sick of this team. I'm so effing sick of watching them jump ahead and then lay down to die.

I was thinking something similar in the first inning, when they loaded the bases. It seems every year they make the post season, it all starts so promisingly. It really makes you think they might just win one(game, sadly.) And every time, this. Or some version, whether its a torii hunter diving misplay, a polanco garbage throw, a romo walk. Lots to choose from this game really. 

• Twins33 and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#3 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,741 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 04:29 PM

At least it's going to be quick and relatively painless this year. I'm guessing they get smoked tomorrow, they have zero fire.

• jun likes this

#4 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 730 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 29 September 2020 - 05:34 PM

Yeah but they all swing really hard!!!

I did like the automatic strike caller. The home plate ump missed a ton of calls.

#5 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• 9,692 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 29 September 2020 - 05:57 PM

Baseball is a game where a vastly inferior team often wins. A game where a one tenth of an inch adjustment in the bat angle to the ball can mean the difference between a hit and an out. A game where a bad umpire or a lucky bounce can determine the outcome. 

I believe that most team sports share some of these frustrating features, but none more than baseball.

Yes, there is plenty of blame to be allocated -- bad managerial decisions, failure to augment the bullpen before the trade deadline, etc.But I don't think that all 17 playoff losses were atrocities and I do believe that this is an anomaly that will be corrected over the (very) long run.And with respect to today's game, I would give the Astros some credit for playing well.

Maybe tomorrow will break the streak. If not, then at least the players got some playoff experience and there is always next year. 

#6 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,503 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:14 PM

I understand. We're all here for you. Keep calm and carry on. 

#7 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

abstract

• 9,999 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:31 PM

Stiff upper lip and all.

I don't suppose we can make up for it by winning 17 in a row now, can we?

• Puckett34, nicksaviking, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

#8 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,203 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:41 PM

i have zero faith in Berrios not the %^^ the bed tomorrow. At least it'll be quick.

#9 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,592 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:06 PM

Stiff upper lip and all.

I don't suppose we can make up for it by winning 17 in a row now, can we?

That’ll get us into the ALCS next year :)
  • ashbury and spycake like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#10 RIP BYTO

RIP BYTO

• 53 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:59 PM

Things that frustrated me:
1. watching these guys swing at almost every curveball they saw.
2. Polancos lazy defense in the 9th.
3. Pulling Maeda too soon.
4. Romo.....been trash ever since Cleveland got under his skin.
5. 17 straight.
6. As much as I like Cruz, he’s been underwhelming. Starting to play his age.
7. Sano had a good week or so run but for the most part is a big disappointment.
8. Donaldson even when healthy is a non factor.

#11 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 12,273 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:21 PM

There is no such thing as a sports curse, but there is definitely such a thing as wilting under pressure in sports. The games usually start off well because the pressure is relatively low. Then, as the missed opportunities begin to mount, so does the pressure. 5 men LOB in the first and 5th inning, could have put it away right there. Then the polanco throw..although it honestly looked like he was too laissez faire than anything. The better team doesn’t always win in baseball. 17 straight losses is incomprehensible to me. You’d luck yourself into at least one.

#12 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 549 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:40 AM

No question when Rosario smoked one right at the 'Stros first baseman with the sacks loaded and then Sano was out by a fraction on the slow roller, Greinke was off the hook and, as it turned out, the game was over for the Twins' offense except for the 1 run which is never enough. Sano must weigh 300 lbs, by the way. Oh well, play today and see what happens. I do think if Twins win today, they will win tomorrow. Just loosen up, play, and see what happens.

#13 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,893 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:00 AM

The only common denominator with the players at this point in the streak and the players active at the beginning of the streak is the environment. If this happens in New York or Philadelphia or Boston it would be non-stop hounding by two dozen media sources with demeaning headlines and photos, and fans ready to run everyone out of town.

I'm not ready to run everyone out of town, but Minnesota is much more forgiving. I didn't see the press conference yesterday, anyone ask Baldelli any tough questions? Or were the questions more consoling and commiserating than they were feisty and pointed?

#14 LVTwinsfan

LVTwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,468 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:05 AM

The Twins win today, period
  • Puckett34 and BeatTheRich like this

You know horses are smarter than people. You never heard of a horse going broke betting on people.  - Will Rogers

#15 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 438 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:07 AM

Waiting till next year is getting old. (and for some franchises, there was no next year at all....Expos....)

I am trying to imagine (with a big smirk) what that post game interview would have sounded like if it was John Tortorella on the podium instead of Rocco!!) :lol:

If Berrios can't get it done early...Rocco had better dip into his 'starters', like Houston did...his pen is gassed and they aren't doing the job. There is no margin for error, not even one run anymore. Romo can't throw strikes...please forget about him completely and usher him out of the door as soon as this season ends....which we hope isn't this afternoon.

• labcrazy likes this

#16 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 731 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:22 AM

Things that frustrated me:
1. watching these guys swing at almost every curveball they saw.
2. Polancos lazy defense in the 9th.
3. Pulling Maeda too soon.
4. Romo.....been trash ever since Cleveland got under his skin.
5. 17 straight.
6. As much as I like Cruz, he’s been underwhelming. Starting to play his age.
7. Sano had a good week or so run but for the most part is a big disappointment.
8. Donaldson even when healthy is a non factor.

Cruz hit the ball hard 2 times. One was a run scoring double. The other one was a hard line drive. He's the only one that looked worth a crap at the plate yesterday IMO.

• Danchat likes this

#17 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 731 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:26 AM

The most infuriating thing to me was letting a bad Greinke yesterday away with only 1 run given up. He was not good yesterday and we couldn't get to him. 

Also, besides the terrible hitting, when it came down to it, errors and walks lost this game for them. 

I was extremely frustrated by Polanco's error on that throw. He had all day, could have went to first if he wanted, etc. Instead he trys to make the throw moving backwards to try and look fancy and it results in a loss. Field the ball, step and throw. This is little league level fundamentals.

• Dave The Dastardly likes this

#18 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:31 AM

Cruz hit the ball hard 2 times. One was a run scoring double. The other one was a hard line drive. He's the only one that looked worth a crap at the plate yesterday IMO.

That wasn't a bad hit from Cruz, but he got an assist from Reddick on that double.

#19 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• 378 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:32 AM

Along with the 17-postseason game losing streak, the Twins also became the first MLB team to:

- Lose to a sub-.500 team in the postseason;

- Walk in the game-winning run in the 9th inning or later. 

That's enough records set right there. Today's a different day, a different game. 

SblamiVvl-SFSfi_8yN5GGvjJk0=.gif

#20 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 565 posts
  • LocationOne Foot Over the Line

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:55 AM

I'm ready for this game. Got my crying towel, a bottle of Jameson and a pistol with one bullet in the chamber... don't panic, for shooting the TV. I'm on my 18th one.

• ashbury and IndianaTwin like this