Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Indians sign Swisher

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

Indians To Sign Nick Swisher: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

4yr deal with a 5th year vesting option that could be worth as much as 70m over all five years.

This could be good news for the Twins if it leads a team like the Rangers to panic and trade for Willingham and/or Morneau.

#2 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

I really don't see the Rangers getting a a point where they "panic" and overpay for a guy like Willingham: they still have Cruz and Murphy in the outfield. Martin could be close to ready as well. In addition if they feel Olt is ready, they could move Kinsler to the OF potentially as well.

In addition, its not like Willingham is the only OF available, they could probably land Kubel pretty cheaply as well.

#3 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Yeah, and there is still Delmon Young waiting for the Big Contract now that Swisher signed. The interesting thing would be if Texas would consider trading the future for the present. But I agree that I would almost take Kubel over Willingham at the moment. Both play at about the same level. And Arizona will be more interested in shedding salary then getting a top flight prospect, I believe, as it gets down-to-the-wire on who we have to pay and play.

Swisher replaces both Sizemore and Hafner, both of whom contributed little in the immediate past to Cleveland, and both of whom are out there with the likes of Jim Thome and Johnny Damon looking for another chance. Be interesting to see where any of these guys end up.

Interesting how the pitching market seemed to dominate the Hot Stove League, and the big-name hitters came in a bit under their salary expectations (and years) compared to other seasons. With some middle infielders doing very well in that lackluster market.

Still some players in play...but how many 40-man roster spots actually still exist (yes, they can be easily made...Twins alone can shuffle the likes of Wood, Roienke, Butera, Hernandez, eve Benson if they desire).
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#4 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

The cellar dewellar Twins will never catch the Injuns now.

#5 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Nick Swisher, face of the Cleveland Indians.

#6 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

Never been a Swisher Fan... I think the change in home park may end up being a drop in production for him.

However... All in all... Choo for Bauer and Stubbs and now Swisher to replace Choo... Good off season for the Indians.

#7 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

Never been a Swisher Fan... I think the change in home park may end up being a drop in production for him.

However... All in all... Choo for Bauer and Stubbs and now Swisher to replace Choo... Good off season for the Indians.

That largely depends on whether or not the Swisher contract turns into an albatross, unless you think they'll compete in 2013.

#8 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

The chances of the Twins ending up in last place for the third year in a row seem to be increasing.

#9 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

The chances of the Twins ending up in last place for the third year in a row seem to be increasing.

Right, but deals like these don't help the Indians long term chances and perhaps even hinder them, which, along with what KC had done this winter, makes me feel pretty good about our next competitive window around 2015. As hard as that may be to stomach now, the Twins aren't handcuffing their future what so ever.

#10 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

MN is a 95 loss team but am not a huge Swisher fan...despite me bein a sbermetric guy.
Think Nick benefited from bein in a great lineup with huge protection & not having star expectations.
His 21-130 playoff BAve (.161/.263/.307 in 36 Yankee playoff gms----16-106 for .151/.262/.231/ not including MNs 6 gms!) shows how he will melt under the pressure he'll get in Clev if they ever get good.

Edited by greengoblinrulz, 23 December 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#11 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Handcuff how do you figure that? He is only 32 and in the prime of life. Get real and don't be jealous of a team that spends a little money, he will be great.

#12 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

Right, but deals like these don't help the Indians long term chances and perhaps even hinder them, which, along with what KC had done this winter, makes me feel pretty good about our next competitive window around 2015. As hard as that may be to stomach now, the Twins aren't handcuffing their future what so ever.

Good point. And if the Twins can lose 100 games next year, then maybe they can draft Appel and get him ready by 2015.

#13 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

Handcuff how do you figure that? He is only 32 and in the prime of life. Get real and don't be jealous of a team that spends a little money, he will be great.

I can tell you're a thinking man.

#14 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

Good point. And if the Twins can lose 100 games next year, then maybe they can draft Appel and get him ready by 2015.

Look, I'm a proponent of competing in 2013/14 if it doesn't restrict better moves in the future. Would you have been willing to trade Willingham and sign Swisher to this deal, for instance? I sure wouldn't.

#15 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

3 SS Asdrubal Cabrera**
4 RF Nick Swisher**
5 C Carlos Santana**
3-4-5 all are switch hitters and what is not to like. What do you think a #4 hitters worth?
The Twins future will never come, it's only for dreamers, lose another 300 games and see where you are at.

#16 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

Most likely Appel will be drafted this summer--the Twins have the 4th selection. The Twins won't jeopardize losing a draft choice the following year by overrunning the "slot budget"--which would require that Appel would sign for #4 slot money. He must still be available for the Twins to draft with that 4th selection--unlikely.

#17 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

3 SS Asdrubal Cabrera**
4 RF Nick Swisher**
5 C Carlos Santana**
3-4-5 all are switch hitters and what is not to like. What do you think a #4 hitters worth?
The Twins future will never come, it's only for dreamers, lose another 300 games and see where you are at.

Wow. I'd pay like a bizzilion dollars for that middle of the order!

#18 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

I disliked Swisher when he was playing for the Sux and disliked him even more after what he did to Nishioka a couple seasons ago. Hope that at least one Twins' pitcher has it in him to pay him back, and with him in the division now, there will be chances.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#19 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

I disliked Swisher when he was playing for the Sux and disliked him even more after what he did to Nishioka a couple seasons ago. Hope that at least one Twins' pitcher has it in him to pay him back, and with him in the division now, there will be chances.

What? Its fine to dislike him for his antics, but to dislike him for the Nishioka play is absurd.

The Nishioka play was a common and clean play, it's not his fault we literally had one of the worst 10 players of all time playing SS for us that game.

Also, that play actually benefited us, it took out an absolutely terrible SS/2B and forced us to replace him with a less terrible SS/2B. And then Nishioka ended up saving us some decent cash anyways!

Swisher has a 4.1, 3.8 and 3.9 WAR's the past three years. He is a good player and actually seems like a good clubhouse guy as well. (think Remond but with talent!)

Also when is the Baker signing press conference? I'd like to know the date and time so I can view it live on the web!

#20 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Cleveland is NOT giving up 4th place without a fight. I don't like this move, they really aren't that close, should be dumping almost all their resources into pitching, and the contract will be over by the time they are competitive.
Papers...business papers.

#21 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Look, I'm a proponent of competing in 2013/14 if it doesn't restrict better moves in the future. Would you have been willing to trade Willingham and sign Swisher to this deal, for instance? I sure wouldn't.

I would be 100% for trading Willingham for a very good pitching prospect and signing Swisher. It's not a great contract but he seems like a guy that will age relatively well and I think the contract will hurt less than many of the pitchers that some wanted the Twins to sign.

#22 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

I would be 100% for trading Willingham for a very good pitching prospect and signing Swisher. It's not a great contract but he seems like a guy that will age relatively well and I think the contract will hurt less than many of the pitchers that some wanted the Twins to sign.

I don't think Willingham would net what Cleveland got, so that's why I didn't put it that way. I'm all for moving Willingham for a good piece, but I don't want to reinvest the saved money in Swisher on the whisps of competitiveness. And I bet you really wouldn't do that either...

#23 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

Cleveland got the best pitcher in the central, Trevor Bauer ever heard of him? what does the Twins got? Oh ya Correia.

#24 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

That largely depends on whether or not the Swisher contract turns into an albatross, unless you think they'll compete in 2013.

Its just me... Sometimes you just run across a player that you don't think much of at some point and you can't shake the feeling no matter how well he does after... That's kinda Swisher for me. He had some bad years and I kinda labeled him and haven't taken him seriously since. That's my problem... Not his... Hes been pretty consistent the past few years but i still try to rationalize his numbers with the short porch at Yankee stadium and things like that but his splits dont suggest that it's fair of me to do that.

Can Cleveland compete this year? Oddly enough... I think the Twins have more depth on the mound as of right now. In 2012... Cleveland was just as bad as we were and that means they were awful on the mound... Bauer was a fantastic get for them but if Ubaldo doesn't get it together... Masterson, McAllister and Bauer won't be enough... They have nothing after that right now... Someone will get hurt... Ubaldo could suck... Bauer might get knocked around his first full year... They need depth and they don't have any...

The offense has a couple of holes but it has potential if Chisenhall and Kipnis start playing to potential... But it won't be enough to over come the Pitching in my estimation. They will be stronger if they can move Asdrubal for a decent pitcher or two and they just might do that. They do have Aviles to take his place and Lindor a couple years away in the shadows.

Right now I'd say they will finish last in the Central and I will say 3rd or 4th if they trade Cabrera for Two decent arms.... One arm won't get the job done.

Edited by Riverbrian, 23 December 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#25 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

Cleveland got the best pitcher in the central, Trevor Bauer ever heard of him? what does the Twins got? Oh ya Correia.

He is way better than that Jason Verlander guy.

#26 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Verly is great! He got 2yrs left at 20M, then let the bidding start. Although he didn't pitch that great in the playoffs.

#27 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

Totally missed sarcasm

#28 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

If Bauer was that good Arizona would not have traded him. Twins may finish last this year, White Sox may be close, but they are headed in the right direction. Amass arms that may function at a major league, and hope enough of the starters can pitch well.

#29 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

Yes nothing like finishing dead last 3 or 4 years in a row to get players begging to come to minnesota

#30 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

[quote name='Kwak']Most likely Appel will be drafted this summer--the Twins have the 4th selection. The Twins won't jeopardize losing a draft choice the following year by overrunning the "slot budget"--which would require that Appel would sign for #4 slot money. He must still be available for the Twins to draft with that 4th selection--unlikely.[
The C.B.A. doesnt penalize you for over running a slot , its combine 10 rounds of bonuses,
Isnt Appel a senior ? is he going to go to an independant leaque?, or accept the 6 million bonus?
as where he goes in the draft, his season will have a lot to do with that , he may fall out of the 1st round completly