Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Neal: Twins interested in Rich Harden

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

According to the Star Tribune's LaVelle Neal, the Twins have been in talks with representatives from pitcher Rich Harden.

Harden has not pitched since 2011 -- at which point he threw just 82.2 innings after working just 92.2 innings the previous season. When healthy, he's missed a whole lot of bats but his health has never been a friend to him and those days may be long gone. Still, he represents a deviation away from the pitch-to-contact methods used by the two more recent signings in Kevin Correia and Mike Pelfrey.

For a minor league deal, it is a perfect gamble - even if it winds up just like Joel Zumaya.

#2 luke829

luke829

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

The more darts you throw, sooner or later you're bound to hit the bulls-eye, right?
Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

#3 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

The more darts you throw, sooner or later you're bound to hit the bulls-eye, right?

not when the target is behind you.

#4 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

Much better than the other signings if it happens, but my god they must just be trying to piece together fragments of pitchers to put together 400 innings at the back end of the rotation.

#5 syves

syves

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

We should definitely get him AND Brandon Webb. World Series 2008 here we come!

But seriously, I like Rich Harden. I'd do it.

#6 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Can't hurt, and its prob the best situation for him. If he proves healthy he basically has a rotation spot won, and in a pitcher friendly ball park etc.

I actually really like this off-season if Ryan is able to bring in Marcum (or another similar pitcher via trade)

#7 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Can't hurt, and its prob the best situation for him. If he proves healthy he basically has a rotation spot won, and in a pitcher friendly ball park etc.

I actually really like this off-season if Ryan is able to bring in Marcum (or another similar pitcher via trade)

Just throwing this out there...take it for what it's worth. ESPN ranked TF as the 10th best hitter's park in 2012

#8 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

Just throwing this out there...take it for what it's worth. ESPN ranked TF as the 10th best hitter's park in 2012

Did you see the guys we were throwing out there last year! Haha, you get the point though. Maybe it isn't super pitcher friendly, but no one would mistake it for a true hitter friendly park.

#9 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

This wouldn't be a bad signing. He won't be getting much more than the minimum plus incetives. I agree he likely will be hurt, much like Zumaya, but this a vet minimum risk and an #1/2 type reward.

#10 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,122 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

Bring him in... He might be lights out for the 6 starts he makes in 2013 before going on the 60 day...

Im actually serious... We might only get 6 starts out of him and we should still bring him in. Cuz he might be lights out for those 6 starts.

Roll them dice... 7 come 11.

#11 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

If teflon does sign him , i hope it is with an option year attached.
The mistake he made in signing Pelfrey

#12 jmlease1

jmlease1

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

If the Twins want to bring Harden in on a minor-league deal, that's fine. You can't expect much out of a guy like that with his history. I mean, even in his "healthy" years he only topped 150 innings once! But he's got good stuff and might be able to contribute out of the bullpen more effectively?

#13 twinsfaninsaudi

twinsfaninsaudi

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

If you sign him, and he's healthy. Which approach do you take? Start him and let him burn out after two months, or put him in the bullpen to see if he lasts? Do they maybe see him as an early season bridge to Pelfrey or Gibson?

Anyway, I look forward to Terry Ryan sticking it to the doubters.

#14 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

I think Harden will make a great addition to the bullpen. He has already shown he can't stay in one piece as a starter. At this point he should become a top set up man.

#15 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

Better than Correira. So there is that.

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

If you sign him, and he's healthy. Which approach do you take? Start him and let him burn out after two months, or put him in the bullpen to see if he lasts? Do they maybe see him as an early season bridge to Pelfrey or Gibson?

Anyway, I look forward to Terry Ryan sticking it to the doubters.

Most likely flip him at the deadline.

#17 boney

boney

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

I've always been a fan of a healthy Harden. Bullpen or starter hopefully the Twins can get lucky this time and he holds up. Assuming he signs here of course.

#18 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,669 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

Bring him in... He might be lights out for the 6 starts he makes in 2013 before going on the 60 day...

Im actually serious... We might only get 6 starts out of him and we should still bring him in. Cuz he might be lights out for those 6 starts.

Roll them dice... 7 come 11

Did you mean a 7-man rotation on the way to an 11-man?
That's perfect, with Burton to set-up and Perk to close!
We're on our way now, Woo-Hoo!

#19 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,122 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Did you mean a 7-man rotation on the way to an 11-man?
That's perfect, with Burton to set-up and Perk to close!
We're on our way now, Woo-Hoo!

It would be the opposite approach to what the Rockies did with their rotation last year.

#20 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

Isn't Harden throwing in the low to mid 80s right now?

#21 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

It's leading to lower strikeout capability. But hes getting some mean sink.

#22 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

How much garbage do we need on our team? Don't we have enough of our own already?

#23 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

How much garbage do we need on our team? Don't we have enough of our own already?

You realize it would most likely be for a minor league contract/spring training invite right? There literally is zero risk as he would effectively blocking no one. ****, give me a guy like Harden as a low cost/high reward guy over any of our current starting 2013 Rochester rotation (sans Gibson and maybe Hendriks)

#24 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

He's the kind of guy they should be targeting. If you're going to bring in a bunch of arms, they might as well be big risk, big reward types like Harden. They need to find another 3-4 guys like this and bring them all in knowing that only 1-2 of them will pan out, but if so, will be way better than guys like Corriera and Pelfry.

#25 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

He hasn't thrown a pitch in the better part of two years, is moving into the decline phase of his career, and had little to no velocity prior to missing all of last season. To cap it off he's hyper-prone to injury, having only topped 150 IP once in his career, and that was when Bush was running for his second term. Sounds like a signing right in the Twins' wheelhouse.

#26 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 891 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Take a look at him and if he looks good sign him. Seems like all he wants is a minor league contract with incentives. Option year if possible.
This guy could pitch.

#27 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

Signed a minor league deal.

Now go sign Zumaya to one, have a competition to see who goes down first.