Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins To Promote Alex Kirilloff for Playoffs

alex kirilloff
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Dman

Dman

• 1,948 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:54 AM

I made a case in another article that they should have called him up for the last couple of weeks of the season as he couldn't do any worse than Wade or Cave.I guess things are bad enough now that a fresh bat, a good contact bat is needed in this strikeout heavy offense.Honestly he would be a good replacement for a slumping Sano and if Buxton cannot go then he should be fine in the outfield.Personally I think it is a good move.

#22 big dog

big dog

• 3,135 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:56 AM

Who is coming off the 28-man roster? The 40-man roster? Any info? Thanks.

#23 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,955 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:56 AM

Nobody cares about batting average anymore. Wade isn't with the team, Sano is there for the occasional big fly, and Cave has been among the Twins' most important players in the closing weeks of the season.

Good effort, though.

Speak for yourself. I still rely on it as an important indicator.

Bases loaded, 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th tied or behind one. Do you want Sano or Arraez? I will take Arraez 100 out of 100 times and 100% because of batting average.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#24 spycake

spycake

• 18,401 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:00 AM

Who is coming off the 28-man roster? The 40-man roster? Any info? Thanks.

Corresponding move not yet announced. Kirilloff was already postseason eligible, due to being included in their 40-player postseason pool last week, but they will need to clear a 40-man roster spot to actually add him to the 28-man active roster now. (And the 45/60 day IL is no longer an option to make room, since the regular season is over.)

#25 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,955 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:09 AM

I immediately thought of Kubel. because my memory was he came in a tough situation against Rivera in the playoffs with almost no at bats that year. I might be dreaming though cuz I can't find that game. Maybe thinking of someone else. Did discover he was 2-29 in his playoff career.Another big reason for the playoff losing streak.  

• nokomismod likes this

#26 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:17 AM

I've imagined Kirilloff to be a Joey Votto type of hitter, high batting average, relatively few strikeouts lots of extra base hits, but not a threat to win a home run championship. I've also seen him as the surest bet to be a major league regular of all of the Twins prospects. 

Lot of work needed on plate discipline to compare to Votto's (one of the all-time greats in that regard, especially when accounting for eras), but I'll take similar batting averages!

I love this move, but also find it quite odd. He should have been here when Rooker went down to get his feet wet. If there's a player where the stage won't be too big, Kirilloff is a good bet, but there's a lot of volatility in how any rookie will respond so this could get weird, hah.

• mikelink45 and MN_ExPat like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#27 spycake

spycake

• 18,401 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:21 AM

I immediately thought of Kubel. because my memory was he came in a tough situation against Rivera in the playoffs with almost no at bats that year. I might be dreaming though cuz I can't find that game. Maybe thinking of someone else. Did discover he was 2-29 in his playoff career.Another big reason for the playoff losing streak.  

Kubel came up in September 2004 for 67 PA in the regular season, and did well -- .300/.358/.433, reasonable K rate. Got placed on the postseason roster and drew the DH start for ALDS Game 2, but went 0-for-6 that game, including an unfortunate 3-pitch strikeout vs Rivera in a tie game with runners on 2nd and 3rd and only 1 out in the 8th inning.

It was not Kubel's first time facing Rivera, though. He had drawn a 4-pitch walk and popped out to short on a 2-1 count in two regular season PAs vs Rivera the previous week.

• nokomismod, Dantes929 and MN_ExPat like this

#28 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,955 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:15 AM

Kubel came up in September 2004 for 67 PA in the regular season, and did well -- .300/.358/.433, reasonable K rate. Got placed on the postseason roster and drew the DH start for ALDS Game 2, but went 0-for-6 that game, including an unfortunate 3-pitch strikeout vs Rivera in a tie game with runners on 2nd and 3rd and only 1 out in the 8th inning.

It was not Kubel's first time facing Rivera, though. He had drawn a 4-pitch walk and popped out to short on a 2-1 count in two regular season PAs vs Rivera the previous week.

Thanks for the research.I remember Gardy getting a lot of criticism after the 0-6 for playing an untested rookie like that. I didn't buy into that.Kubel was a good hitter and could just as easily have succeeded. One of my favorite memories of Kubel was a few years later when he took Rivera deep for a big dramatic grand slam. I'm not drawing parallels here to Kiriloff. Different time and different people and who knows what drama unfolds. I do agree however that getting him in a few games at the end would have been worthwhile.

• mikelink45 likes this

#29 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,607 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for the research.I remember Gardy getting a lot of criticism after the 0-6 for playing an untested rookie like that. I didn't buy into that.Kubel was a good hitter and could just as easily have succeeded. One of my favorite memories of Kubel was a few years later when he took Rivera deep for a big dramatic grand slam. I'm not drawing parallels here to Kiriloff. Different time and different people and who knows what drama unfolds. I do agree however that getting him in a few games at the end would have been worthwhile.

Another story I heard was Gardy also wanted to send in a pinch hitter to face Rivera, but the possible pinch hitters Gardy wanted to use were not exactly making themselves seen at the bat rack champing at the bit. (I wish I had known that at the time.)

Anyway, welcome to the bigs Alex!
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#30 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,877 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:30 AM

#31 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,630 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:19 AM

Nobody cares about batting average anymore. Wade isn't with the team, Sano is there for the occasional big fly, and Cave has been among the Twins' most important players in the closing weeks of the season.

Good effort, though.

I still believe in BA and RBIs

#32 Twins_Fan_For_Life

Twins_Fan_For_Life

• 110 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:04 PM

Yeah, Votto's WAR and WAR7 numbers are ridiculously good. A sure-fire hall-of-famer

#33 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 27,064 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 29 September 2020 - 04:08 PM

Bases loaded, 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th tied or behind one. Do you want Sano or Arraez? I will take Arraez 100 out of 100 times and 100% because of batting average.

Also, if I have a choice between a .300 hitter with a .350 OBP, or a .225 hitter with a .350 OBP, I take the first guy 100 times out of 100.

• Steve Lein likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alex kirilloff