Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins postseason game times, TV

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 438 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:25 PM

doesn't the whole nation want to watch the cheaters go down in flames?? :jump:

If the Yankees are still in it, TV will always find a way to get them the best time slots....fair or not. Personally, I hope they get eliminated quickly. Everyday the Yankees lose, an angel gets its wings.

• jrod23, heresthething and BeatTheRich like this

#22 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:34 PM

Bummer time slot. Self employed but after being out of town all last week I gotta be at the job tomorrow. Oh well DVR and radio silence all afternoon so I can be clueless when I get home. Will miss the game thread and live pint. Go Twins!

#23 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:43 PM

Maybe all the folks that have to miss it live could set a time to start watching the MLB.TV replay together on Tuesday evening. :)

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#24 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 583 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:08 PM

No matter the pitching or team match-up, the Yankees or Red Sox always get prime time, and that is unlikely to change.

If the Twins want to be in prime time, they need to win a series or two...

BTW - Cole vs. Bieber is a pitching matchup made for prime time, IMO.

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#25 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,592 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:15 PM

I don't think anyone liked it.

Look at the 1995 playoffs:

AL Division Series 3-0 Cleveland Indians over Boston Red Sox
AL Division Series 3-2 Seattle Mariners over New York Yankees
NL Division Series 3-1 Atlanta Braves over Colorado Rockies
NL Division Series 3-0 Cincinnati Reds over Los Angeles Dodgers
ALCS 4-2 Cleveland Indians over Seattle Mariners
NLCS 4-0 Atlanta Braves over Cincinnati Reds

Fans in Minnesota got Cleveland-Boston during the DS round, because Cleveland was a "midwest" team in the American League. Even if the series went 2-0, Minnesota fans were locked into that, rather than potentially checking out another more competitive series. (Or if the network switched you to watch a more competitive series, undoubtedly you'd alienate some fans who wanted to keep watching Cleveland-Boston until the end.)

What if the White Sox qualified as a wild card -- which game would we get, Cleveland or Chicago? What if the Brewers qualified in the NL -- should we get their game over, say, the White Sox?

It gets worse in other places. With both Cincinnati and Cleveland qualifying, and surviving until the CS round, what game should get broadcast precedence in Ohio? What about Texas, where no team close to them qualified? What about Iowa and the many other states without a MLB team of any kind?

Now this was broadcast TV -- limited to one network. With the move to cable in 1996, baseball has many more networks to deliver simultaneous games -- but the value of each of those games broadcast rights is greatly diminished if it has to compete with other games. TBS will pay a fair amount for any exclusive MLB postseason game -- but they're not going to pay nearly as much if they have to broadcast MIN-OAK while Fox is broadcasting LAD-CHC or something like that.

Sure, but what’s the best decision for the greatest number of fans in this market right now.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#26 Trov

Trov

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 608 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:06 PM

I mentioned above, but in 1995 -- the first wild card postseason -- they tried overlapping prime time games. So people only saw their "regional" game in the first round. The response was not good.

The next year, 1996, was the first year they had postseason games on cable, so they were no longer limited to the major broadcast networks (ABC, NBC, etc.) and they could air all games nationally.

Yes, but that was only 2 games some days and 4 others.On Wednesday, they will have 8 games all starting 1 hour after the next, except for Dodgers get a west coast prime time slot.So since there is no way of having full separate game time, why not let more be in prime time locally?I mean if you want to see them all you cannot, unless you have 4 to 5 TV's to watch at once.Else you will just get to keep seeing the end of games.I know why they did it, but I just wish in this case they could have had more overlap since they already have to have so much anyways. 

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#27 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:17 PM

Sure, but what’s the best decision for the greatest number of fans in this market right now.

If it's just up to the fans in the local market, sure every game should be on at 7 PM local time or whatever. And that's what happens during the regular season, when local market fans are the primary target.

But in the postseason, the audience widens. Hence why ESPN and Fox and Turner pay billions for national TV deals, and in turn get big money from national commercials. Compare that to the regular season, when Fox Sports North pays the Twins $43 mil for the local rights and gets a free breadstick for every Pizza Ranch ad they show. :)

#28 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:25 PM

Yes, but that was only 2 games some days and 4 others.On Wednesday, they will have 8 games all starting 1 hour after the next, except for Dodgers get a west coast prime time slot.So since there is no way of having full separate game time, why not let more be in prime time locally?I mean if you want to see them all you cannot, unless you have 4 to 5 TV's to watch at once.Else you will just get to keep seeing the end of games.I know why they did it, but I just wish in this case they could have had more overlap since they already have to have so much anyways. 

The primetime game is the most valuable. The more you overlap that, the less it is worth (so the less money MLB receives). The afternoon games have less to lose by overlap.

And I suspect a lot of viewers can watch multiple games at one time now, through streaming. YouTube TV, Fox Sports, ESPN, etc. all have tablet/phone apps. (Hence why TVs generally don't have their own "picture in picture" mode anymore.) I know the ESPN app on Apple TV can also play 4 games at once on your TV too.

#29 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,203 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:36 PM

Wow, first Twins playoff game on broadcast TV in like a decade (or at least it feels that way).

Of course, if they won more it would solve this problem as they advance.

It's probably the first one since at least 2009. I don't believe the Division Series has been on broadcast TV in a long time.

#30 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,203 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:45 PM

I don't understand why they couldn't do two games at like 2/3 PM central and two at 7/8. They're basically over-lapping anyway. Does the Oakland game really need to end by 7 PM PST?

You could have TB/Tor at 2 PM CST, Twins/Astros at 3, Yankees/Indians at 7 and Oakland/Chicago at 8. No one would have to start before 3 PM local time and no one would be scheduled to end later than 9 PM local time.

#31 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,544 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:08 PM

Actually longer!

https://en.wikipedia...es_broadcasters

I think our 2006 ALDS games on ESPN games were simulcast locally on ABC (KSTP).

Otherwise, we haven't been national on broadcast TV since the 2004 ALDS.

MLB programmers have also spared the rest of the country from having to watch many of those horrific games.

• spycake likes this

#32 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,013 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:46 PM

I don't understand why they couldn't do two games at like 2/3 PM central and two at 7/8. They're basically over-lapping anyway. Does the Oakland game really need to end by 7 PM PST?

You could have TB/Tor at 2 PM CST, Twins/Astros at 3, Yankees/Indians at 7 and Oakland/Chicago at 8. No one would have to start before 3 PM local time and no one would be scheduled to end later than 9 PM local time.

There are more considerations here than people are giving the situation, the key one in this example being corporate broadcast channels that paid a boatload of money to show MLB postseason games.

On Wednesday, ESPN will play four (!) games on their primary channel. 

There is a limit to how many companies were willing to pay MLB for the right to broadcast games, especially broadcasting them all simultaneously.

• spycake likes this

#33 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:56 PM

On Wednesday, ESPN will play four (!) games on their primary channel. 

Plus 2 more on ESPN2, and another on ABC. So that's the rights to 7 games, in one day, all purchased by the same company.

If ESPN is giving MLB a billion dollars and wants those start times staggered, then that's what MLB is going to do.:)

• Brock Beauchamp likes this

#34 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,091 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 09:42 PM

Bummer time slot. Self employed but after being out of town all last week I gotta be at the job tomorrow. Oh well DVR and radio silence all afternoon so I can be clueless when I get home. Will miss the game thread and live pint. Go Twins!

Or, you can turn on the radio and hear the analyst be clueless. 

Sorry, but you put it on a tee for me. 

• wabene likes this