Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins postseason game times, TV

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:28 PM

Dust off that antenna, folks: the Twins 2020 postseason debut is over the air on ABC (albeit at 1 PM on a Tuesday, pre-empting some soap opera, presumably?):

Twins-Astros:
Game 1: 1 p.m. Tuesday, ABC
Game 2: Noon Wednesday, ESPN2
Game 3: TBA Thursday

• SQUIRREL, nicksaviking, nclahammer and 2 others like this

#2 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,592 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:04 PM

Because Twins fans would rather watch Yankees - Red Sox in prime time, than a Twins game, or something.

Great job, MLB. Just a great job all around.
  • twinssporto, bighat and wabene like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#3 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,592 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:06 PM

At least we didn’t get the 9 AM time slot?

At least those of us who are shift workers might be able to catch a game. I guess that’s something.
  • bighat likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#4 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:21 PM

Because Twins fans would rather watch Yankees - Red Sox in prime time, than a Twins game, or something.

To be fair, they try to stagger all of the games. They tried overlapping postseason games back in 1995 I think, and it was roundly critized. (Yes, they do give prime time preference to the biggest markets, but I am not sure what criteria to use for that, beyond time zone.)

#5 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,247 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 06:55 AM

Wednesday is going to be something else with eight games going on. It will be baseball's version of March Madness.

• ashbury, Otwins and blindeke like this

#6 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• 772 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:07 AM

Living in the UK this is great for me! I usually have to catch the highlights the day after. Sorry for everyone else though....

• SQUIRREL, wavedog, Danchat and 5 others like this

#7 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 204 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:22 AM

So happy, last week I was able to watch games on my TV instead of my iPad.I have Dish and they do not have FSN. I would love to change but my family loves PrimeTime Live.Both Dish and FSN suck by depriving viewers from this channel.Does anyone know how long the Twins contract is with FSN?

#8 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 549 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:19 AM

At least at 1pm it will be a balmy 63deg. I don't care if they play at 1AM. Just please get through 1 round of these playoffs or 2020 won't be any different than any other recent year when they made the playoffs. Astros don't wear pin stripes with NY on the front so there goes that excuse.

• blindeke likes this

#9 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,544 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 09:11 AM

Wow, first Twins playoff game on broadcast TV in like a decade (or at least it feels that way).

Of course, if they won more it would solve this problem as they advance.

• Longdistancetwins likes this

#10 Trov

Trov

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 608 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:03 AM

I seriously wonder if ratings are higher for the 1 and noon games than if they were evening games?Personally, I will not be watching any evening games and will fill my time in other ways.Luckily I will get to see/listen to most of the games.They have so many games going they are overlapping anyways?Why not have just local show the games, guess it comes down to large contracts signed by media. 

#11 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,785 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:23 AM

For those wondering: the Cleveland vs. Yankees series (the 4-5 matchup) is getting the 7pm ET time slots on both Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

• wabene likes this

#12 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:39 AM

So happy, last week I was able to watch games on my TV instead of my iPad.I have Dish and they do not have FSN. I would love to change but my family loves PrimeTime Live.

Is "PrimeTime Live" just the Dish DVR?

YouTube TV has FSN and also offers unlimited DVR (plus on-demand content, if you forgot to DVR something). And no contract!

#13 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:44 AM

They have so many games going they are overlapping anyways?Why not have just local show the games, guess it comes down to large contracts signed by media. 

I mentioned above, but in 1995 -- the first wild card postseason -- they tried overlapping prime time games. So people only saw their "regional" game in the first round. The response was not good.

The next year, 1996, was the first year they had postseason games on cable, so they were no longer limited to the major broadcast networks (ABC, NBC, etc.) and they could air all games nationally.

#14 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:51 AM

Wow, first Twins playoff game on broadcast TV in like a decade (or at least it feels that way).

Actually longer!

https://en.wikipedia...es_broadcasters

I think our 2006 ALDS games on ESPN games were simulcast locally on ABC (KSTP).

Otherwise, we haven't been national on broadcast TV since the 2004 ALDS.

• Shaitan likes this

#15 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:55 AM

Living in the UK this is great for me! I usually have to catch the highlights the day after. Sorry for everyone else though....

Yup. And international viewers (outside the USA & Canada) should be able to see all of these games through their normal MLB.TV subscription.

#16 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:57 AM

Here in the USA & Canada, MLB.TV subscribers can still listen to the live postseason radio broadcasts, watch the archive games (90 minutes after they end), or watch live if they authenticate with a participating pay TV provider:

https://www.mlb.com/...n/2020providers

In the USA, though, it is easier to just get YouTube TV for $65. That will have every game (with DVR!). Subscribe Tuesday Sep. 29, cancel right away (turn off renewal), and it will last through Game 7 of the World Series.

#17 spanman2

spanman2

• 298 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 11:10 AM

Enjoy the day games with same day drinking...hit a local watering hole or tell your boss unless you are self-employed you are taking a half day...Win Twins!!!Lets make a run this year.

• Hosken Bombo Disco and wabene like this
I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#18 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,592 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:36 PM

To be fair, they try to stagger all of the games. They tried overlapping postseason games back in 1995 I think, and it was roundly critized. (Yes, they do give prime time preference to the biggest markets, but I am not sure what criteria to use for that, beyond time zone.)

Roundly criticized by who? Big market attention hounds who were forced to share a spotlight for a couple nights?
- J. L. Borges

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,013 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 01:04 PM

I don’t really see another way to do it. They essentially gave first round “slots” in the day, as once you commit to the Yankees getting a night game in game one, it’s less fair to flip them around for a 1pm start the following day. What happens if game one goes 14 innings? That’s a rough spot to be in for both teams.

Besides, it only impacts the next three days. After that, games will likely start in the late afternoon then continue into the evening as the field narrows.
  • spycake likes this

#20 spycake

spycake

• 18,351 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 01:30 PM

Roundly criticized by who? Big market attention hounds who were forced to share a spotlight for a couple nights?

I don't think anyone liked it.

Look at the 1995 playoffs:

AL Division Series 3-0 Cleveland Indians over Boston Red Sox
AL Division Series 3-2 Seattle Mariners over New York Yankees
NL Division Series 3-1 Atlanta Braves over Colorado Rockies
NL Division Series 3-0 Cincinnati Reds over Los Angeles Dodgers

ALCS 4-2 Cleveland Indians over Seattle Mariners
NLCS 4-0 Atlanta Braves over Cincinnati Reds

Fans in Minnesota got Cleveland-Boston during the DS round, because Cleveland was a "midwest" team in the American League. Even if the series went 2-0, Minnesota fans were locked into that, rather than potentially checking out another more competitive series. (Or if the network switched you to watch a more competitive series, undoubtedly you'd alienate some fans who wanted to keep watching Cleveland-Boston until the end.)

What if the White Sox qualified as a wild card -- which game would we get, Cleveland or Chicago? What if the Brewers qualified in the NL -- should we get their game over, say, the White Sox?

It gets worse in other places. With both Cincinnati and Cleveland qualifying, and surviving until the CS round, what game should get broadcast precedence in Ohio? What about Texas, where no team close to them qualified? What about Iowa and the many other states without a MLB team of any kind?

Now this was broadcast TV -- limited to one network. With the move to cable in 1996, baseball has many more networks to deliver simultaneous games -- but the value of each of those games broadcast rights is greatly diminished if it has to compete with other games. TBS will pay a fair amount for any exclusive MLB postseason game -- but they're not going to pay nearly as much if they have to broadcast MIN-OAK while Fox is broadcasting LAD-CHC or something like that.