Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

My thoughts on Tyler Duffey..

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Drake2020

Drake2020

Elizabethton Twins

• 5 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:38 PM

First of all, congratulations to the entire Twins organization, fans and friends for winning the AL Central!This was a tough division in 2020, and the final standings prove that point.Before the final day of regular season games today, all we knew was that the Twins were headed for the post season, but we had no clue who we would be playing in the first round. We know now that it will be the Houston Astros, starting Tuesday at Target Field, best of 3 after losing today, 5-3, vs. the Reds. 

I always enjoy listening to the post game interviews, win or lose, but they are usually filled with cliches.Not Tyler Duffey tonight however. He was fun to listen to, and he made some really good points.He's a nice spokesman for Twins baseball, and his 1.88 ERA and mid 90's fastball doesn't hurt at all.

I remember back when the Twins were trying to market the team with the "Get To Know 'Em" campaign, Torii Hunter, Jones, Mientkiewicz, Pierzynski, Punto, Guzman, and all the piranhas.That worked very well, and I have fond memories of that era.  

Well, we have all read about Kirby Puckett's early life growing up in the projects of Chicago and Kent Hrbek's storybook childhood of growing up a few blocks away from the old Met Stadium. But Tyler Duffy's road to the top is pretty inspiring, so I just wanted to post this link for all to read. Because we all have moms, and moms are the best.

Here's the link to his story:

https://www.thegazet...s-no-hit-beloit

• spanman2, Hosken Bombo Disco, IndianaTwin and 2 others like this

#2 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,126 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 06:29 AM

Thanks for posting that Drake2020.

Hopefully, the Twins will extend Duffey this winter and lock him up for the next three or four years. No question in my mind that he could be their closer next year, although may be more valuable being moved around anywhere over the last two or three innings.

#3 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,624 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 09:47 AM

I wondered why they didn't bring Tytler in when Romo blewup. 

The Twins have a great relief staff right now - Romo, Duffey, Rogers, May (who I hope can stay under a reasonable agreement). Stashak will harden. Clippard if a luxury. Alcala has the stuff. Wow. Do you NEED an exclusive closer these days?

I wish there was more of a need for starters that can go at least six innings. 100 pitches. Ugh.

• rdehring likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com

#4 Melissa

Melissa

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 63 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:54 PM

That’s a great story, thank you!

I remember when Duffey first came up to the Bigs a few years ago. Watching him pitch as the starter in a few games, I was very impressed with his stuff. But in Toronto (I think it was) the home plate umpire squeezed him hard on pitches that were on the edges of the strike zone. This continued to happen for a few games and seemed to sap his confidence, and that of his manager.