Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Seeding

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 548 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:57 AM

This crazy year of 2020 has introduced another new term to MLB playoffs, "seeding". I don't pretend to understand all of it but I do know that the higher seeded teams get a home field advantage and a better draw so winning the Central with the best record possible makes a huge difference with a 23-5 home record and a mediocre road record.. Might as well pretend that this year is like any other and going deep into playoffs or even the Texas World Series is a big deal. What I am getting at is that winning, if not sweeping this unusual season ending series with Cincy does mean something. Or maybe, who cares?

#2 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,105 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 25 September 2020 - 10:37 AM

It certainly means something to the Twins to win the division or get the highest seed possible. They still could end up with a #7 seed and have to visit a division champion on the road, so winning is important. That said, winning one game will guarantee a home first round series against a lower seed and Cincinnati might need to win all three, or at least two of three to get in the playoffs at all. They need to win more than the Twins do. 

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,013 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 10:44 AM

Win the division to avoid the Yankees for at least a few games. It's not that I'm against facing the Yankees as much as I'd rather face a weakened Astros squad.

Bonus points if Cleveland catches Chicago, as I'd much rather face the White Sox over Cleveland should the Twins end up as the second seed.

Between the Astros and White Sox, I don't much care... but I consider both to be rather inferior to the rest of the field minus the Blue Jays, which would require improbable odds for the Twins to face them in a three game set.

Blue Jays < Astros = White Sox << Everybody Else

#4 spycake

spycake

• 18,348 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:10 PM

You're all missing the big incentive here: draft position! If we lose out, we might be able to move up from the 28th overall pick next year to the 24th. :)

#5 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,591 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:21 PM

Now that the Twins look like a #2 seed, I personally think the Yankees are trying to lose out so that they get the 7 seed.

I’ll show myself out...
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#6 spycake

spycake

• 18,348 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:46 PM

Now that the Twins look like a #2 seed, I personally think the Yankees are trying to lose out so that they get the 7 seed.

I’ll show myself out...

I know you're joking, BUT, the Yankees may not have enough control over that anymore. If Toronto loses 1 more game, they are locked into the #8 seed regardless of what the Yankees do (thus guaranteeing the Yankees no worse than the #5 seed).

Would have been more of a battle if NYY had lost all 4 to TOR this week, instead of just 3 of 4. They would have been tied overall and Toronto would have the tiebreaker advantage too.