Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Gardy announces retirement

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,456 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:20 PM

This is an AP article lifted from the StarTribune web site.

DETROIT — Tigers manager Ron Gardenhire announced his immediate retirement barely over an hour before Saturday night's game against Cleveland, saying he's been "stressed out" and not feeling well.

The news came in an abruptly called video conference around 5 p.m. as Detroit prepared to play the Indians at Comerica Park.

Gardenhire missed time recently because of stomach issues, and he indicated Saturday that the stress of managing was difficult.

"It's been wonderful here, but I also know I have to take care of myself," Gardenhire said. "When you come to the ballpark, and you're stressed out all day, and your hands are shaking, that's not fun. I've got grandbabies, I've got kids that I need to take care of, and my wife, and as I told Al, I'm going to step back and take care of myself and try to get healthy."

General manager Al Avila said he made a routine visit to Gardenhire's office Saturday, when the manager told him about the decision.

Gardenhire took over for longtime Twins manager Tom Kelly and managed the team from 2002-14, going 1,068-1,039. Minnesota won the division six times in his first nine seasons at the helm, and he was American League Manager of the Year in 2010.

He was a bench coach for the Arizona Diamondbacks before returning to the AL Central with the Tigers for the 2018 season. Detroit was 132-241 under Gardenhire.

Gardenhire played five seasons in the majors, all with the New York Mets, and was a light-hitting infielder in the 1980s.

https://m.startribun...ment/572465591/

Edited by Hosken Bombo Disco, 19 September 2020 - 05:44 PM.
Edited down for fair use; link to story added

#2 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,456 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:33 PM

I'll be the first to comment. Back in the 1980's Bill James discussed a metric to find out who was the best baseball player during a certain time frame. He took all the weighted MVP votes players received and added them up. I think one of the calculations with this method gave the result that Stan Musial was the best player in the National League during the 1950's.

I don't remember the numbers and I'm not going to do it again, but using this method with the weighted AL Manager of the Year votes gives the result that Gardy was the best manager in the AL during the nine seasons from 2002 through 2010.

• woolywoolhouse and wabene like this

#3 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,116 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:01 PM

A good baseball guy. I'm not sure if he was able to change as the game changed, but players played hard for him. One might say they "battled their tails off"while playing for Gardy.

• drunksam, howeda7, woolywoolhouse and 2 others like this

#4 denarded

denarded

• 233 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:30 PM

Gardenhire was/is great. His kid (Toby) played baseball at the local college and I had a couple interactions with him (great guy and glad to see his success) but I regret not asking him to get me a signed ball from his dad. Thought it was too weird to ask him. Maybe see Toby as next Twins manager

Wikipedia is for suckers

#5 Thegrin

Thegrin

• 1,133 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:36 PM

I loved Gardy. He should never have been fired. Every time Rocco makes when of his cacamamy pitching changes I miss Gardy more.:)

#6 twinfan

twinfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 154 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:28 PM

Gardy was a good guy and a good manager. It's too bad he can't stick around because the Tigers have some very good young players- particularly pitchers and could be contenders in 2 years.

• Longdistancetwins likes this

#7 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,447 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:15 PM

Smart move - his health has been shaky for a good while. Enjoy those kids and grandkids Ron, and long and healthy life to ya.

• wabene likes this

#8 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 65 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:47 AM

No one knows why the wheels came off the car when they did for Gardy, but most managers don't have such long runs of success before needing a rebuild.

Unfortunately, the organization took the car to a terrible mechanic who made the problems with the car permanent. Whether or not Gardy has any blame for the one failed season, Gardy is not to blame for the team's long, deep dive.

I hope Gardy is OK and will be with us for a long time. Given the timing, this may be just as much about the state of the Tigers as it is about Gardenhire's health.

#9 spanman2

spanman2

• 300 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:10 AM

I think Gardy was the perfect fit for the franchise in '02 when he took over for TK.His managerial style seemed to mesh well with the players who went out there for him.That season you could argue literally saved this franchise from relocating or being eliminated all together.Like many managers when the talent isnt there your record suffers.He had a good run with the Twins going back to his pre-managerial roles.Great personality no doubt.I could see the Twins giving him an advisor type role centered around spring training or perhaps offering other types of instruction in the minor leagues.Take care of yourself Gardy...Best Wishes to you/yours.

• wabene likes this
I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#10 Paul

Paul

• 169 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:47 AM

I love Gardy, but I think it was his dislike of, and inability to find acceptable common ground with, shortstop JJ Hardy that set the team on their slide.

• jctwins likes this

#11 rv78

rv78

Ft Myers Miracle

• 292 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 02:45 PM

Never was a big fan of him. Could never win the games he needed to. Rested his players at the end of the season only to have them come out flat and uninspired for the playoffs. Was quick to throw his young players under the bus for mistakes. Gave way to much credit to guys that were underperformers (Punto, Butera and the others) like he was when he was a player. Maybe lack of talent due to Terry Ryan and the Pohlads giving him little to nothing to work with was his true nemesis. I suppose you could argue he did well to be close to a .500 career Manager for the Twins due to those circumstances. Just don't think he could motivate players. I wish him well, but didn't miss him when he left.

#12 big dog

big dog

• 3,135 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:35 PM

Gardy had some really good years here. He was outstanding at getting kicked out of games. I have no idea if it fired up the team or not, probably some yes and some no, but he had a real gift. Probably only behind Gene Mauch, who could get psychotic with the best of them. I don't remember Gardy ever getting so mad he would go into the dugout and throw the bats out onto the field before stalking into the clubhouse. I think Mauch did that several times.

#13 spanman2

spanman2

• 300 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:31 AM

Never was a big fan of him. Could never win the games he needed to. Rested his players at the end of the season only to have them come out flat and uninspired for the playoffs. Was quick to throw his young players under the bus for mistakes. Gave way to much credit to guys that were underperformers (Punto, Butera and the others) like he was when he was a player. Maybe lack of talent due to Terry Ryan and the Pohlads giving him little to nothing to work with was his true nemesis. I suppose you could argue he did well to be close to a .500 career Manager for the Twins due to those circumstances. Just don't think he could motivate players. I wish him well, but didn't miss him when he left.

Another Punto basher...define 'underperformer' if you have a 14 year MLB career.Was he an All Star caliber hitter?No way and I would never argue that point, but he could play 3b,ss,2b any day of the week.He wasa player you could throw out there when a starter needed a day off and you wouldn't need to worry about getting a solid 9 innings out of him.I said in my post Gardy was absolutely the perfect fit personality wise in '02 for the players on that team and the circumstances the franchise was facing.Look at the lack of talent TK had for several years in the 90s...did TK forget how to manage?Of course not.You gotta have talent to go along with reaching your players as they are all different between the ears.One segment of the game that passed Gardy and the front office by during their tenure was embracing the analytics of the game.They now have a front office/manager that does.WIN TWINS!!!

• Hosken Bombo Disco and Nine of twelve like this
I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#14 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 542 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:43 AM

I think Gardy was the perfect fit for the franchise in '02 when he took over for TK.His managerial style seemed to mesh well with the players who went out there for him.That season you could argue literally saved this franchise from relocating or being eliminated all together. 

This was my thought exactly.There might not have been a Target Field without Gardy.Unfortunately I think he wasn't ever given roster capable of doing much more than winning the division.  

#15 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,203 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 03:48 PM

Outside of his obsessive need to start Nick Punto unnecessarily I liked Gardy. He's a slam dunk to to into the Twins HOF.