Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Brett Myers

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

I really wished the Twins would have signed Brett Myers over Kevin Correia. It would have given the Twins a backup for Perkins if he falters as closer next season. Terry Ryan could have offered $7M to Myers instead of wasting $10M on 2 years for Correia.

#2 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 919 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

Guesing most everybody agrees with you on this. I hate the Correia signing in a vacuum, but I'll REALLY hate it if Ryan doesn't find at least one more starter besides Worley that exceeds the Diamond Standard. Myers would be a poor man's solution to this. Kind of the tilapia of options, Greinke being lobster, Sanchez being sea bass....let's hope he signs him, because the options are getting pretty depressing.

#3 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

I like fish....
Lighten up Francis....

#4 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

It's not to late to sign Matt Capps to a 4 year deal.

#5 chavez

chavez

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Does that make Correia the Asian Carp option?

#6 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,909 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

Add Marcum. Myers, Saunders or someone like that. If everyone were healthy it is Marcum Myers or Saunders, Correia, Diamond, Worley and Hendriks. While this rotation won't scare the Giants, it has decent placeholders until Gibson, Meyers, Berrios and May are ready and would give the club a shot to be around ,500 anyway.

#7 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Myers is reportedly set to sign with the Cleveland Indians.

#8 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Myers is reportedly set to sign with the Cleveland Indians.

I can't wait to see how bad the Twins screwed up signing Kevin Correia for $10M for 2YR when the numbers come out for Brett Myers.

I also read somewhere the Indians might be in talks with Arizona for Kubel.

#9 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Terry Ryan is so old school & in over his head with the new wave of baseball/baseball execs
His expertise in scouting/minor league player evaluation would be put to better use as an assistant GM type of role

#10 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

I can't wait to see how bad the Twins screwed up signing Kevin Correia for $10M for 2YR when the numbers come out for Brett Myers.

I also read somewhere the Indians might be in talks with Arizona for Kubel.

Kubel has been mentioned going several places. His pedestrian second half of the season may hurt his trade value. Rangers and Orioles have also come up in trade talks.

#11 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Terry Ryan is so old school & in over his head with the new wave of baseball/baseball execs
His expertise in scouting/minor league player evaluation would be put to better use as an assistant GM type of role

If it is as you say that Ryan's expertise is scouting then perhaps the problem is getting Pohlad to approve the contracts? If Ryan knows a good player when he sees one but can't sign him then the problem becomes the money. The money is Pohlad's.

#12 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,239 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

You have to offer the money before someone can take it.

#13 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

An Indian.

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

I'm ok with not signing Myers. He's just been moved around between starting and the BP so often. , and well, there's this: Boston Red Sox - Visiting player hit wife, police charge - The Boston Globe -

#15 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

If it is as you say that Ryan's expertise is scouting then perhaps the problem is getting Pohlad to approve the contracts? If Ryan knows a good player when he sees one but can't sign him then the problem becomes the money. The money is Pohlad's.

Someone else finally seeing the light? On our way to $50M for '15...

#16 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

I'm ok with not signing Myers. He's just been moved around between starting and the BP so often. , and well, there's this: Boston Red Sox - Visiting player hit wife, police charge - The Boston Globe -

Really Seth? I expected more out of you than that. So the guy made a terrible mistake in 2006. Does that mean he goes out every night and assaults women?

So much for giving anyone a second chance ever?

#17 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Indians have reached a one-year contract with Brett Myers.

The deal includes a club option for 2014. Myers, 32, had a solid 3.31 ERA, 1.22 WHIP and 41/15 K/BB ratio in 65 1/3 innings of relief last year between the Astros and White Sox. He'll return to starting duties with Cleveland and should carry value in mixed fantasy leagues.

#18 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 987 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

Can't wait to see the contract. In contest against who we signed for two years and one year, I hope they over[paid him for one year and the option. Otherwise.....

Rebuilding. Just Say It!
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#19 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Really Seth? I expected more out of you than that. So the guy made a terrible mistake in 2006. Does that mean he goes out every night and assaults women?

Then there was the time they had to physically separate him and a reporter in Philadelphia. Third chance for anger management?

#20 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Someone else finally seeing the light? On our way to $50M for '15...

There is a difference between paying someone what they are worth and way overpaying. The Pohlads for mediocre talent will not overpay. They put out the money for Pavano and Baker. They put out the money for Mauer and Morneau. They extend Doumit when he showed his value to this club. Please don't even begin to think that I share your view.

#21 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

I'm not going to get to upset about Myers, the dude is a wife beater (only above rapist in my book) and just isn't a very good pitcher. Of course I would rather the Twins not give Correia 2 yeasr/10 million, but we really need to let that go at some point.

I still want them to bring in Marcum though.

#22 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Something like 88% of men who beat their spouse and get caught for it have been repeat offenders (even if they aren't "caught" again)

Getting a DUI is a mistake.
Getting in a bar fight is a mistake.
Doing drugs is a mistake.
Beating your spouse is not a mistake and is downright despicable.

I don't want a wife beating #5 on this roster. That is for sure.

#23 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

There is a difference between paying someone what they are worth and way overpaying. The Pohlads for mediocre talent will not overpay. They put out the money for Pavano and Baker. They put out the money for Mauer and Morneau. They extend Doumit when he showed his value to this club. Please don't even begin to think that I share your view.

I doubt we will find out Myers was a huge overpay. It also kind of dampens your theory that free agents won't sign with bottom feeders regardless of money.

Edited by nicksaviking, 01 January 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#24 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

A>friggin>men

#25 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

I doubt we will find out Myers was a huge overpay. It also kind of dampens your theory that free agents won't sign with bottom feeders regardless of money.

Top free agents. not low ranked ones like Myers. At least bother to remember all what I say if you are going to the trouble to be irritated by it.

#26 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

With respect to your closing comment, believe me, I can sleep better at night, given your assurances.

Based on the last 2 seasons, your first highlighted assertion is laughable. Blackburn, Nishioka, Capps, Carroll and Correia ring any bells? They didn't put out the money and time-frame for Baker this year and they ran off Hardy for nothing in return because they wouldn't pay him what he was worth last year. The ill-considered contract paid- and time frame given-- to Mauer has crippled their flexibility to address other areas of weakness.

#27 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

[/B]

With respect to your closing comment, believe me, I can sleep better at night, given your assurances.

Based on the last 2 seasons, your first highlighted assertion is laughable. Blackburn, Nishioka, Capps, Carroll and Correia ring any bells? They didn't put out the money and time-frame for Baker this year and they ran off Hardy for nothing in return because they wouldn't pay him what he was worth last year. The ill-considered contract paid- and time frame given-- to Mauer has crippled their flexibility to address other areas of weakness.

Carroll played to the tune of a War over 2. Not bad for a utility player. Hardy being traded over money is revisionist history at best. If Mauer's contract crippled them, how is it you whine so much about them not spending money they have. If you look at the time when Blackburm was signed to the deal on fangraphs, they had his WAR at 2.5 and 3 for the previous 2 years. That is better than Marcum the last two years. Everybody here thinks signing Marcum would be a good thing. When his sinker quit sinking, the Twins never fixed it. Sometime last year Parker Hagerman showed it in his videos that he was pitching differently. On Baker the Twins wanted the second year, Baker wanted a shot at a huge payday if he has a good year he would hope to get Sanchez kind of money. His numbers will look better in the NL.
Capps spent most of last year injured. Which Capps do you get, the one with the K/9 of 7 or the one of 4.7 ? Was his shoulder wore out and they didn't figure it out in 2011? Correia. Fairly consistent in w/l, IP. 5 mill is not outrageous. Less than Feldman got, the same as Villenueva,

Edited by old nurse, 02 January 2013 - 12:10 AM.

#28 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

Terry Ryan is amassing many parts in pitching to see which ones of them work out. Most are signed for short term(all Starters), so as not to block the hopefully young pitchers that will be here in 1 - 3 years. If the young pitchers do not work out, he can then be assessed on that score, not for trying to balance a fair competitive ballclub now and a very good ballclub of young players in 2 - 3 years. Time to spend money of free agents will be in 2 - 3 years after the holes become apparent. Pitching still wins games and is going to be very expensive all the time.

#29 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,744 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

I was really meh on the Carroll signing when it happened but after last season, you can't say it was a bad signing. Carroll is playing better than the money he's getting.

#30 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

Yeah the Carroll signing was just fine IMO. The Willingham and Doumit ones were great.

Correia could be a stinker, or he could be a #5 for us. If it's the latter then the contract really isn't that terrible. Hell even if he ends up in the pen it's not the worst thing in the world. It's just 5 million.