Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

TR regrets signing Correia already?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 jcphitman

jcphitman

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

Read an interesting yahoo sports article with comments from both Ryan and Correia:
Kevin Correia, Twins finalize $10M, 2-year deal - Yahoo! Sports

Some things that made me question whether TR (BTW, why do people call him JR??? I've seen this for years and always questioned why.) really agreed with signing Correia:

After finalizing a $10 million, two-year contract with Kevin Correia on Thursday, general manager Terry Ryan acknowledged there's no guarantee the right-hander will strengthen the group.

Ryan raised the concern of Correia's adjustment to hitters he hasn't faced much, or at all, plus the addition of the designated hitter to opponent lineups in his transition between leagues.

Ryan also noted Correia's low strikeout figures, particularly in the last two years, realizing there's some risk in this investment.
''I'm not banking on big strikeout totals by him, because he is a big command guy,'' Ryan said.

I also will say Ryan was positive about Correia in the article too (mentioning he liked how Correia's numbers broke down and that the command thing explained his strikeouts as listed in the last quote above). Correia also addressed his lack of strikeouts and mentioned how wins were the most important.

Last funny point:

Last year, the Twins signed veteran right-hander Jason Marquis to be their fifth starter, but he stumbled badly, posting an 8.47 ERA in seven starts with nine home runs allowed in 34 innings. He was released. Ryan said he didn't care to compare Marquis and Correia.
''Sometimes the fit just wasn't meant to be, and I don't have an explanation for that,'' Ryan said. ''But when he left here and went to the Padres, he did fine.''

The big question of course is if Ryan already hints at not guaranteeing improvement to the rotation from Correia, why sign him? I know this has been discussed in other threads, but coming from Ryan just begs the question even more. Why sign him if you don't feel he's going to help? Maybe nobody else wants to sign here ... it could be more truthful than we could ever know.

Great article though. The most detailed article I've found on the Correia signing so far.

#2 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

He's being realistic, really. Think about some of the pitchers that were "guaranteed" to help over the past several years. Think the Mets GM, after getting Santana, would have gone back and said some platitude like there's-no-guarantees-in-baseball if he could?

I've said it before, and I might as well say it again. I doubt Correia makes the rotation much better. But I also doubt he makes it any worse, and that's an important distinction.

Edited by 70charger, 14 December 2012 - 02:19 PM.

#3 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

thanks for linking the article jcp.

I have a feeling that TR was afraid that like musical chairs, the music was eventually going to stop and he wouldn't have a chair. He wanted to make sure he got at least one pitcher. Probably not his first choice, but someone to fill a need. Still hope we have better signings to come.

#4 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

If a pitcher is going to be around replacement level, wouldn't it be better if they were in the growth phase of their career path rather than the decline phase?

#5 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

It bugged me that Ryan quoted his win totals in another article.

#6 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,519 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

Because he's honest... There is no guarantee... No guarantee that Hamilton will improve the Angels either. I'd be jumping on TR if he was saying that Correia was guaranteed to strengthen the group...

On second thought... I'd probably be on here defending him by saying I love the confidence or the way he is standing behind his players or something. I know who I am...

Seriously... Ryan has always been a straight shooter... I do appreciate that.

#7 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,254 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

I don't know about JR, but I regretted it the instant it was reported.

#8 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

He signed him cause he was the only pitcher to agree to a deal at Ryans price.

#9 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

I doubt Correia makes the rotation much better. But I also doubt he makes it any worse, and that's an important distinction.

Enlighten me...exactly what is the important distinction?

#10 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

Enlighten me...exactly what is the important distinction?

Good question.
Lighten up Francis....

#11 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

I have yet to see Ryan directly ask and answer the worst thing about this move:

Why the extra year?
If it was one year, fine who cares...but two?!?!? I am still befuddled.

#12 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Maybe this is part of a master plan to get a high draft slot for the 2014 draft?

#13 Kobs

Kobs

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

Maybe this is part of a master plan to get a high draft slot for the 2014 draft?

I don't know that they need a plan to achieve that goal.

#14 Kobs

Kobs

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

Reading the article, Ryan's quotes don't necessarily jive with the narrative the writer is going for. He basically said that he's not a strikeout pitcher and that he shouldn't have trouble adjusting to the new league.

#15 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

If we had to go with a ****ty Pirates pitcher I'd have rather had Karstens.

#16 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Padres are "strongly pursuing" Edwin Jackson.

While the Pads appear to be big fans of E-Jax, he might ultimately be out of their price range. Rosenthal says the market for Jackson is "strong," and the Padres "may bow out" if the right-hander gets 4-5 years at $12-13 million per season. The Rangers, Brewers, Angels and Indians are also known to have interest in Jackson, though Texas and Milwaukee prefer him on a short-term deal.
Related: Padres

Source: Ken Rosenthal

#17 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

I'm pretty sure the origins of JR go back to the ESPN boards. I'm sure Brock remembers the whole story. I think it has to do with dankind. Either way, I just do it as a habit now because I've been been doing it for years.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#18 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

I don't know that they need a plan to achieve that goal.

Anyone yet skimmed the 2014 draft projections? What with the improvements being made by most of the Twins competition for the No. 1 pick, there's a strong argument that this might be the most productive use of Twins fans' time in 2013.

#19 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,519 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

Reading the article, Ryan's quotes don't necessarily jive with the narrative the writer is going for. He basically said that he's not a strikeout pitcher and that he shouldn't have trouble adjusting to the new league.

the National Enquirer editors would read the article... The thesis from the OP... And then look at the title of the thread... And then say...

"c'mon... Really??? That title will blow your credibility... That's a bt of a stretch... Regrets??? Ryan being abducted by Aliens is less of a stretch. Take the Aliens route for a title of this thread".

#20 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

Of course he regrets it.

#21 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Of course he regrets it.

I'm choosing to take the optimist's tack on this trade and hope that Ryan forsees the Maholm flip of 2012 in Kevin Correia in 2013.

#22 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,519 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Of course he regrets it.

I would imagine that buyers remorse and dealing with it would be a major part of a GM's job.

Just like... "we... us..." regular citizens go thru when we a buy a car. You can second guess yourself for awhile. Did I get the right one??? Did I pay too much??? If I waited longer could I have gotten a better deal???

I don't think the kind of buyers remorse that I am referring to... Is what you or the OP means buy "regrets" or "regrets already".

"Having regrets already" in the context presented is kinda trashy.

#23 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

Regrets or not, those are not words to fire up the fanbase with excitement.....

#24 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

TR was just glibly metaphorizing on Purses 'n Ears mixed in with Silk and Purses.....

this is what some on this board call Ryan's refreshing tell-it-like-it-is honesty.

#25 chagen

chagen

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

You think he regrets it now wait until midway through the season and he has a 5+ era

#26 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,519 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

I don't think Terry Ryan is the guy you send forward to face the public... If you are trying to fire up your fan base.

Terry would be matter of fact straight forward as he told you about winning the lottery or the birth of his children.

If you want to rev up your fan base... I don't know if the Twins have that guy. TC Bear or the Fox North Girls maybe.

#27 chagen

chagen

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

I suppose will hear the new talking point of the Twins he's an innings eater. How about a quality pitcher? Is that to much to ask for?

#28 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

Lowering expectations.

It's the Twins' way.

#29 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

I don't think Terry Ryan is the guy you send forward to face the public... If you are trying to fire up your fan base.

Terry would be matter of fact straight forward as he told you about winning the lottery or the birth of his children.

If you want to rev up your fan base... I don't know if the Twins have that guy. .

Wait! You mean St Peter and St Antony don't do that for you? This is looking more and more like a year to revive: "

The MN Twins...Get to Know 'Em (before we trade 'em, cut 'em or demote 'em)!"

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

Oddly enough, this gives me a bit of faith in JR. He knows Correia isn't a very good pitcher but had to sign somebody because the Twins need pitchers and lots of 'em. At least we know that Ryan doesn't have unreasonable expectations for Correia in that he's going to be some kind of savior in the rotation.

Which hopefully means that he's still pursuing one of the better pitchers left on the market.