Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Carlos Villanueva?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 twinsfaninsaudi

twinsfaninsaudi

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

Can someone explain to me why I have not heard his name brought up at all this offseason?

#2 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:58 AM

I was wondering the same thing. If we're going to be signing scrub starting pitchers, at least sign someone with a little upside.

#3 071063

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

I agree with this! He is better than Corriea.

#4 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

I'd go multi-year and put him in the bullpen when Meyer, May and Gibson are ready. Much better than Correia.

#5 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

He struck out almost 9 batters per 9 last year. Doesn't fit our pitch to contact philosophy.

Seriously, I haven't heard much of anything about him, not only in regards to the Twins but among anything national as well. I agree if we are going after lower tier pitches, I would look closely at him instead of Corriea.

He has pitched and survived in the AL east for the last two years. Although his drawbacks would include the fact that he has never thrown more than 125 innings in a season, he walks more than 3 per 9 innings, his career whip is almost 1.3, but he has given up less than one hit per inning over the last three years. Two of them pitching in the AL east.

I too would consider him a better candidate than Correia.

#6 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

Carlos Villanueva has told Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulous that he still wants to start but would be more willing to compete for a rotation job with them.
Villanueva said last month that he wanted any interested team to guarantee him 30 starts next season, which is something the Blue Jays wouldn't be able to do following their acquisition of Mark Buehrle and Josh Johnson. He could come to camp to compete with J.A. Happ for the final job in the rotation, but the reality is that he's likely to wind up elsewhere

#7 gmarais66

gmarais66

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

He struck out almost 9 batters per 9 last year. Doesn't fit our pitch to contact philosophy.

Seriously, I haven't heard much of anything about him, not only in regards to the Twins but among anything national as well. I agree if we are going after lower tier pitches, I would look closely at him instead of Corriea.

He has pitched and survived in the AL east for the last two years. Although his drawbacks would include the fact that he has never thrown more than 125 innings in a season, he walks more than 3 per 9 innings, his career whip is almost 1.3, but he has given up less than one hit per inning over the last three years. Two of them pitching in the AL east.

I too would consider him a better candidate than Correia.

The lack of interest in him is more likely tied to his personality, rather than his pitching abilities.

#8 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

My guess is there is a lot of reluctance to guarantee him 30 starts. Assuming a quality start every time (which isn't realistic, but is to be hoped for), that's 180 innings. Last year he started 16 games and pitched 125.1 innings, major league career highs for him.

Regardless of his skill level, there is no indication that his body could even handle 30 starts. His max in the minors was 25 starts, and that was 7 years ago.

#9 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

He was serviceable in Milwaukee for years and, as stated, he did a serviceable job in the AL East. I would take him in a heartbeat. He could always go back to bullpen if he failed in his starter role. Lord knows we may need some long middle relievers if the starters don't work long innings. I like him better than Corriea because of his multiple role ability (mindset).

#10 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

I'd take him too, but not if we have to guarantee him 30 starts

#11 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hypothetically the Twins sign him; wouldn't they want him to make 30 starts, if he is physically able? If he falls apart mechanically, or has an injury, that's not a breach of that promise... That's the hole in the rotation he would be filling at #2 or (more likely) #3. That pitcher (Villanueva or someone else) should be making that many starts if they are a free agent pickup.

#12 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

I agree, he totally should. But if he is actually asking for that a 30 start guarantee be written into a contract, that'd be a big issue for most I think

#13 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,165 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

Can someone explain to me why I have not heard his name brought up at all this offseason?

Purely a Guess... But I'm under the impression... rightly or wrongly... that Terry Ryan isn't the type of guy who plays the rumors game at all. I think Terry keeps his cards close to his vest as far as the public is concerned.

Guessing again... but I believe that the Majority if not all Rumors that we find on MLB Trade rumors and elsewhere about the Twins come from the Agents or other sources.

If Villanueva's agent is of similiar mindset with the rumor game. You wouldn't hear about it and the lack of Villanueva rumors in total kind of suggests that. There were very few Correia rumors before the signing.

Just a Guess... Ryan could be talking like a drunk in a bar... I don't know... Just a guess.

#14 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,330 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

There was also a report that the Twins had offers "all over the place" yet the Twins have only been specifically linked to a few players - Liriano, Pavano, Saunders, Lannan, Blanton, Correia - basically the people TD are already on top of. Something doesn't add up.

#15 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

From MLB trade rumors

5:44pm: The Cubs have agreed to sign Carlos Villanueva, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. Terms of the deal are unknown.

6:36pm: Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports and MLB.com's Carrie Muskat report that the two sides are close to a deal but it is not done yet.

#16 twinsfaninsaudi

twinsfaninsaudi

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

From MLB trade rumor5:44pm: The Cubs have agreed to sign Carlos Villanueva, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. Terms of the deal are unknown.

6:36pm: Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports and MLB.com's Carrie Muskat report that the two sides are close to a deal but it is not done yet.

Mmmm…gonna have to watch closely who does better overall between the cluster of pitchers the Cubs signed and those the Twins have this offseason.

#17 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

Mmmm…gonna have to watch closely who does better overall between the cluster of pitchers the Cubs signed and those the Twins have this offseason.

Personally, I'd rather have Baker, Feldman and Villanueva over Corriea and Pelfrey, although the Cubs have been overpaying as badly as the Twins. The Corriea contract is the worst for money spent, although the Feldman contract isn't far behind.

#18 071063

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

If the Cubs add Edwin Jackson and Villanueva to their staff, along with Baker, Garza, Samardzija and Wood, their staff is not too bad, especially when compared to what the Twins would be throwing out there.

#19 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

Cubs signed RHP Carlos Villanueva to a two-year, $10 million contract.

Villanueva has registered a decent 4.11 ERA, 1.27 WHIP and 7.4 K/9 over his last 232 1/3 innings, operating as both a starter and a reliever for the Blue Jays. He'll be used primarily out of the rotation in Chicago and could carry some value in deeper mixed fantasy leagues.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitte

#20 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

Jim Bowden of ESPN.com reports that the Cubs are "now the front runner" for Edwin Jackson.

#21 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

Cubs signed RHP Carlos Villanueva to a two-year, $10 million contract.

Villanueva has registered a decent 4.11 ERA, 1.27 WHIP and 7.4 K/9 over his last 232 1/3 innings, operating as both a starter and a reliever for the Blue Jays. He'll be used primarily out of the rotation in Chicago and could carry some value in deeper mixed fantasy leagues.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitte

Interesting, I wonder what happened to the demand for 30 or more starts. From the quote above, He'll be used primarily out of the rotation. I thought he would be worth a flyer, but I didn't like the thought of having to guarantee starts. I'm not sure the 2 years for 10 million is reliever money.

#22 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Jim Bowden of ESPN.com reports that the Cubs are "now the front runner" for Edwin Jackson.

I read some where that the Cubs are the only ones left, because the contract talks are now at 4 or 5 years. He is a league average guy now, but where will he be at 4 or 5 years down the road.

I would view him just as a placeholder for our rotation. We would need him for only a couple of years, then he wouldn't fit into our long term plans. Hopefully, someone of his ability wouldn't make our top 5 in 2015 and beyond. I may be overly optimistic, but I can't see going 4 or 5 years on Jackson as a good signing. Although we can all find fault with Correia and Pelfrey, that are only 1 and 2 year deals that will have any impact on 2015 and beyond, when hopefully we will be competitive again.

#23 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

Career spot starter with a high 80 fastball. Cubs had to pay 5/mil a year for that? Guess you can't complain that Correia's signing was out of line

#24 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

Twins signed RHP Mike Pelfrey to a one-year, $4 million contract.

The deal was agreed to on Sunday then finalized Thursday morning after the 28-year-old right-hander passed his physical. Pelfrey made only three starts in 2012 due to an elbow injury that eventually required Tommy John reconstructive surgery and owns a pedestrian 4.36 career ERA. He's doubtful to hold any fantasy value in 2013.

#25 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Do you just pick threads at random to post in? Why not put it in one of the multiple Pelfrey threads?

#26 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

Given identical contracts I'd take Villanueva over Correia 10 times out of 10.

#27 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

I'll take the guy that has shown he can pitch in the AL east over a guy that has been middling in the NL central, the money being equal.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#28 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

Career spot starter with a high 80 fastball. Cubs had to pay 5/mil a year for that? Guess you can't complain that Correia's signing was out of line

I would have much preferred Villanueva to Correia. Even if they are both destined for the pen, at least Villanueva has proven he is capable. Correia will be useless other than a long man/garbage time guy seeing as his awful K/9 means a club should never bring him in in high leverage situations with runners on as they will almost certainly advance/score.

#29 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

I'll take the guy that has shown he can pitch in the AL east over a guy that has been middling in the NL central, the money being equal.

And if he falls on his face as a starter at least he can go to the pen and manage to strike a few guys out. When Correia falls on his face your only option is to give him the Blackburn treatment and pay him to pitch for Rochester in 2014.

#30 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

Actually, yeah, the Cubs made out better. Villanueva is 3 years younger (suggests more tradeable and durable), nearly 2 more Ks/9, WHIP of 1.27 vs. Correia's 1.41, proven AL East track record.

I'll admit the evidence suggests he won't eat the innings, but to his credit, he was seeking an opportunity to get a chance to eat the innings, a perfect opportunity to sign an incentivized player to fill a glaring need with the Twins.