Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Most Heart Breaking Twins loss ever?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

I really can't think of anything that I would consider on par with some of the Vikings losses in recent memory. To me Game 163 in 2008 was a great game, but not heart breaking. The closest I can think of Game 2 in 2004. Maybe in retrospect the Eric Fox game?
What does everyone else think?

#2 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,854 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

Game 7, 1965 World Series

#3 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Game 7, 1965 World Series

Yup. One broken 7-year- old heart for sure.

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

Tom Brunansky lost for Tommy Herr.

#5 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Twins abilty to find Pitching talent on the FA market We just lost again to ourselves. Heartbreaking.

#6 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

http://t2.gstatic.co...3eusN-KY03QraaA

#7 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

[quote name='ashburyjohn'][quote name='USAFChief'][quote name='ChiTownTwinsFan']Game 7, 1965 World Series[/QUOTE]

Yup. One broken 7-year- old heart for sure.[/QUOTE]

From your photo I would have guessed you to be a much younger woman.[/QUOTE]

You'd be wrong on both counts.

#8 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

I'm sure this isn't the most heartbreaking one, but I'll never forget May 17, 2002. I was in college at the time and had stayed up way too late watching this game...

The Twins were playing the Yankees in New York and were down 8 to 3 after 5 innings. They came back with 6 runs in the 6th to take a 9-8 lead through a pirhanna-like combo of singles, doubles, and sacrifice flies. Then in the bottom of the 9th Bernie William hit a homerun off Eddie Guardado to tie it at 9. That was heartbreaking enough but was just a taste of what was to come.

The game went into extra innings and there was no scoring until the 14th, but the Yankees left the bases loaded in both the 11th and the 13th. Then in the 14th inning the Twins broke through with three runs. I remember thinking I would finally get to go to bed with a Twins win. But, the Twins had used up all their relievers and had only Mike Trombley left, who was clinging on to the end of his career. He came in for the bottom of the 14th and promptly gave up 2 singles and a walk, followed by a grand slam by Jason Giambi. Just like that, after 14 innings, the Yankees won.

I remember the look on Trombley's face as Gimabi rounded the bases - it was like he was disoriented, in too much shock to even be frustrated, just dazed and confused at what just happened. He had a couple more garbage-time outings but was released at the end of the month and his career was over. Pretty sad ending to a workman-like career.

#9 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

When they lost the last two games against the Red Sox in 67 and missed the World Series.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#10 Ben B

Ben B

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

My two votes have already been mentioned. ALDS Game 2 in 2004 and the ALDS game in 2006 against the A's with Kotsay's inside the park homer. I was at the A's game and you could just feel the Dome deflate. I knew it was over then.

#11 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

Already been mentioned, but that 2008 tiebreaker was pretty heartbreaking. Blackburn actually pitched a hell of a game there; Thome home run was the deciding factor.

#12 TwinsFanInPhilly

TwinsFanInPhilly

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Twins were tied for the AL West lead only a few days prior and were still in the race on 9/28/1984 when this happened:

Box Score of Game played on Friday, September 28, 1984 at Cleveland Stadium

I remember it like it was yesterday.

#13 luke829

luke829

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

I'm sure this isn't the most heartbreaking one, but I'll never forget May 17, 2002. I was in college at the time and had stayed up way too late watching this game...

The Twins were playing the Yankees in New York and were down 8 to 3 after 5 innings. They came back with 6 runs in the 6th to take a 9-8 lead through a pirhanna-like combo of singles, doubles, and sacrifice flies. Then in the bottom of the 9th Bernie William hit a homerun off Eddie Guardado to tie it at 9. That was heartbreaking enough but was just a taste of what was to come.

The game went into extra innings and there was no scoring until the 14th, but the Yankees left the bases loaded in both the 11th and the 13th. Then in the 14th inning the Twins broke through with three runs. I remember thinking I would finally get to go to bed with a Twins win. But, the Twins had used up all their relievers and had only Mike Trombley left, who was clinging on to the end of his career. He came in for the bottom of the 14th and promptly gave up 2 singles and a walk, followed by a grand slam by Jason Giambi. Just like that, after 14 innings, the Yankees won.

I remember the look on Trombley's face as Gimabi rounded the bases - it was like he was disoriented, in too much shock to even be frustrated, just dazed and confused at what just happened. He had a couple more garbage-time outings but was released at the end of the month and his career was over. Pretty sad ending to a workman-like career.

You just opened up some old emotional wounds with that.
Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

#14 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

Dont remember what year, thinking 1993. Eric Fox hits a 3 run HR off of Rick Aguilera. A's went on to win the division and sent the twins into an era of putrid baseball

#15 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,311 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Twins were tied for the AL West lead only a few days prior and were still in the race on 9/28/1984 when this happened:

Box Score of Game played on Friday, September 28, 1984 at Cleveland Stadium

I remember it like it was yesterday.

Is that the one where Gaetti said afterward in self-reproach, "it's pretty tough to play this game with both hands wrapped around your throat"?

Or the one where Ron Davis cried?

#16 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

2009 game 2 ALDS. Was there in person, I actually thought we had that game won. ugggghhhhhh

#17 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

Pick any game that we've played the Yankees.

#18 JeffB

JeffB

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

Game 3, 2009 ALDS vs. Yankees (last game in Dome). Twins were on a roll, ready to take the lead when this happened:

Screen shot 2012-12-12 at 7.00.01 PM.jpg

#19 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

the 1st game of 2013.....gardy is still here:banghead:

#20 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,652 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

I remember almost all of these and am now calling my doctor to ask for some antidepressant medication.