Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Most Heart Breaking Twins loss ever?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

I really can't think of anything that I would consider on par with some of the Vikings losses in recent memory. To me Game 163 in 2008 was a great game, but not heart breaking. The closest I can think of Game 2 in 2004. Maybe in retrospect the Eric Fox game?
What does everyone else think?

#2 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,577 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

Game 7, 1965 World Series

#3 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Game 7, 1965 World Series

Yup. One broken 7-year- old heart for sure.

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

Tom Brunansky lost for Tommy Herr.

#5 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Twins abilty to find Pitching talent on the FA market We just lost again to ourselves. Heartbreaking.

#6 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

http://t2.gstatic.co...3eusN-KY03QraaA

#7 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

[quote name='ashburyjohn'][quote name='USAFChief'][quote name='ChiTownTwinsFan']Game 7, 1965 World Series[/QUOTE]

Yup. One broken 7-year- old heart for sure.[/QUOTE]

From your photo I would have guessed you to be a much younger woman.[/QUOTE]

You'd be wrong on both counts.

#8 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

I'm sure this isn't the most heartbreaking one, but I'll never forget May 17, 2002. I was in college at the time and had stayed up way too late watching this game...

The Twins were playing the Yankees in New York and were down 8 to 3 after 5 innings. They came back with 6 runs in the 6th to take a 9-8 lead through a pirhanna-like combo of singles, doubles, and sacrifice flies. Then in the bottom of the 9th Bernie William hit a homerun off Eddie Guardado to tie it at 9. That was heartbreaking enough but was just a taste of what was to come.

The game went into extra innings and there was no scoring until the 14th, but the Yankees left the bases loaded in both the 11th and the 13th. Then in the 14th inning the Twins broke through with three runs. I remember thinking I would finally get to go to bed with a Twins win. But, the Twins had used up all their relievers and had only Mike Trombley left, who was clinging on to the end of his career. He came in for the bottom of the 14th and promptly gave up 2 singles and a walk, followed by a grand slam by Jason Giambi. Just like that, after 14 innings, the Yankees won.

I remember the look on Trombley's face as Gimabi rounded the bases - it was like he was disoriented, in too much shock to even be frustrated, just dazed and confused at what just happened. He had a couple more garbage-time outings but was released at the end of the month and his career was over. Pretty sad ending to a workman-like career.

#9 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

When they lost the last two games against the Red Sox in 67 and missed the World Series.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#10 Ben B

Ben B

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

My two votes have already been mentioned. ALDS Game 2 in 2004 and the ALDS game in 2006 against the A's with Kotsay's inside the park homer. I was at the A's game and you could just feel the Dome deflate. I knew it was over then.

#11 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

Already been mentioned, but that 2008 tiebreaker was pretty heartbreaking. Blackburn actually pitched a hell of a game there; Thome home run was the deciding factor.

#12 TwinsFanInPhilly

TwinsFanInPhilly

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Twins were tied for the AL West lead only a few days prior and were still in the race on 9/28/1984 when this happened:

Box Score of Game played on Friday, September 28, 1984 at Cleveland Stadium

I remember it like it was yesterday.

#13 luke829

luke829

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

I'm sure this isn't the most heartbreaking one, but I'll never forget May 17, 2002. I was in college at the time and had stayed up way too late watching this game...

The Twins were playing the Yankees in New York and were down 8 to 3 after 5 innings. They came back with 6 runs in the 6th to take a 9-8 lead through a pirhanna-like combo of singles, doubles, and sacrifice flies. Then in the bottom of the 9th Bernie William hit a homerun off Eddie Guardado to tie it at 9. That was heartbreaking enough but was just a taste of what was to come.

The game went into extra innings and there was no scoring until the 14th, but the Yankees left the bases loaded in both the 11th and the 13th. Then in the 14th inning the Twins broke through with three runs. I remember thinking I would finally get to go to bed with a Twins win. But, the Twins had used up all their relievers and had only Mike Trombley left, who was clinging on to the end of his career. He came in for the bottom of the 14th and promptly gave up 2 singles and a walk, followed by a grand slam by Jason Giambi. Just like that, after 14 innings, the Yankees won.

I remember the look on Trombley's face as Gimabi rounded the bases - it was like he was disoriented, in too much shock to even be frustrated, just dazed and confused at what just happened. He had a couple more garbage-time outings but was released at the end of the month and his career was over. Pretty sad ending to a workman-like career.

You just opened up some old emotional wounds with that.
Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

#14 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

Dont remember what year, thinking 1993. Eric Fox hits a 3 run HR off of Rick Aguilera. A's went on to win the division and sent the twins into an era of putrid baseball

#15 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,858 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Twins were tied for the AL West lead only a few days prior and were still in the race on 9/28/1984 when this happened:

Is that the one where Gaetti said afterward in self-reproach, "it's pretty tough to play this game with both hands wrapped around your throat"?

Or the one where Ron Davis cried?

#16 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,254 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

2009 game 2 ALDS. Was there in person, I actually thought we had that game won. ugggghhhhhh

#17 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

Pick any game that we've played the Yankees.

#18 JeffB

JeffB

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

Game 3, 2009 ALDS vs. Yankees (last game in Dome). Twins were on a roll, ready to take the lead when this happened:

Screen shot 2012-12-12 at 7.00.01 PM.jpg

#19 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

the 1st game of 2013.....gardy is still here:banghead:

#20 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,511 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

I remember almost all of these and am now calling my doctor to ask for some antidepressant medication.

#21 freshinthehouse

freshinthehouse

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Dunno if it has been mentioned, but game 4 of the 2004 ALDS was disgusting. Up 5-2 late, Rincon gives up that bomb to Ruben Sierra.
BYTO R.I.P.

#22 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Dunno if it has been mentioned, but game 4 of the 2004 ALDS was disgusting. Up 5-2 late, Rincon gives up that bomb to Ruben Sierra.

This. That was the best Twins team in this entire run. Up 5-1 going to the 8th and Rincon had been a stud all year and coughed it up. Haven't won a playoff game since. That whole series was a heartbreaker.
Papers...business papers.

#23 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

This thread is depressing, but enjoyable on some level. Lots of good mentions so far.

I'm going to go with game 1 of the 2006 ALDS, Santana vs Zito. That was heartbreaking to me because there was so much momentum and anticipation going into that postseason, but once we lost that game, I knew it was over.

The various playoff losses to the Yankees where we had a late lead and blew it were all heartbreaking, but there were so many that they all just kind of blend together for me.

The Vikings have broken a lot of hearts too, but you've at least got to give them style points for finding new, interesting and creative ways to torture their fans. I mean to say, taking yourself out of range of a game-winning field goal in the NFC championship game with a too many men on the field penalty?! Not just anyone could come up with that. With the Twins, it's the opposite. Losing to the same team. The same way. Every. Single. Year.

#24 Izzy997

Izzy997

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

My two votes have already been mentioned. ALDS Game 2 in 2004 and the ALDS game in 2006 against the A's with Kotsay's inside the park homer. I was at the A's game and you could just feel the Dome deflate. I knew it was over then.

Was that the play Torii botched? I was there also and you're right, the life went out of the place after that.

#25 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,736 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

This. That was the best Twins team in this entire run. Up 5-1 going to the 8th and Rincon had been a stud all year and coughed it up. Haven't won a playoff game since. That whole series was a heartbreaker.

2010's team was pretty good too. I went in to that playoffs pretty high on that team so Game 1 was a soul-crusher. But I'd rank this game ahead of it, but I would nominate Game 2 of that same series. Koskie's ball stays in the park and we may win that sucker. Extra inning dramatics only made it worse. We had a chance to put a 2-0 stranglehold on that series too.

#26 freshinthehouse

freshinthehouse

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

Yessir. Every playoff loss since hasn't been as bad IMO because we were the inferior team. Even in 2006 our rotation was in shambles once Radke got hurt. A few things go our way in 2004 and we get past the Yankees.
BYTO R.I.P.

#27 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

I'd choose Game 2 of that series over Game 4. Up one game to zero (which the Twins won in Yankee stadium), the boys rally to tie up the second game in Yankee stadium in the eighth inning. In extra innings, the Twins gain a lead in the top of the 12th on (if I remember right) a home run by Hunter. But Nathan goes out for his third consecutive inning to try and close it out and loses on three walks and a double.

The Twins would have been up 2-0 and coming home had they held onto that one. Game 4 was practically anti-climactic after that.

#28 Ben B

Ben B

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

Was that the play Torii botched? I was there also and you're right, the life went out of the place after that.

Yep, that was the Torii play. I remember Cuddyer and Morneau had just hit back-to-back homers to tie it and the place was electric...and then the very next inning, that happened.

#29 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

2004 ALDS game 2.

#30 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

Is that the one where Gaetti said afterward in self-reproach, "it's pretty tough to play this game with both hands wrapped around your throat"?

Or the one where Ron Davis cried?

It's the Gaetti game. Although i think the quote was closer to "it's hard to throw to first with both hands wrapped around your neck."