Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

CHW 6, MIN 2: White-Hot White Sox

twins vs white sox minnesota twins chicago white sox
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 joefish

joefish

• 225 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:08 AM

The strike zone used in the graphic here is not the same strike zone used on the tv monitors we watch the game on which stop at the high belt. Which the umps cannot see. So who is to say what was missed or not.

#22 wsnydes

wsnydes

Baseball season goes past September?!

• 3,998 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:15 AM

Looking at the pitch chart, I only see two pitches that are clearly outside the zone (and three that may or may not be touching the edge). I don't think this qualifies as "all over the place.". I don't think the umpire was the problem.

This was my thought too. Those calls didn't look particularly egregious. Room for improvement, sure. But he was consistent in calling those as well.

Chalk this up to the human element in my book.  

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

#23 4twinsJA

4twinsJA

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 142 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:17 AM

The inconsistency of pitch calling last night seemed to be an issue, would like to see called strike/ball chart when Twins pitching to compare.

#24 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 389 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:21 AM

Congrats to Travis Blankenhorn who made his major league debut, turned a DP and got his 1st major league hit.

• mikelink45 likes this

#25 spycake

spycake

• 18,391 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:30 AM

Okay, here are the called strike comparisons:

NjqPoXW.png

VhYRWtw.png

#26 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,005 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:54 AM

I tuned in late, and only briefly, and did not see Buxton's round-tripper. Just now I watched the video. I swear, the man wasn't even going at his hardest*, just the long-legged stride, for most of the way, until after he rounded second! Incredible. At his best he makes the game seem easy.

* Don't misconstrue - that long stride involves a lot of effort, and he was still reading the defense's play on the ball. Reread my last sentence.

• rdehring likes this

A word to the wise is sufficient, but who can remember the word?

#27 heresthething

heresthething

Elizabethton Twins

• 12 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:56 AM

The 7 or 8 seed is looking better and better. The yankees are getting healthy and mashing. Is Wes Johnson doing anything? The pitching staff is really regressing

The Yankees and all of their fans are looking at the standings and have to be thinking whatever it takes let's do all we can so we play the Twins.  

• rdehring and KFEY93 like this

#28 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,526 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:00 AM

This is what I think I'm seeing: the CWS has more talented starters than we do. They have an everyday lineup that, talent-wise, is our equal or better, with the exception of perhaps a slight edge to the Twins defensively. The CWS bullpen depth is comparable.

But the REAL advantage they have is that they're performing, game in and game out, at a very high level, and with a palpable energy.

They're simply the better team, IMO. Exactly what I feared coming into the season.

• mikelink45, rdehring, heresthething and 2 others like this

#29 joefish

joefish

• 225 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:28 AM

Buxton was not running full speed until he saw hat the ball was misplayed. Like Marwin. Like Rosie. Like too many recently. Why run hard if...

#30 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,574 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:02 PM

Congrats to Travis Blankenhorn who made his major league debut, turned a DP and got his 1st major league hit.

Wish he had been here sooner.Adrianza could have been replaced or Arraez could have been on the IL earlier.

• KFEY93 likes this

#31 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 5,201 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:25 PM

.....Dobnak's toast

Burnt toast!

#32 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 5,201 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:34 PM

Buxton was not running full speed until he saw hat the ball was misplayed. Like Marwin. Like Rosie. Like too many recently. Why run hard if...

Usually not the case for Buxton, but he wasn't really loafing, either. In fact, one could be more upset about the fact that he slid at home, risking injury, when he could have easily crossed the plate standing up, still. But you are correct, that these guys still don't run out the play, or pay attention and take off immediately on a missed swinging third strike. I mean really. What else do they have to do? It really isn't that hard of a job, to run full speed to first base. Sano didn't even make it to first tonight - not even close - on and infield grounder. Didn't even get up to 1/3 speed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twins vs white sox, minnesota twins, chicago white sox