Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

GAME THREAD: 9/15/20, Minnesota Twins @ Chicago White Sox, 7:10 CDT

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#1 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

Official Bat Boy

• 3,575 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 05:21 PM

The Twins looked miserable at the plate last night with runners on base, including Nelson Cruz stranding 9 runners, including the bases loaded twice. However, the game was still in reach, until the bottom of the 8th when Taylor Rogers struggled once again, which has been a common theme this year. I think Rocco is going to keep giving him the ball in high leverage situation, but I don't know if it will be the 9th inning from here on out. 

The Pitchers: RHP Randy Dobnak (6-3, 42.1 IP, 3.61 ERA, 23 SO) vs RHP Dane Dunning (1-0, 20 IP, 2.70 ERA, 21 SO)

Tonight is the battle of the goggles, as Dobnak and Dunning will both sport a pair tonight. On the mound, we have seen Dobnak have some negative regression, which everyone saw coming. Last time out we saw him start on short rest and just lose command of the zone against the Cardinals, something that doesn't happen to him very often. Dobnak does have 4 scoreless against the CWS thus far. Opposing Dobnak, is rookie Dane Dunning, who has 4 career starts, and has allowed 0 runs in two of them. However, he hasn't exactly faced a murduer's row, as he has faced KC 2x, Detroit, and Pittsburgh. Those are some of the worst offensives in baseball. Dunning has obviously never faced the Twins, so look for the Twins to either by hyper aggressive early, or take a lot of pitches the first time through.

The Lineups:

Twins

RF Max Kepler L
3B J. Donaldson R
SS J. Polanco S
DH Nelson Cruz R
LF E. Rosario L
1B Miguel Sano R
2B T. Blankenhorn L
CF Byron Buxton R
C Ryan Jeffers R

White Sox

SS Tim Anderson R
3B Yoan Moncada S
DH Y. Grandal S
1B Jose Abreu R
LF Eloy Jimenez R
C James McCann R
CF Luis Robert R
RF Adam Engel R
2B N. Madrigal R

Max Kepler is back at the top of the lineup for the third time in three days, and has Josh Donaldson right behind him, which has been good news so far. Sano is back in the lineup, as is Rosario, both who sat out yesterday with soreness. Rookie Travis Blakenhorn will be making his MLB debut at 2nd base, somewhere he played a fair amount in the minor leagues. Blakenhorn is a very large human to be playing 2nd base, and looks like he should be playing linebacker in the NFL. I expect to see him at 2nd 4 or 5 times a week until Arraez is back. The White Sox have a very similar lineup to last night, but Edwin Encarnacion is not in the lineup, and McCan takes over for him, sliding Grandal to DH. Last nights hero Adam Engel will be starting in right field for Nomar Mazara. No White Sox hitter has taken Dobnak deep in their career. 

This Day In History - 2002: Defeating the Indians after a 67-minute rain delay, 5-0, the Twins clinch the American League Central Division flag. Minnesota, which will be making its first playoff appearance since 1991, was almost eliminated during the offseason due to contraction.

Pick to Click - Rosario ambushes the Rookie for a homer tonight

Go Twins!!!

• birdwatcher and DocBauer like this

Career Game Thread Record: 23-8

Safe to say I am the key to the Twins' success 

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,113 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 15 September 2020 - 05:50 PM

I'd like to see Garver back

• blindeke likes this

#3 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,926 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:03 PM

Predictions: Blankenhorn gets his first hit,the Twins hit three homers and Dobnak goes six innings. Twins win 7-2.
  • 70charger likes this

#4 denarded

denarded

• 202 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:04 PM

I don't like this lineup....I love it (unless Blankenhorn sucks)

• 70charger likes this
Wikipedia is for suckers

#5 70charger

70charger

• 4,766 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:10 PM

Looks like a good lineup today!

#6 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,926 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:11 PM

When was the last time the starting pitchers for both teams wore corrective lenses?

#7 70charger

70charger

• 4,766 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:13 PM

Two batters in and we're already confused about what the umpire is calling. Great...

#8 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,113 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:15 PM

well that's not how you want to start a game

• USAFChief likes this

#9 flpmagikat

flpmagikat

• 106 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:17 PM

Yeah, for all the talk about time it takes for players to find their grooves, what about the umps? lol. just terrible this season. auto umps next year please

• diehardtwinsfan, 70charger and MVP Nick Punto like this

#10 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 26,749 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:19 PM

Polanco's range is...not rangy.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,113 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:24 PM

Yeah, for all the talk about time it takes for players to find their grooves, what about the umps? lol. just terrible this season. auto umps next year please

when is the last time they had a good season?

• flpmagikat likes this

#12 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,739 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:27 PM

I'd like to see Garver back

The way he was playing before he went down, I'd prefer to see more Jeffers and get Avila back.

Garver had a sizeable chunk of time to get right, and he never got close. I'm afraid Mitch may be hoping for a chance to platoon in an MLB backwater like Arizona, Baltimore, or Miami sooner than later. Flash-in-the-pan seasons happen all the time, it looks likely to me that Mitch Garver will likely just be another trivia footnote.

#13 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,895 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:29 PM

Whoooole lot of pitches already

• USAFChief and bighat like this

#14 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 26,749 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:31 PM

The problem of not being able to throw the ball past any hitters. Lack of a put away pitch.

#15 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,895 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:32 PM

The good story that was Dobnak is turning sour in a hurry. 

• bighat likes this

#16 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,895 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:34 PM

Hits are hits, Dick. If we only had more than 2 with RISP last night we’d be in good shape

#17 flpmagikat

flpmagikat

• 106 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:34 PM

Can't wait to hear how this is Rosario's fault...I kid, I kid. This is really discouraging after the past couple weeks.

#18 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,895 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:35 PM

31 pitches to get 3 outs. Not ideal

#19 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,739 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Chicago's eyes must have lit up when they saw Dobnak's name on the scorecard tonight. Meatballs for dinner.

#20 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 26,749 posts
  • LocationTucson

The way he was playing before he went down, I'd prefer to see more Jeffers and get Avila back.

Garver had a sizeable chunk of time to get right, and he never got close. I'm afraid Mitch may be hoping for a chance to platoon in an MLB backwater like Arizona, Baltimore, or Miami sooner than later. Flash-in-the-pan seasons happen all the time, it looks likely to me that Mitch Garver will likely just be another trivia footnote.

He certainly struggled this year, but he has 800 PAs of an .829 OPS. I'm not sure 61 PAs this year is a "sizable chunk," at least not enough to conclude much.

I don't think he's a .900 OPS hitter like last year, but I'll wager he's not a .400 OPS hitter, either.

• stringer bell and twinbythebay like this