Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Can the Twins Trust Taylor Rogers?

taylor rogers
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 SoDakTwinsFan4

SoDakTwinsFan4

Elizabethton Twins

• 39 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:46 PM

I've never been comfortable with him as our closer. Too many right handed batters across the league can have even a slight advantage late in a game.

I like Alcala and May

#22 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 146 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 03:52 PM

I was watching the ChiSox broadcast last night (cuz they might be the best broadcast in MLB nowadays) and when the Twins went to Rogers last night they said the lefty matchup is where they win their games.

And that is exactly what happened.

With a wRC+ of 149 vs LHP on the season, that is a ridiculous spot to put Rogers in. I think more than the win, Rocco had "test" in mind for Rogers. Best to find out now, in September rather than October, how the lefty can perform against that lineup.

And he got his answer. 

It's unfortunate one of our best bullpen weapons is a liability against the Sox, but baseball is a bittersweet science and that science is bitter about that matchup for any LHP.

He's a liability against everyone as far as I can tell this season. 

#23 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,932 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 05:54 PM

I could copy and paste what I typed in the game recap, but I’m not. He’s been an interesting case. You spelled it out perfectly. All of the underlying stats scream bad luck. He has a track record of success, and with more time, I’m sure we would see positive regression towards his FIP and other underlying stats.
The next couple of weeks are going to be crucial to see if he can be the fireman this postseason.

I guess this is where I stand. You just can't have so many positive underlying numbers and a high BABIP and say the guy is cooked. But at the same time, there simply has to be something mechanical taking place he needs to figure out because even with only 17IP bad luck for his BABIP can only go so far. And then it means despite his other good numbers he's grooving a few pitches he hasn't the past 2 seasons.

They have 2 weeks to get him right. And they need him right, whether he remains the closer or not.

May is in the same situation despite not being the focus here. His velocity, SO numbers and most all peripherals seem to be career bests and yet he seems to be allowing HR at an alarming pace. Then he finishes things off by SO the side.

Both this guys are talented and important with some big stuff. And both need to figure it out over the next 2 weeks. Need Johnson and company to work some magic and get them on a roll.

• Melissa likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#24 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,566 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:54 PM

no - RP are very volatile - look at Kimbrel with the Cubs.17 innings might be a SSS for some but not a reliever.That is potentially 17 games.He might come back next year, but stop putting him out where he can cost a game this year.And start looking for the closer for the playoffs. 

• jun likes this

#25 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 5,196 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:19 PM

NO!

#26 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,990 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:44 AM

No.

A word to the wise is sufficient, but who can remember the word?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: taylor rogers