Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Coffey is for (setting up) closers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...ing-up)-closers

#2 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:33 AM

It could be that he needed to adjust and get his slider more in the strike zone - that batter figured out to stay off that pitch because it was almost never hittable. The adjustment he made was to get it in there enough to keep them honest. I think I'll take him either way. You're still talking about a guy with a good strikeout rate, an average walk rate and a low hit rate.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,194 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

For <$2 Million, there is little risk. He's similar to Matt Capps, and that's solid. There aren't any givens remaining in the reliever market, so might as well get a solid one.

#4 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

It could be that he needed to adjust and get his slider more in the strike zone - that batter figured out to stay off that pitch because it was almost never hittable. The adjustment he made was to get it in there enough to keep them honest.

I considered that but I'm not sold on that being correct. Swing rate was at 45% in '09 -- well above average. The adjustment brought the swing rate up to 50%. Not a substantial difference. Besides, his walk rate on the slider was lower in '09 when it was in the zone less than it was in '11 when it was in the zone more. So no, I don't think that is the reason for the adjustment.